PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the engine. Any tips

Mike Ingram
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Here goes. I'm going to go ahead and pull the motor and replace the oil pump and look around. Any tips for removing te engine or things to be aware of.

Also I did notice that there is about a quart to much oil in te motor. I let it drain a day. The oil was old and had sat. I added four quarts back in it and filled the filter. So I pot in four and a half to three quarters.

Any effects of too much oil on low oil pressure. Thanks for all of the help.

SeaCup
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I pulled mine this winter for a rebuild. I prepped everything before hand and called a tow truck driver and they had it in my garage in a matter of minutes. If you are doing just the it can be done without removing the engine.

piper_chuck
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Here goes. I'm going to go ahead and pull the motor and replace the oil pump and look around. Any tips for removing te engine or things to be aware of.

Label and photograph every wire, hose, accessory, etc before removing it. Be sure the background of the photo helps you identify exactly where the item goes.

maristardd
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
> Any effects of too much oil

At a point, in a running engine, the connecting rods will hit the overfull oil in the pan, froth it up, and cause problems including blown engine. I couldn't say how much oil needed for that to happen. Add even more oil, and I think you get hydrolock.

I don't think it affects pressure at all, anything higher than normal is bled off by the oil pump's relief valve.

Mike Ingram
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Wondering If the extra oil could be causing the low pressure at idle issue because of some release valve issue. High pressure at higer rpm's is 50-75

I would love not to have to pull it but I may be reaching.

Mike Ingram
08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Are you saying the oil pump can be replaced without removing the engine.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Oil pump is located inside the oil pan, I highly doubt the oil pump is causing no oil psi at idle only, I would suspect worn bearings and i'm including the cam bearings is causing your oil pressure woes. But if your bent on changing it out the engine will need to be pulled up enough to remove oil pan. a quick write up http://www.ehow.com/how_6850247_replace-oil-pump-351-windsor.html