PDA

View Full Version : Good Engine Rebuild Contact in NC

Mike Ingram
08-10-2012, 10:14 AM
May have to rebuild the old windsor. Trying to prepare myself...:( Anyway. Anyone know of a good engine building for marine motors in the raleigh area. OR anywhere in the NC area for that matter. Also let me know if there is any to avoid. Thanks to all.

Cary K.
08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I just had mine rebuilt, and here is what I learned. Powerboat Service Inc (Diego Serge) in Raleigh, and Inboard Marine Service (Joe Thompson) in Wilson, are two of the best inboard mechanics in the area. But because of that, they are both extremely busy. And both of them will pull the engine for you, but neither rebuild in house, they will send to their local engine shop. Due to the time of year, I just took mine to a trusted auto mechanic, had him pull it, and send it to an engine shop. Saved me 3-4 weeks, and in my opinion, no difference from what the inboard mechanics would have done.

It may be a little easier for you since yours sounds like a D-drive, and much easier to pull out. And with summer starting to wind down, they may have more time to tackle a project like this, but winterizations will start taking up a lot of their time soon.

I have known Joe literally my entire life, and trust him unquestionably, and Diego has also done work for me that has been absolutely top notch. Brandon Patrick owns "Your Mobile Technician" service, and is a stand up guy as well, and may be worth a call if the other guys don't have time. I have contact info for all of these shops if you need it.

Good luck!

Mike Ingram
08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever heard of a guy in near hillsborough NC. Edric Culbreth. Outletmarineengines Advertises 351W rebuild for 1250 with all new parts and a two year unlimited hours warranty. 2000.00 and he will remove an reinstall. Wondering if anyone has any experience with him.

zsqure
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow, if I had known that I might have gone for the '93 with the tired (smoking) motor instead of getting the '88.

JimN
08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
May have to rebuild the old windsor. Trying to prepare myself...:( Anyway. Anyone know of a good engine building for marine motors in the raleigh area. OR anywhere in the NC area for that matter. Also let me know if there is any to avoid. Thanks to all.

This would be a good time to make it do MORE, if you know what I mean.

Mike Ingram
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
yeah wonder what the typical upgrades are from the 220 hp stock engine. I know cam upgrade but what else does everyone do.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
GT-40P heads and an aluminum intake.

Mike Ingram
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
is it the p heads only and what intake recomendations do you have. Any favorite cams..

JimN
08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
yeah wonder what the typical upgrades are from the 220 hp stock engine. I know cam upgrade but what else does everyone do.

Make it breathe better and it will go faster/pull harder.