PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Tristar Dash Material

tockit
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Anyone know what the material is on a 1989 MC 190 Tristar dash and where to get it at?

It looks like a black vinyl/rubber padded-type material.

Mine has a couple of small tears around the screw holes that hold it in place and I'd like to either repair it, or recover it, but I have no idea how to repair it or where to get new material at.

Anyone else ran ever into this?

Thanks!

tockit
08-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Anybody ???

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
No help, but I saw a guy on ebay selling whole new dash pads $469 a bit much imo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-Dash-Board-Pro-Star-Tri-Star-/160726024708?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item256c048204&vxp=mtr

tockit
08-19-2012, 12:29 AM
No help, but I saw a guy on ebay selling whole new dash pads $469 a bit much imo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-Dash-Board-Pro-Star-Tri-Star-/160726024708?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item256c048204&vxp=mtr
Yeah, I saw that too.
Its not really that bad, just one little tear beside one of the screws that secures the RH switch panel.
I hate to spend $469 for that. I'd love to find some similar material and recover it!

Thanks!

gweaver
08-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Maybe just a plain black vinyl? Or a textured black vinyl fabric? Any shop that does upholstery should be able to help you, or you can order stuff online. I would think that if you're going to recover the entire dash, the texture wouldn't matter too much. If/when you recover the dash, leave the material out in the sun to warm up, it'll make it easier to stretch it and get it to conform to curves. Not sure of glue type, but an upholstery shop should be able to recommend something. Start in the middle and work your way out to the sides. Take your time.
G

wheelerd
08-19-2012, 03:14 AM
That also happened on my TriStar.

Check your Yellow Pages under Upholstery Repair and Restoration (or something similar.) See if a business called Fibrenew is anywhere near you. www.fibrenew.com They often have mobile units and will come to you. Besides furniture they do autos, boats, RV's, etc. I've used them on a couple of occasions and have been very happy. 15 - 30 minutes and they're done. Tears, holes, scuffs -- they make it look like new and can color match anything.