PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Carpet Problems

rph21
08-31-2005, 12:01 PM
ANY GOOD IDEAS FOR A REPLACEMENT MATERIAL OR REPLACEMENT RAIL FOR THE TRAILER. I KEEP REPLACING THE CARPET ON THE TRAILER BOARDS EVERY 2 YEARS AND ITS GETTING OLD. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER ALTERNATIVE OUT THERE OR SOME NEW COMPOSITE BOARD THAT WONT SCUFF OR SCRATCH THE BOAT. ANY IDEAS

:eek3:

Mag_Red
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Funny you should post this as I just saw a product yesterday that you may be interested in. I saw it on page 83 of the latest issue of Trailer Boats magazine. Click Here (http://www.bunkaps.com/)

DanC
08-31-2005, 12:33 PM
I have found that two layers of carpet will last MUCH longer. Kind of like the difference between installing carpet in your house with or without a carpet pad. Carpet without a carpet pad with get chewed up really fast. On all of my boats, when the first layer gets wear spots, I put a second layer of carpet right over the first. Never have to recarpet again.

DanC
08-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Funny you should post this as I just saw a product yesterday that you may be interested in. I saw it on page 83 of the latest issue of Trailer Boats magazine. Click Here (http://www.bunkaps.com/)

Mag, slick product, somebody posted about them (or maybe it was something just like this) on here last year. I called them to find the price. I forget how much but I seem to remember coming to the conclusion that I could buy about three lifetimes worth of carpet for the same price. 8p

pilot02
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I agree that 2 layers of carpet works really well. In addition, use a bright color for the first layer (red etc.) This allows you to see when the bunk carpet needs replacing before the boat get's damaged.

G-man
08-31-2005, 01:06 PM
a friend of mine applys car wax to the carpet about every 6 weeks

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
What Dan and Pilot said. I cut the first layer just wide enough to make it over the top corners. The second layer, I wrap around tot he bottom of the bunk.

If you wax or use any product for purposes of lubrication, be sure not to disconnect the winch until your boat is floating. Slick bunks can be scarry.

Ron Grover
08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
if you are having that much trouble it sounds like you may not be submerging the trailer enough and driving the boat onto the bunks under power.

i always submerge enough that it floats onto the trailer. attached the strap and pull forward that way the boat settles down onto the bunk instead of sliding up on it. of course i maily use publics ramps and the tend to be steep.

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
If you drive on, make sure you completely submerge the bunks, then pull it out to whatever the optimum loading depth is for that ramp (depending on grade). Wet those bunks.