PDA

View Full Version : FYI 02 Maristar Hard Start

gregg
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
In case this happens to anyone else. Last Saturday lauching my 02 Maristar 210 tbi 310 hp I noticed it fired once then would not start unless I gave it some throttle. Stumbled a little, cleared the black smoke as if it was flooded, then idled ok, but a little slower than usual for a cold engine. Rest of the day idle was ok, but did not have the usual idle flare on start up. Suspected the idle air control motor and sure enough the pintle was stuct in the almost closed position. Remove the motor, cleaned the pintle and seat and works like new. Caution: if you have this iac motor removed or unplugged do not turn the key on or it will most likely set a code in the ecm.

As a side note I would also like to thank Mastercraft for a 160 hours of trouble free boating (except for this minor problem), building a great product and great tech support for those of us not close to a dealer.

Leroy
08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Great info Gregg! Thanks!

Normally it's a cry for help and instead you post great solution, then I looked at your public info and I see why!

gregg
08-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Great info Gregg! Thanks!

Normally it's a cry for help and instead you post great solution, then I looked at your public info and I see why!

Is what this forum should be about in my opinion. Sharing problems and solutions, not whining or getting in each others face. Oh yea, and the swimsuit thread of course. :D

wiltok
08-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Greg - not familiar with the idle air control motor. Can you describe where it is located??

gregg
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Greg - not familiar with the idle air control motor. Can you describe where it is located??

Two screws hold it into the side of the throttle body(on the tbi engines, not sure on the port injection engines) opposite side of the throttle linkage. Port side on a v-drive, starboard side of a direct drive. Should have a connector plugged into it with 4 wires.