PDA

View Full Version : Going to smith mountain lake Va

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 09:32 AM
September 14-17 the wife and I have rented a lake front cabin at smith mountain lake in virginia, we are really excited and this is our first away from home lake trip. I have one been to smith mountain twice but both when i was really young. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for areas on the lake that we should go to or area we should avoid? I will bring some steaks for grilling but we will go eat out a couple times too im sure. Any good restaurants or bars anyone can recommend? Thanks everyone!

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong section, not sure if it belongs here or general discussion.

d2jp
08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I live about 25 miles away, and trailer there - been going since it was filled up in the mid-60's....what area are you staying?

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Silver bay view cottages. southeast side of lake.

ahhudgins
08-11-2012, 03:33 PM
SML is like Disney Land, it takes a week to visit every thing. I'm on Leesville Lake and haven't been to SML in a long time. Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 04:20 PM
yeah I heard the bridgewater area is the busiest part of the lake, probably wont go all the way up there though. My tristar 190 doesnt like rough water too much haha

d2jp
08-11-2012, 10:15 PM
You are in a really nice, 'relatively' not too crazy with traffic part of the lake. It used to be known as 'Cedar Key' and at one point there was a marina there. I'm headed up to that very spot tomorrow. The cove back there is protected with no wake bouys, which makes it nice to just chill. Just around the point, on either side is some nice water to ski/board/etc. We take two boats, anchor in a cove back there in the 'party boat' and use my Prostar for water sports. The closest on-water marina for gas is Mitchell's. There is a really long shoal that extends out from the right headed there, be sure to watch the channel markers headed that way. Mitchell's also has burgers, wings, etc. they also rent tubes, boards, etc. Waller's, up at Crystal Shores (Bridgewater area) is a really fun place but probably an easier drive by car on a rough water day. Lots of beautiful scenery in that area, and the largest part of the lake is just around the bend. There is a new rope swing on a huge tree if you head towards the dam and hug the left shoreline past the dam. Lots of fun. If you haven't been, it's a deep lake, especially in that part. Easily over 150' in the channel - if you plan to anchor anywhere - have plenty of line.

Jason.H.
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Man im so excited! thanks for the input! Im deffinately going to find that rope swing haha!

d2jp
08-13-2012, 02:00 PM
We had a great time yesterday, the weather was perfect! Had lunch at Mitchell's. Warning: make sure you have some fenders if you dock there on a busy day, most slips face the main lake and you pull in bow first (obviously). The stern takes a pounding - I'm OCD about tying off my boat so that it doesn't get damaged (the joke is I go to Mitchell's to get breakfast, but by the time I'm done securing the boat, I order lunch). And again, watch for those big shoals on the right headed over there. Food was good! That's a really beautiful part of the lake. I've lived in NC, KS and CO - Smith Mountain Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the country:)

petemcc
09-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I live part time at SML near G2 (Gills Creek). Best lake that I've seen in VA or NC.
If you want great High end food hit up The Landing $$$$ (Tiffany and Bruno do a great job)
Cannot go wrong on a hot day for lunch at Mexico Viejo $$
Michell's for breakfast $$ Lunch is decent
Jake's is real good if you head up to the bridge area
ok I'll stop now.
here is a list of places to eat
http://smith-mountain-lake.com/restaurants.htm

Have a great time

occva
09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Had a great day at the lake Sunday. School has started and the crowds seem to be way down.

If you happen to run the slalom course, be careful. It is only about three or four feet at the far end right now.