PDA

View Full Version : What advice did you get from your father-in-law?

oxberger
08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
One of our members here on TT has recently got engaged, in addition to the congrats I gave some advice my father-in-law gave me for long and happy marriage. The advice was

"Son, there are 5 words that will get you through the good and the bad of marriage and keep you 2 together for life. The first 3 are... I love you.. the last 2 are... Yes Dear.":D

My in-laws have been together 54 years. So he may be on to something. After posting this another member asked what advice others have recieved from there in-laws prior to getting hitched. So what advice were you given? Has any of it worked?

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
this advice came from my uncle, not my FIL, but still holds true:

"DON'T GET MARRIED WITHOUT A PRENUP"

oxberger
08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I hope you didn't have to find out if this was good advice.

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
let me put it to you this way Ox... My kid asked me one day "Daddy, how much does it cost to get married..."

My reply?

"I don;t know sweety, i'm still paying for it..."

oxberger
08-14-2012, 02:51 PM
LOL! Sorry to laugh but that's a great quote. Man that sucks!

lukedeuce
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I asked the same thing in my post too....interested in what some people have heard or given

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I asked the same thing in my post too....interested in what some people have heard or given

I will say that there would be alot less women willing to walk down the aisle if they knew there'd be no financial security blanket waiting for them in the even of a failure.

if you say pre-nup and she walks, she was in it for the wrong reason, IMO. consider it an like an insurance plan - hope you never need it, but damn glad u have it just in case.

Another bit of advise?

Buy that car/boat or take the vacation trip of your dreams beforehand, because after that its a negotiation, or you'll be doubling up for her.

oxberger
08-14-2012, 03:55 PM

You're the one that gave me the idea for the thread. Good job!:D

kdr
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
My FIL was notorious for giving the sex talk before the wedding. My sister-in-law got one, her first husband, and my Brother-in-law got one. My FIL at least had enough sense to not talk about this with my brother-in-law's bride.

I got all kinds of warnings about this before the my wedding, so my bride and I made sure to never be alone with him in the time leading up to the wedding. My wife and I made it without getting the dreaded talk. Then after the wedding, when we had a moment, she told me that my FIL gave her the talk during the Father-Daughter dance. He actually said to her "Men are like microwaves and women are like crockpots, so make sure your husband takes the time to take care of you".

The best part of it is when you watch the wedding video you can see the exact moment when the talk begins based on the mortified expression on my wife's face.

oxberger
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
KDR, that is too funny. He had to get it in somehow. Would love to see that video.

ahhudgins
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
My FIL was notorious for giving the sex talk before the wedding. My sister-in-law got one, her first husband, and my Brother-in-law got one. My FIL at least had enough sense to not talk about this with my brother-in-law's bride.

I got all kinds of warnings about this before the my wedding, so my bride and I made sure to never be alone with him in the time leading up to the wedding. My wife and I made it without getting the dreaded talk. Then after the wedding, when we had a moment, she told me that my FIL gave her the talk during the Father-Daughter dance. He actually said to her "Men are like microwaves and women are like crockpots, so make sure your husband takes the time to take care of you".

The best part of it is when you watch the wedding video you can see the exact moment when the talk begins based on the mortified expression on my wife's face.

My FIL is an idiot and I wouldn't take any advice from him if he paid me.:rolleyes:

I heard a quote from Dr. Laura a long time ago that pretty much sums up how to keep a man happy. She said "Men are pretty easy to please, they are either h*rny or hungry. If they aren't h*rny you make 'em a sandwich".

heath124
08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
All my FIL told me was "Why dont yall wait until after the baby is born so he will have my last name"

Sodar
08-14-2012, 05:51 PM
My FIL is an idiot and I wouldn't take any advice from him if he paid me.:rolleyes:

I heard a quote from Dr. Laura a long time ago that pretty much sums up how to keep a man happy. She said "Men are pretty easy to please, they are either h*rny or hungry. If they aren't h*rny you make 'em a sandwich".

LOL!!!! If this place was not a public forum..... :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I've been married 26 years and my wife is so awesome I'll make her sammiches!!! And I'd do it in a thong and high heels if she wanted!

tex
08-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I married late so didn't meet the FIL until I was in my 30's. They lived 4 hours away and I was driving my wife's BMW down and we were running late. She was talking to her father on the phone and the BMW kept having some alarm go off that her father could hear over the phone. He asked her if she had messed with the onboard computer since she and he drove it off the lot to which she said no. When I met him he took me for a walk and told me the noise I was hearing was the alarm that you could set to alert you that you were going over a certain speed. When they drove it off the lot...He made a joke to her and set it at 117 MPH. He told me if I wanted to continue to date his daughter...I would slow my ars down! Point well taken but became a great joke later!

ahhudgins
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I've been married 26 years and my wife is so awesome I'll make her sammiches!!! And I'd do it in a thong and high heels if she wanted!

25 years for us and she still gets mad when I wear hers. :D

jakethebt
08-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Not from FIL, but...

You can either be right or you can be happy...

wakescene
08-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't listen to my FIL, I know his daughter better then he does!

There situation is has not been good for 10+ years, I choose not to get involved!

dfmaus
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
my FIL:

"No deposit, No return"

milkmania
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
"It's your baby, you rock it"

madcityskier
08-15-2012, 12:32 AM
You can say yes dear without meaning it. Step FIL
I own land. Hurt my girl and they won't find your body. FIL
We don't accept returns. My mom to my wife
Treat her well, she could do a lot better than you. My dad to me
Remember, women love flowers almost as much as they like your attention. My Grandma

mdo817
08-15-2012, 02:46 AM
You will catch more Crappie off my dock than Bream.

stuartmcnair
08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Mine told me "I wish you two would hurry up and have kids"

My response "We're just practicing for now"

Never another word from him about it....

My father gave the best wedding day advice. "Son, all women are crazy. Tracy may not be showing signs now, but give it time..."

Kyle
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Never another word from him about it....

My father gave the best wedding day advice. "Son, all women are crazy. Tracy may not be showing signs now, but give it time..."

OMG

I bet the subject changed real quick lmao

mzimme
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM

So awesome.

oxberger
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM
All this advice is great and hilarious. tex's story reminds me of the first time I met my inlaws. I too was late to the game (1st marriage and 2nd anniversary coming up this Sept.) My, at the time, future wife and I were sitting home on a Friday night kicking a few back (me a lot more than her, she had maybe had 2 to my 4 or 5) and her cell phone went off. I knew it was one of her parents by the way she was talking. The end of the conversation was "Ok, we'll see you in a minute." I was like ahhh, what?! My wife tells me we're going over her parents house for a little bit to hang out and so I can meet them. First time I met my inlaws I was a little tipsy. I handled the evening rather well according to my wife until we left. She had been telling her parents how much of a gentleman I am and I open and close her door for her everytime we're out. Wouldn't you know it, the first time I meet her parents, not only was I a sheet or two into the wind, but forgot to open the car door for her. She gives me crap about that all the time, but I haven't forgotten to do it since.