PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions: HO System 8

aswinter05
08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Looking at a 2008 65" HO System 8. Anyone have opinions on the ski? I'm a fairly experienced open water skier and one day would like to run some courses. I really like HO products.

Doesn't look like I will be able to demo the ski anywhere around Indianapolis.

I currently have a 2011 Triumph.

I'm also interested in a Syndicate A1 or S1. Which of those two skis are the more aggressive?

dtc
08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Sounds like we're approximately the same on ability and desire. I am fortunate to ski a private lake with a course, however my frequency of only once every two weeks has me only able to get around two buoys in the course.

I had been skiing a '05 System 8 with double Approaches until this year. I cannot speak as to differances, if any, between a 2005 production of the ski and what you are considering, so maybe someone will come along with more knowledge or wisdom on that. I will say I loved the ski and never blamed it for my skiing.

The only complaint I had was ski stability when not on edge. I took a nasty over the front fall one time when I was just trying to stand tall and rest outside the wake catching my breath after an extended open water session of 10-12 cuts. My new Syndicate seems much more stable and easier to control in the above conditions, but I need to qualify that statement with the fact that I've only been on the new ski a half dozen times or so.

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure there are others here who will come along shortly and are more qualified to speak intelligently on the matter. If you're out in the Sacramento area you are more than welcome to get a pull on my old ski!

Be safe & have fun ...

aswinter05
08-14-2012, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=dtc;868119]My new Syndicate seems much more stable and easier to control in the above conditions, but I need to qualify that statement with the fact that I've only been on the new ski a half dozen times or so.QUOTE]

Which Syndicate did you go with? I'm thinking about an S1 or A1 as well. I've heard several things about both skis but can't seem to see the difference between them.

Thanks for the input! I would love to try your skis out if I wasn't 2000 miles from CA!

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2012, 12:40 PM
i'm not approaches, never liked them. I have a monza with double animals.

syndicate skis are designed to be on edge, so when you're flat it will wobble - nothing u can do about it.

if were to upgrade, it would be to an an A2.

MC

ntidsl
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I has a 2005 or 6 system 8, now I have a S1. The S1 is way more agressive, more responsive, faster, I love it!!! I would never look back at my system 8. It's collecting dust at this moment! I loved my S1 the first time out!!!

aswinter05
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
I has a 2005 or 6 system 8, now I have a S1. The S1 is way more agressive, more responsive, faster, I love it!!! I would never look back at my system 8. It's collecting dust at this moment! I loved my S1 the first time out!!!

Maybe that dust collector needs a new home! What size ski?

skijwr
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I bought a used 2005 or 2006 System 8 ski about two years ago and I am very pleased with it. I have double Approach boots. ten years ago I skied in the course frequently, and over the years just skied once or twice per summer. Now I am getting back in the course. I would say I am intermediate. The write ups online say the Monza was the same mold as System 8, but the Monza was stiffer, and the Sys 8 has a little more flex to it.

ntidsl
08-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Its a 67 but its staying with me sorry...Someday will have enough skis to build a swing out of skis.