PDA

View Full Version : Performer intake leak?

jfw432
08-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Is it normal for the Performer intakes to be shooting carbon back out of the intake like this? Before I try to seal it up, I'm curious why it's even there.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
No thats not normal, thats an egr block off plate, Why did you buy an egr manifold? Did you make that block off plate? It needs a thicker plate to prevent gasket failure. Replace gasket gtg.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8981/

jfw432
08-12-2012, 09:34 AM
I bought the intake used and was told it was the 2181 intake... I did not install that block off plate but it came with that piece that you linked. Since my bolts weren't long enough for the extra plate and the piece below it just looked like a casting mark when I got it I didn't think anything of it. I'll get it blocked off.

Thanks for the help!

d36yzrider
08-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I did the same thing found one on craigslist I made a custom block off plate the with a gasket the first time I leaked just like your pic. I replaced the gasket and used the high temp copper rtv has bee good ever since

markismm
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I have the same intake that I bought at a swap meet. It had a custom egr block-off plate and it has never once leaked any carbon whatsoever. The block-off plate it very thick and had a good amount of sealant on it.