PDA

View Full Version : Surge Brakes Sticking in Reverse - Help!

Trent 197
08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Guys,

I took my 2011 X2 out Saturday. Everything was fine until I got back to storage and starting backing the boat into the unit. The surge brakes kept locking up. I checked the connection. The blinkers and brake lights were operational. I unplugged and replugged in the 7 prong. I turned on and off the truck. Nothing worked.

I went back and found the mechanism on the underside of the tongue. It would not depress and stay depressed. After working with it for a while I got it to depress, but after I backed up a few feet it would pop back out. I had to go do it again, over and over, until I finally got the boat all the way into the unit.

How do the surge brakes work exactly? Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks,

Trent

p.s. I've attached a photo of the underside of the tongue for reference.

Alan-S
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Were the white reverse lights turning on?

Eagle
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I had a similar problem and got a slug to put in the slider to keep the brakes from locking when backing up. I think a coin (nickle?) will also fit to serve as a lockout.

kskonn
08-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I had this issue and it turned out I was missing a fuse on my truck to provide power to the reverse lights in the trailer. It also serves to deactivate the brakes on the trailer while on reverse. Have someone check to see if the reverse lights are on when backing up as suggested above.

kgrove
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Short term fix: there is a hole on the side of the actuator where you can insert a long bolt, screw driver, or rod that will keep the actuator from engaging the brakes while you back up. Remember to remove this before driving for real as it completely disengages the surge brakes.

Long term fix: sounds like the surge brakes are failing to disengage like they are supposed to when your transmission is in reverse. This could be an issue with the electrical connection to the trailer or it could be a bad solenoid on the actuator. If the reverse lights work correctly on the trailer, it is a bad solenoid. If the reverse lights aren't on, the trailer is not getting the reverse signal which tells the solenoid to bypass the brakes.

kevkan
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
2008 trailer... I've had this same problem from time to time. I keep a 1/4" bolt in my console just for this reason. I've checked the wiring on my truck, reverse wire is good. I did check and make sure my brakes weren't hanging up all the time. (They weren't) Other than that, I keep a bolt handy for the 1 in 10 times the brakes lock up in reverse.

Hummer2134
08-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Had the exact same problem this past weekend and got stuck for 2 hrs. Turns out the person who installed the 7 plug connector on my truck had only hooked up 6 of the wires. All lights worked including reverse lights so it was a bit confusing. I can say the trailer brakes work well because it bent my ranch hand bumpers on my duramax when I was backing into boat locker. Best bet is to check wiring of tow vehicle.

wheelerd
08-15-2012, 02:31 AM
I bought one of these lockout caps not too long ago. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-A-60-Top-Lockout-Upgrade-34359-A-60-Brake-Lockout-Cap-/
Just a quick turn in the event the reverse solenoid ever stops working.

petermegan
08-15-2012, 05:03 AM
As you select reverse and the reverse lights activate on the trailer, current is sent to a solenoid which gives you a bypass of the brake circuit so the brakes will not apply when backing up. Problem can be no current at your plug from your truck because the plug is not wired for reversing lights or there is a fault in your truck's wiring. There is a break in the wire from the plug to the solenoid (near your master cylinder), or the solenoid is faulty. My actuator doesn't have a hole for a pin, but a washer can stop it from sliding. If you google your actuator you will get a breakdown for parts. I am suspicious the lever on the underside is actually a hand bleeder for your brakes and not intended for reversing, but not sure of this. Hope this helps. Have fun

houtexX30
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
check the fuse in your truck. should be under the hood.. Its happened to me on a number of trailers and vehicles. There should be a specific fuse just for the trailer reverse signal

jgraham37128
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Exact same thing happened to me this year. I bought a 2010 X2 that was sold brand new in May of 2011. The orignial owner stored it on the lift so he never used the trailer. When hauling it home the GPS sent me thru a route that had a 9ft railroad bridge. I didn't have the five pronge plug for the trailer yet, so long story short I backed up traffic for 30 minutes but a lot of nice people from Knoxville got out of their cars and we unhooked it and pushed it back manually and then re hooked it up. Trust me it's a bad place to be, but it worked out.

So we stopped by the first Advanced Auto parts and bought the 4 prong adapter. Did a test and it still locked up. Got back to Nashville and started testing everything the back up on my truck was working but the brakes wouldn't release. Long story short again it was the brake release solenoid in the trailer. I was told this is very odd. I called boat mate trailers and they gave another number to the manufacture who makes the tonges. I called him and he said that was very odd too but sent me a new solenoid with instructions. I also requested an adapter in case it ever did this again and it was in my package. I decided to do it myself instead of hauling back to the dealer. It took about an hour but was no big deal at all. Once complete it has worked fine ever since, but I have used the plug too when I brought my old truck out once to haul it and forgot I didn't have a plug at all on it so it couldn't unlock the brakes. I was so glad I had the adapter plug it was a lifesaver.

Here's what I would do and in the order I would do it.

1.Check to see if the truck is sending a signal to the trailer with a test light. The fourth prong should light up when the truck is placed in reverse. This takes two people.

2. If the test light does light up when in reverse, listen to the actuator in the tongue of the trailer and you should hear it click. If not then I would replace it. If the test light doesn't light up the fifth prong then it's truck related, and now it's time to trouble shoot that part.

Hope this helps.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I watched a guy with his new to him 197 trying to pull his boat out unsuccessfully.

He had no idea and neither did I. I do now. :toast:

Sodar
08-15-2012, 06:27 PM
For all you guys with the new UFP actuators, having a lock-out key is never a bad idea.

http://caltrailerworks.com/online/product.php?productid=883

http://caltrailerworks.com/online/image.php?type=P&id=883

Rossterman
08-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Also added the lockout cap mentioned in earlier post as a contigency as i have the small lockout key and it has to be taped in to stay put when backing. Also heard folks have reversed the 4 prong to get power to the solenoid when 5 prong wasnt available using power that normally goes to the running lights when the adapter is connected correctly

CCAnderson
08-17-2012, 11:08 AM
If you do not have the 5 pin connector on your vehicle you flip the 4 pin over connecting only 3 of the pins and turn on the headlights. this puts power to the brake lockout solenoid so you can back up. Other alternative is take a nickel and wedge it into the slide mechanism.

petermegan
08-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Sorry,I was wrong, it appears that lever is to release the brakes, not to hand bleed. My wrong.:)

As you select reverse and the reverse lights activate on the trailer, current is sent to a solenoid which gives you a bypass of the brake circuit so the brakes will not apply when backing up. Problem can be no current at your plug from your truck because the plug is not wired for reversing lights or there is a fault in your truck's wiring. There is a break in the wire from the plug to the solenoid (near your master cylinder), or the solenoid is faulty. My actuator doesn't have a hole for a pin, but a washer can stop it from sliding. If you google your actuator you will get a breakdown for parts. I am suspicious the lever on the underside is actually a hand bleeder for your brakes and not intended for reversing, but not sure of this. Hope this helps. Have fun