PDA

View Full Version : Summer Killer for Mooba V-Drive

tideengineer
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I will try to get some pics if possible...

Great day at the lake Sunday...only about 4 or 5 boats on our stretch of water (including ours). My neighbor's son was wakeboarding behind a friend's v-drive Moomba (actually his friends dad's Moomba)...the Moomba was loaded to the gills with people and fatsacs everywhere throwing a tremendous wake and burning feul like nobody's business. Anyway, my neighbor was wakeboarding and fell close to a point notorius for shallow stumps. Instead of dropping power and turning left the 19 year old driver powerturned to the right and hit a stump that was about 6" under the surface of the water. Threw everyone into the floorboard and one almost went overboard off the front of the boat. Noone hurt but the Moomba is done for the summer...and depending on his dad, so is he...

I was called to come give a tow....had to stuff towels and shirts in the bottom of the boat around the shaft to help stop water from bleeding in. It was such a hard hit that I beleive the transmission is probably toast also...THINGS ARE NOT IN THE RIGHT PLACE. The prop acutally had lighter-knot wood (cypress stump) jammmed between the top of the prop and the bottom of the boat. Four-blade prop had two blades pointing straight back to the skier. The shaft and strut is done also....I shudder to think of the money to be spent. This is why I tell my boy..."when noone is up here....drive the da*m boat in the middle of the lake...and please, never do a powerturn..."

willyt
08-14-2012, 01:48 PM
pop up stumps from the bottom of the river for power turners... genius!!!

houtexX30
08-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow. That sucks. On a similar note, Me, the wife and a buddy of mine and his flavor of the week were out on saturday night to watch the meteor show. We were all chillin in the back of our ski cove and decided we wanted to venture out to some deeper water. I tell my buddy (dude i grew up with who has had several boats and is really familiar with our lake) to go ahead and idle us out to the ramp area. Well we get there and decide we want to go farther out towards the big part of the lake so he just stays put and powers the boat up on plane. I decide I am going to go sit in the bow and keep a lookout as it was rather dark saturday night. We get about halfway to our destination and i notice he is going a bit too far from shore(and too close to the stumps) so I turn to tell him "hey man, turn a bit to the left". I said that no less than 5 times before I was screaming "TURN THE F**CKIN BOAT" as loudly as I could. About that time he pulls it back to neutral and them BAM......left side of the boat shot up about 1.5' threw my wife up into the windshield and me into the drivers console(I was standing in the walkway to the bow). I still am not sure why he did not listen when I was telling him to turn but he says he thought we were already past the stumps and was turning out to the open water. I think he had more of an "I got this" mentality and was maybe trying to impress said flavor of the week. When the boat stopped, we turned the spotlight on and were in the middle of a minefield. I carefully navigate us out of the woods and we ease over to shore. He dove in and checked the hull and said it felt fine. We put it on the trailer and looked her over REAL good..no damage except a slight skid mark from the stump and about 5 pea sized pieces of gel chipped off near the transom. Another foot and a half to the right and our summer would be done also...we put her back in the water and had an awesome rest of the night. Saw tons of shooting stars. I think the wife is still nervous though.

Jason.H.
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
yeah from that point you and your wife should have had an awesome rest of the night and sent friend with girlfriend packing.

Granite_33
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Good Judgement comes from Experience.
Experience comes from Bad Judgement.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
TE was he on the opposite side of the lake from your place up towards the dam?

BTW I've been up there a few times in the last month and never caught you on the water. I found your place by seeing your boat on the lift. We have close friends with a place on the lake. They have a Blue Moomba LS (DD) I'm sure you have seen them on the lake they primarily wakeboard.

mzimme
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I like to think that Experience can also come from OTHERS' bad judgement. Learning from others' mistakes is far cheaper/less painful than learning from your own.

houtexX30
08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Good Judgement comes from Experience.
Experience comes from Bad Judgement.

very well said

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
I like to think that Experience can also come from OTHERS' bad judgement. Learning from others' mistakes is far cheaper/less painful than learning from your own.

I couldn't agree more.

tideengineer
08-14-2012, 05:20 PM
TE was he on the opposite side of the lake from your place up towards the dam?

BTW I've been up there a few times in the last month and never caught you on the water. I found your place by seeing your boat on the lift. We have close friends with a place on the lake. They have a Blue Moomba LS (DD) I'm sure you have seen them on the lake they primarily wakeboard.

Lynrd- this was the point between our place and bridge across from the "bluff" that is for sale...actually has two bouys out there marking the stump area....right close to the canal and Valley of Shiloh. We are going up tomorrow for the day...taking the fay off of work before my two youngest start school...trying to get some smooth water time in. That blue moomba you are speaking of...it's an older model, no tower, correct?

Sunday was the first day up there in a few weeks on the weekend. Been spending a lot of time at the beach...a few days on the sailboat in Destin and the weekend before last was at the Bushwacker 5k at Pensacola Beach...then went playing on the Bay in the pontoon....

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah I am very familiar with that area, my friends place is in the canal, it has claimed alot of props and such. Their boat is an '03 Moomba with tower but it was freshened up last year with new graphics and chrome lettering and a loud stereo. Should be nice tomorrow I took off last Wednesday and did the same as you hope ya'll have fun.

tideengineer
08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
10-4...I think I know which one you are talking about now. My neighbor has one very similar but it's not kep at their boathouse. See you up there sometime.