PDA

View Full Version : Boat slide L-R on trailer?

zsqure
08-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I have an '88 Prostar 190 that will slide from fender to fender as i go around corners while i trailer to and from the lake. It does not care if the bunks r]are wet or dry. Do you guys "tie down" the rear of the boat with the lift loops on the back? If I criss cross a couple ratchet straps I can hold it in place. Going straight up from below will not stop the movement. I never had this issue before because the previous boat was big, heavy, and a deeper v at the stern. I suppose I shouldn't have sprayed the bunks with liquid rollers. :)

Double D
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I have an '88 Prostar 190 that will slide from fender to fender as i go around corners while i trailer to and from the lake. It does not care if the bunks r]are wet or dry. Do you guys "tie down" the rear of the boat with the lift loops on the back? If I criss cross a couple ratchet straps I can hold it in place. Going straight up from below will not stop the movement. I never had this issue before because the previous boat was big, heavy, and a deeper v at the stern. I suppose I shouldn't have sprayed the bunks with liquid rollers. :)

I think you'll need to keep it strapped down until the liquid roller wares off. My brother had to do the same thing thing for a while after he had gel coat repair and new carpet put in his bunks. That thing slid all over the place. He also crisscrossed his straps but he just connected to the platform brackets, right or wrong.

I have never had to strap mine but I know many people will recommend you do.

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

ricford
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
The boat should ALWAYS be tied down at the back when towing, liquid roller or not!!

BrooksfamX2
08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
The boat should ALWAYS be tied down at the back when towing, liquid roller or not!!

I concur.... :cool:

JohnE
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM

I agree

Double D
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Told you..... :) Of course it's not a bad idea.

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

OHIOPRO205
08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I have never strapped mine down and we tow as far as 7 hours. My boat never moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnE
08-12-2012, 07:26 PM
I have never strapped mine down and we tow as far as 7 hours. My boat never moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that really hard to believe. Have you ever followed your boat being towed? I bet it moves more than you realize

ricford
08-12-2012, 07:51 PM
What happens if you have to swerve or have even a minor accident? I bet it would move plenty then.

JohnE
08-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I've towed plenty of short trips with all of my boats, and they have all moved. And I don't use liquid rollers

BrooksfamX2
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM

They may also keep your boat from moving into your back seat if you have to emergency stop or rear end someone.

mikeg205
08-12-2012, 11:35 PM
If your boat is not strapped down and it comes off the trailer you'll liable for negligence - check your insurance and your local laws. If your boat came of the trailer without being strapped down an lawyer would have a field day - even if the initial cause was not your own.

gatorguy
08-13-2012, 12:19 AM
You may think about adjusting the bunks on your trailer. Mine had 2x6's when I got it, and the boat would always slide to the left side. Well, one of the boards was bad, so I replaced them both with 2x8's. The change accomplished two things. 1st I like the fact that there is more support under my boat since there are only two bunk boards. 2nd when I mounted them they come closer (about 1" clearance) to the chines on the bottom which keeps the boat from sliding left and right.

zsqure
08-13-2012, 08:35 AM
This is what I ended up with. Will see how it works out.