PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen this happen on a 2012 X25??

bjames
08-09-2012, 12:28 PM
On the highway heading to the launch the other day I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed what looked like a long wire dangling from the tower. I pulled over to take a closer look and couldnt believe what I saw. One of my speakers was missing, all that was left was the speaker wire hanging. Everything was intact when I uncovered and laoded the boat before I left the house. I jumped up into the boat and found the speaker sitting on the rear seat directly below where it was mounted. Thank god the tower was folded down preventing damage to the seat or worse, having the speaker fall to the road in front of another vehicle.

All I can say is that I am lucky that the speaker fell when it did and NOT while I had people in the boat. IMO this is a serious issue. I can see bolts loosening, but for a weld to fail like this???

I dont understand what would have caused this. The boat has never been off paved surfaces, my commute from the house to the lake is all divided highway, no construction, no gravel roads, all very well maintained routes. I am now a little paranoid , thinking that if the one weld is faulty, how are the other welds???

This is the tower side, one thing I noticed, it looks kind of like a spot weld instead of a full perimeter weld.

These are pics of the speaker can.

I took the boat to my dealer and they said they have never before seen this - even on older boats.

mzimme
08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow... glad nobody got hurt, you didn't lose your speaker, and no other damage was done to the boat.

Trailering probably puts far less stress on your boat than when it's in the water. On the trailer, it has suspension. On the water, it smacks agains waves and probably gets some good jarring action crossing others' wakes.

Jason.H.
08-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow, glad no one was hurt or interior was not damaged. I wonder if there are supposed to be four bolts where those four holes are on the speaker side? and they just never got drilled out on the tower side and installed.

BrianT
08-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow, that isn't good at all!! You are lucky the speaker fell where it did and not bouncing down the highway into someones windshield...

I hope MMS is going to look after you on this with zero out of pocket to you. It does look like the factory just spot welded. I wonder how the weld on the other can is as well?

bjames
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I would expect that the weld should be a full penetration weld all the way around the base. I couldnt believe how heavy the speaker weighs. When I took the photo, my wife was holding the speaker in her arms, she was asking me to hurry as she thought she was going to drop the speaker due to the weight.

I dont beleive the screws pennetrate into the tower. It looks like the inner shank is welded to the tower.

toolz
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
It appears that the curved bracket welds to the tower, and the can bolts to the curved bracket from inside the can. The weld is there, just cold with no penetration into the tower tube. The welder should be fired- he doesn't know how to weld. I wonder how many of these he did?

homer12
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
That is one ****ty weld. I'd be fuming for how much you paid for that boat and be questioning the quality of welds on the whole tower. Dealer or MC better step up for you.

jdl xstar
08-09-2012, 12:54 PM
:eek3: This is unbelievable. I'm a mastercraft guy through and through, but this is bad and something we would maybe - maybe... expect from a "less expensive boat brand", but from Mastercraft?

Obviously that defect could have been disasterous for anyone sitting in the boat or for a car on the highway. Just shaking my head thinking about it.

GT500 MC
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Can't imagine if that can lands on a kid's head or bounces out on the freeway into a windshield....hopefully it's truly an exception...if not, RECALL!!

bstanislaw
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I weld for a living. And ill tell you Mastercraft makes quality boats, but they really lack in the welding process. One of the welds in my tower is cracked. It just comes down to poor quality in the welder. I hope they fix this problem. That should've never happened to that speaker,ever.

ttu
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
wth! what is going on with all the quality issues with the newer mc's lately? glad no one was injured.

soacj
08-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Obviously MC is still ultimately responsible, but is the tower construction outsourced?

Jay

02ProstarSammyD
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Outside of straight boogers thats one of the crappiest welds I've ever seen. Amazing. Yea that could kill someone

trickskier
08-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Obviously MC is still ultimately responsible, but is the tower construction outsourced?

Jay

The towers are outsourced.

captain planet
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Jay

The towers are made third party that sell only to MC. MC is responsible for this, but it is basically a bad weld by a vendor.

Each speaker can weighs 25lbs, so good thing nobody was hurt.

lettmeknow
08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Thats why you shouldnt have monkey bars on boats! Seriously, though makes me think twice about even adding a tower with speakers on it with small kids on board.

Jason.H.
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey bjames, didnt you have another thread on here about your tower being flemsy and flexing really bad? I would deffinately have the whole tower checked out by someone who knows welding for sure

bjames
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey bjames, didnt you have another thread on here about your tower being flemsy and flexing really bad? I would deffinately have the whole tower checked out by someone who knows welding for sure

The tower flex is IMO common with all the Power Towers. Its just the design that allows more side to side sway/flex. Everytime I see it wipping around as we ride over chop, I feel unsettled, knowing that towers on my previous boats (cost less than half what I paid for the X25) were far stiffer. I just hope that the new corner braces will help.

TheWoons
08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised your power tower sways and flexes. We haven't experienced that at all with ours and we have been over some big chop. We also don't have the braces that will be added in a month or two when I take ours down to the dealer. Our power tower is very stiff and no issues. It doesn't flex any more than either of our previous X Stars with the 4pnt towers and braces.

Specter
08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
The better question is if anyone has seen this happen to a Power Tower. I wouldn't think this issue is X-25 specific, right?

ttu
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
The better question is if anyone has seen this happen to a Power Tower. I wouldn't think this issue is X-25 specific, right?

woon, has a x25.

FourFourty
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
The tower flex is IMO common with all the Power Towers. Its just the design that allows more side to side sway/flex.

For what it's worth, my power tower flexes less than the ZFT-3 i had before(4 point on my '11 X25). I was very surprised by this, especially considering I have 4 speakers, lights, and a bimini. No shortage of weight up there, and it is very sturdy.

TheWoons
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
For what it's worth, my power tower flexes less than the ZFT-3 i had before(4 point on my '11 X25). I was very surprised by this, especially considering I have 4 speakers, lights, and a bimini. No shortage of weight up there, and it is very sturdy.

I agree. I have 4 speakers, bimini and our Power Tower is awesome.

Mastercraftdave
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I agree. I have 4 speakers, bimini and our Power Tower is awesome.

Same here. Out of all the things on the boat the tower has been issue free and very strudy on our X45. Knock on wood!!

scott023
08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
All I know is, looking at your started thread history, you've had A LOT of issues with this boat....

Heelgrad
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
yeah it seems that if something is going to go wrong on a boat, you seem to be catching all the bad breaks. i might consider taking it back to MMC and letting them keep it until they've fixed all the random issues you've been dealt. really a serious bummer. all i can say is that my zft-4 tower is rock solid. really sorry you've had all this stuff to battle with on your power tower. rooting for it to all turn out well.

bjames
08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
All I know is, looking at your started thread history, you've had A LOT of issues with this boat....

Perhaps not nearly as much as my 2011 X25. In comparison, the 2012 has been much better. Most outstanding issues have been related to the BIG software.. The wobbly power tower has always been a thorn in my but, not just for 2012, but last years boat as well. Compared to my Moomba LSV, the tower moves a lot more (side to side). Even a freind of mind who knows nothing about boats commented on how much the tower sways - asking it thats normal.

IMO for a $11,900 upgrade, I would expect a tower superior of nautique. Grab a nautiqe or malibe tower, you cant move it. I can shake the heck out of the ZF5P with one hand.:mad:

bjames
08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
yeah it seems that if something is going to go wrong on a boat, you seem to be catching all the bad breaks. i might consider taking it back to MMC and letting them keep it until they've fixed all the random issues you've been dealt. really a serious bummer. all i can say is that my zft-4 tower is rock solid. really sorry you've had all this stuff to battle with on your power tower. rooting for it to all turn out well.

Thanks Heelgrab. I have thought about that as well, but our season is short enough here I need to take every opertunity to go out riding;)

TheWoons
08-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Perhaps not nearly as much as my 2011 X25. In comparison, the 2012 has been much better. Most outstanding issues have been related to the BIG software.. The wobbly power tower has always been a thorn in my but, not just for 2012, but last years boat as well. Compared to my Moomba LSV, the tower moves a lot more (side to side). Even a freind of mind who knows nothing about boats commented on how much the tower sways - asking it thats normal.

IMO for a $11,900 upgrade, I would expect a tower superior of nautique. Grab a nautiqe or malibe tower, you cant move it. I can shake the heck out of the ZF5P with one hand.:mad:

If you can shake the heck out of your power tower with one hand there's something wrong with your boat/tower. Ours is not like that at all.

vision
08-09-2012, 09:29 PM
wth! what is going on with all the quality issues with the newer mc's lately? glad no one was injured.

+1 Scary, on so many levels.

haroldbrogers
08-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I'll second that the welders at MasterCraft are not up to the caliber of the boats they are welding on. I had a weld on my x15 crack all the way around, splitting my tower into two pieces. Friend that is a welder, fixed it for me, and could not beleive that MC would put out such quality.

Jonb1822
08-10-2012, 08:39 AM
You should post this up to Mastercrafts Facebook page. Whoever updates their page works at the factory and can provide direct feedback to their welders. This will create more awareness than just telling your dealer. Just a thought.

bjames
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
You should post this up to Mastercrafts Facebook page. Whoever updates their page works at the factory and can provide direct feedback to their welders. This will create more awareness than just telling your dealer. Just a thought.

Hmmm:rolleyes:... I may just do that.

jasonba1
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
mastercraft doesnt build there towers in house call mc and find out exactly where they are made i think its the mastercraft by design people but maybe wrong on that

XtwentyNot
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Tower issues? My friend wanted to run
Exile amps so MC sold him cans, cockpit speaks, and the deck. The cockpit was hooked to the deck and towers were left unpowered until he put his amps in. When we put them in no sound, after calling MC we were assured there are no splices in the wiring running up the tower, they told us it is continuous! Wrong, after removing the port leg of the tower we discovered the top section has its own harness that plugs into a harness that comes up the port side leg. They never plugged it in! That only took us five hours to figure out!

And sway? Well since we've done well over a thousand miles of driving to different lakes this summer I've followed him in my truck/boat for many of them, that thing flexes and sways all over the place! It has as much sway as the cheapo hydrowake tower I had on my old Centurion!

And I don't want to bag on MC, when you are doing stuff no one else is some issues will arise, as long as they stand behind their products I feel like its the price you pay to be cutting edge.

He also doesn't have the power tower!82796

MIskier
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
The towers are produced by gere Marie in Chicago. I would definitely contact them directly since this is a qc defect on their part.

501s
08-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but my ZFT-4 has been awesome. I love the tower. Super solid and so easy to fold down. In all honesty, with it being soooo easy to fold, it seems like there is no need for a power tower.

bcd
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I disagree with contacting the tower manufacturer directly (unless you're not getting anywhere with your dealer and MC). You bought the boat from MC. MC bought the tower from gere Marie (or whoever). It's not your responsibility to work out quality issues with the tower, it's Mastercraft's. The quality department at MC needs to be involved in issues like this to make sure root cause is identified and corrective actions are implemented to prevent repeat failures on future product. Personally, I think MC is not doing a good job of this these days, and it's a big contributor to people complaining about build quality lately.

My ZFT2 tower is pretty rock solid compared to my 02 X Star 4 pt tower. I don't notice any sway in it. It doesn't look as nice, but it folds down a lot easier too.

Hecker
08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but my ZFT-4 has been awesome. I love the tower. Super solid and so easy to fold down. In all honesty, with it being soooo easy to fold, it seems like there is no need for a power tower.

I agree. When was your boat manufactured bjames? The fourth last digit is the year in was made, the letter after it is the month it was made, and the final 2 digits are the model year. A for January B for February and so on.) I'm just curious on the time frame of your tower production in regards to mine. Was there material problems, incompetence issues, or poor QC during that period that leads to a crappy product like your tower. I will be inspecting mine today.

bjames
08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree. When was your boat manufactured bjames? The fourth last digit is the year in was made, the letter after it is the month it was made, and the final 2 digits are the model year. A for January B for February and so on.) I'm just curious on the time frame of your tower production in regards to mine. Was there material problems, incompetence issues, or poor QC during that period that leads to a crappy product like your tower. I will be inspecting mine today.

Based on my S/N, it appears the boat was made in January 2nd, 2012 (last 4 digits are A212).

Im not sure whay everyone else thinks the Power Tower is so rigid, both my 2011 and 2012 power towers had way more flex (not play due to loose links) than my moomba rad-a-cage tower (2-3/8" dia). Either Im imagining the flex or Im way too picky;)

bjames
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Done...

Jim@BAWS
08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
The towers are produced by gere Marie in Chicago. I would definitely contact them directly since this is a qc defect on their part.

No that is not how it works...You contact the dealer ASAP and let it runs its course!
It is a warranty issue. Let the dealer handle it. Believe me folks at MC will know ASAP and
look to rectify the issue ASAP!

Jim@BAWS

MIskier
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
No that is not how it works...You contact the dealer ASAP and let it runs its course!
It is a warranty issue. Let the dealer handle it. Believe me folks at MC will know ASAP and
look to rectify the issue ASAP!

Jim@BAWS

No kidding the dealer needs to know about it but so does the supplier. No telling if it would ever get to the people that need to know if you just handle it as a warranty issue.

Jim@BAWS
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
No kidding the dealer needs to know about it but so does the supplier. No telling if it would ever get to the people that need to know if you just handle it as a warranty issue.

Without arguement here...do you really think that this type of issue would not make it back to Gere Marie within hours? No one wants to cover anything like this up! From the dealer to MC to the manufactuer! Besides he already posted on FACEBOOK for the world to see and has gotten a response from MC already!

OF course it will make it back to Gere Marie...

Jim@BAWS

MIskier
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Without arguement here...do you really think that this type of issue would not make it back to Gere Marie within hours? No one wants to cover anything like this up! From the dealer to MC to the manufactuer! Besides he already posted on FACEBOOK for the world to see and has gotten a response from MC already!

OF course it will make it back to Gere Marie...

Jim@BAWS

I've always found when trying to resolve issues that getting information first hand rather than than third hand works a lot better.

milkmania
08-11-2012, 01:10 PM
s.h.i.t.t.y cold weld

read post number #21 of this thread..... http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40011&page=2
I did call Gere Marie, who transferred me to Mastercraft By Design, who referred me to Mastercraft, who referred me to my local dealer, who is working on it. phew!:popcorn:

swatguy
08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Man this is scary.......

I don't want to be that guy, but maybe people are starting to realize what I was bashed to death for bringing to the forefront in the 2013 Star thread is now ringing some bells in people's heads. Every other thread these days seems to be a major issue thread:(

Howevever I also had this happen to my new set of Rev 8's with the swivel clamp. The male end of the swivel just sheared right off. Would have pretty much killed my 5 yr old daughter had she been sitting on rear bench.
Bjames,

That's two crazy boats back to back. U need to find out who has your voodoo doll.

Brian B
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM

The guy who manages their fb page does not work at the factory.

Jonb1822
08-11-2012, 11:39 PM
The guy who manages their fb page does not work at the factory.

Sorry. I knew they didn't work "in" the factory, but assumed based on their post to Facebook that they would have direct connection to the source. Guess I should have been more detailed with my assumption. Regardless they responded to his issue. Hope they take care of him on this one.

Brian B
08-12-2012, 12:51 AM
No biggy. Just an FYI. I'm sure MC will stand behind this issue.

bjames
08-13-2012, 12:30 PM
That's two crazy boats back to back. U need to find out who has your voodoo doll.

LMAO!! Perhaps I should check my wifes drawers for a voodoo doll :D

bjames
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is an update of my situation.

My dealer advised me that they are replacing the entire top of the tower. This will eliminate my concern for the other welds. I was also told that the service manager at MMS ordered all the parts requried for the hydraulic conversion and new cross braces so that they can do all the tower work at the same time. They figure it will be a 1-2 day job. They should know later today when the parts are expected to arrive. He did say they had already shipped the parts. Talk about fast service. So withing the next week or two, I should basically have a new tower :)

Part of me feels bad for posting my problem on FB, but I also felt it had to be done. Im not sure if my FB posting help speed things up or if it was just coincident.

I am aproaching 50 hours on my boat and have to say that there has been no 'real' issues I consider serious. However I am still fighting with the BIG software bugs that are plaguing many others - which i did hear that our dealer has sent their BIG modual to MC for an update which will be forwared to Medalion for them to update and send back. I was told that the 2012 boats will not be updated to the Murphy systems - meaning we are stuck with the medalion and medalion has to provide support. So best of luck to us 2012 owners.

fuji
08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Im a Mastercraft guy.......but looking for my next boat may be the other "M" brand. I hate "updates". Only shows someone left something on the table. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Fuji

XtwentyNot
08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Im a Mastercraft guy.......but looking for my next boat may be the other "M" brand. I hate "updates". Only shows someone left something on the table. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Fuji

Moomba!

bjames
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Moomba!

Monterey? Maxim? kidding;)

I dont think MC is the only mfg that has updates pending/available to current boat owners. At least MC stands behind their products and provides updates / recalls when nessesary. Unlike some other brands who wait till the next model year and call their update a new feature :rolleyes: