PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Distance

deminimis
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Blah blah, you've heard it before. However, be aware of your stopping distance when towing. Had a buck jump out in front of me as we were coming back from the river. I drive a Silverado 3500HD dually. With the anti lock brakes, and it usually stops on a dime. With a X-Star on a trailer, even with new brakes and actuator, you'd be amazed just how much a boat pushes a large vehicle down the road when standing on the brake peddle. Time for a decent bull bumper....and grill....and new paint on the hood. I see some of you towing with grocery-getters. I can just imagine how far a good-sized boat would push a Grand Cherokee in a panic stop situation. Just a little heads up.

Oh, brakes locked up on the trailer even, yet the train kept a roll'n.

Jason.H.
08-13-2012, 05:16 PM
yeah i had to stab the brakes pulling my little tristar 190 with my 02 tahoe. I was in a slight right hand turn and there was a car with its left turn signal on slowing to turn left. No on coming traffic so i didnt slow up much and figured the car was going to turn. Nope. Little old lady decided she was going to come to a complete stop then decide she wasnt going to turn. boat pushed the rear of my tahoe about 2-3 feet sideways before i could adjust brake pressure and get it straightened back up and slowed down enough not to hit the lady. Boy, that was a bad start to my day at the lake.

Traxx822
08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, glad to hear both you guys had the skills to keep em under control. I have a 2500HD and know what you're saying about getting worked by the weight in a hard stop. I don't have a story. I still trailer it like I just got it from the delivery room :)

Jason.H.
08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
yeah my foot is covering the brake pedal every blind turn I go around now!

Quinten
08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Didn't have problems yet with our x2 2012 sitting on a dual axis trailer with brakes on all tires.
In heavy stops the trailers stops the car in our situation. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
First thing I did to the used F150 I picked up was put new brake pads and rotors all the way around. Not the cheap stuff, either....... but money well spent. I like to be able to stop when I hit the brakes.