PDA

View Full Version : Replace packing or tighten the nut?

AZX9
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
So I have several gallons of water in the bilge at the end of the day. I pulled the rear panel last time out and noticed I have a steady small stream of water coming in at the packing nut between the shaft and the brass nut. I don't know how old the packing is but probably original as the boat is 10 years old almost. Should I try to tighten the nut down or just replace the packing?

curtish
08-10-2012, 01:32 AM
I would think tightening it is worth a shot. Certainly cheaper and easier than replacing. But it sounds like yours needs replacement if it really is original. That does sound like a lot of water. Even with my brothers circus jumping in and out of the boat constantly for hours I don't get much...maybe a gallon. Course it has been wicked hot around here. Could be evaporating before it even gets to the bilge...lol.

FrankSchwab
08-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Give tightening a try. Crank down the packing nut a quarter turn at a time, run the boat for a few minutes and check if water is still coming in, and whether the shaft/packing nut is getting hot.

If you can't stop the flow of water, you need to repack.
If the packing nut gets hot when you've stopped the water, you need to repack.
If you can get the water down to a drip every 10 seconds, and the packing nut is staying cool (you can grab hold of it and hang on indefinitely), then you're done and you don't need to repack.

Pretty simple.

/frank

Cloaked
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
....... Should I try to tighten the nut down or just replace the packing?Both. Done deal.

AZX9
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Is the 10 drips criteria measured when shaft is turning or still. Mine is leaking steady while just sitting on the trailer at launch. I don't know what it does with shaft spinning. Does leaking increase when spinning or at rest?

LaRue
08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
When shaft is turning. I don't have any dripping when shaft is still

Brian B
08-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I tightened mine and am down to 2 drips every 10 seconds.....