PDA

View Full Version : x9 not trailering correctly

dirtrideryzf250
08-31-2004, 10:40 PM
our 2002 x9 does not trailer correctly because the V the boat sits on is to far back and to high. the hook on hte front hits when you pull it up, not only does it hit it makes the boat buddy pen to bend and the carpet on the V tears. the only fix to this is to put the trailer almost all the way under but then, you scrach the s*** out of the grafics. i dont understand how we can figure out how to solve the problem but MC cant :confused:. every X9 or 209 i'v seen has the same problem yet no one does anything about it. I tried but it was hopless they just say it is because of the ramp yet it does it on every ramp we've been on. has someone done a fix for this?

thanks
dirtrider

RackAtak
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Can you post some pictures of it sitting on the trailer?

dirtrideryzf250
08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
i can not post pics right now but i well deffitily post some this week :toast:

Mag_Red
08-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Does it look anything like this???
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=537&stc=1

Kell
09-01-2004, 12:44 AM
How far in the water are you backing the trailer in. I have a tandom trailer and if I back the trailer in so the water level is above the fenders, the hook on the bow hits the v-bunk. The solution I've found is to back the trailer into the water so about two inches of the fender is above the water level. By doing this the keel will ride on the rollers and the bow hook clears the v-bunk. This also helps with the use of the boat buddy. This may not be the answer your were looking for, but something to consider. I'm sure others may have additional comments.

Mag_Red
09-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Do you have the single or tandem axle trailer?? I know with mine I have to back into the water until the top of the fenders are 2-3 inches below trhe water. If I don't the carpeted bunks aren't far enough in the water.

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Sounds like you're backing in too deep. Most people do that.

Stritt
09-01-2004, 09:12 AM
You are not alone..............197's do it to. Notice the pic of the yellow 209, see the "notched" v-bunk? Problem solved on 05's. Then again the notched v-bunk was shown in the 04 broshure.

If the ramp is a "gradual ramp", there are no problems with the set-up. Then again, I don't know of to many "gradual" ramps. Had my 197 v bunks and boat buddy replaced once and they are due again. :rolleyes:

Actually, I recall seeing an ad for MC for a trailer engineer several months ago. Maybe they found one. ;)

Diesel
09-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know why MC use that v-bunk and what does it do?

My Dorsey trailer does not have one and from hearing and seeing the problems this v-bunk causes I am glad I don't. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they keep it around???

MarkP
09-01-2004, 12:49 PM
I like the V bunk. I would imagine it reduces the chance of lateral movement

Diesel
09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
I like the V bunk. I would imagine it reduces the chance of lateral movement

Lateral movement where?

If you boat is attached at the bow eye by the winch and or turnbuckle and properly supported under the hull by the bunks where is it going to go??

MarkP
09-01-2004, 01:00 PM
I didn’t design it. And only said “I would imagine it reduces the chance of lateral movement”

Now, "Lateral movement where?" That is side to side

Diesel
09-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I didn’t design it. And only said “I would imagine it reduces the chance of lateral movement”

Now, "Lateral movement where?" That is side to side

Yes I know what lateral movement is but I still don't see how it can move "side to side" if it is attached at the bow eye??? Doesn't the bow eye itself prevent "side to side" movement?

This is my point, I don't see what this piece actually does. I quess it could be used to help guide the boat on the trailer but only seems to work if you are on a "properly" sloped ramp. It just seems like it causes more trouble than it is worth.

captkidd
09-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Without the v-bunk, the only thing that keeps you from pulling too far forward on the trailer is the boat buddy. I think I'd rather use a carpet covered bunk than a hard plastic bracket to stop the boat. I don't think this was as much of a problem with our older boats/trailers.

Diesel
09-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Without the v-bunk, the only thing that keeps you from pulling too far forward on the trailer is the boat buddy.

This could be true. My trailer does not have a boat buddie and instead has a large roller that keeps the boat from going too far onto the trailer.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 01:15 PM
:uglyhamme, Hey did I tell you guys I like the V bunk?:)

Diesel
09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
:uglyhamme, Hey did I tell you guys I like the V bunk?:)

Yes, but you still haven't told us why....................

MarkP
09-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Sure I did

Because it fit’s the boat like a glove, its easy to use and I would imagine it reduces the chance of lateral movement.

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 02:14 PM
That V-bunk is on most of the 205 trailers too. The only way I can hit it with the bow eye is to back the trailer in too far. If I put the trailer in so the fenders are about an inch or two out of the water, then I have to power up the trailer bunks & the bow eye slides right into the buddy. The v-bunk keeps me from hitting the boat buddy too hard & definitely keeps the boat from moving side to side. It's far more sturdy than the buddy, which is pretty fragile.

Diesel
09-01-2004, 02:26 PM
It's far more sturdy than the buddy, which is pretty fragile.

Yeah, that boat buddie is a scary looking contraption to me. I have never used one so I cannot say first hand but it looks a little sketchy to me.

bcampbe7
09-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Boatbuddy works like a charm.

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Define sketchy, Diesel...... what it going to break? All it does is hold the boat in place while you pull it out of the water. Then you hook up your winch & safety chain.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 03:13 PM
I’m sort of afraid to say this, but, I do like the boat buddy too..:banana:..

east tx skier
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree with Airjunky's post a few back. Having the trailer too far in the water will cause the bow eye to hit the V. I belive one of the purposes of the v-bunk is actually to support the boat's bow, although not nearly to the extent that the main bunks do. Without it, you would have an excessive amount of weight on your boat buddy or bow roller. When I switched to the bow roller, I didn't initially compensate for the fact that it caused the boat to sit up about 1/4" higher in the front --- high enough for it to rest on the roller, but not completely on the v-bunk. The pressure was enough to put a nice indention in the roller. I can see not having one on a lift as you're not cruising down the highway in that situation, but with the angle of the v-block, it's gotta be keeping that boat from shifting forward too much on the trailer on hard stops, thereby taking some stress off the boat buddy, winch strap, what have you.

It's never proved a problem for me in trailering.

Diesel
09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Define sketchy, Diesel...... what it going to break? All it does is hold the boat in place while you pull it out of the water. Then you hook up your winch & safety chain.

I wouldn't trust it to pull my boat out of the water with. Everyone I know hooks their winch before they pull out just to be careful. So I say what's the point :confused:

Stritt
09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
The v bunk problems is limited to the 197 and 209 from my personal my experience. My 96 205 and 00 205v did not have this problem. The 197 and 209's tend to dip down at the bow unlike the other models. If the trailer is not on a gradual ramp, the front eye hook will hit the the v bunk. I have had times with both the 197 and 209 that I have to lift on the nose of the boat to "help" the eye hook over the v bunk. Problem number 2..........Pulling the trailer out further WILL allow the eye hook to pass over the V bunk.....BUT....I have 4 bunks on the trailer, the 2 innermost bunks start coming closer together towards the front of the trailer. What happens is the V of the hull begins to wedge between the bunks and is nearly impossibly to crank the boat to the boat buddy. Band aid solution is to get the eye hook over the v bunk, back the trailer back further and this either winch or drive until latched.

Simply put......Obviously there is (was) a problem with the design and the v bunk has been modified to allow the hook to pass between the 2 pads on the v bunk. Notice the notch on the yellow 209 trailer v bunk.
I know MasterCraft has warrantied my v bunks on both my 197 and my 209.......

My .01 cent worth.

bcampbe7
09-01-2004, 04:11 PM
I have hit the D hook on the V bunk once (96 PS190). This was because the ramp I was using was too steep (first and last time at this particular ramp). If you are not backing too deep, is the ramp too steep?

I think the boatbuddy is sturdy enough to hold the boat while I pull off the ramp. It's not like you floor the vehicle and yank it off the ramp. The boatbuddy holds fine for a gradual steady pull off the ramp and out of the way. Once we get out to the parking lot area to dry the boat, I latch the winch strap and tighten down. I leave the boatbuddy engaged (some may disagree). If the strap is tight enough the pin on the boatbuddy will not be touched.

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't trust it to pull my boat out of the water with. Everyone I know hooks their winch before they pull out just to be careful. So I say what's the point :confused:

Last Saturday evening on the Snake River after several hours on the water skiing in gorgeous conditons, we're pooped & ready to hit the BBQ at our campsite. Two boat ramps, a line of trucks & boats waiting to pull out. Some dumba$$ decides to back his utility trailer down, unload like 12 bicycles revealing an old jetski. Then he & his inbred hillbilly brother proceed to drag the jetski off the trailer & onto the pavement boat ramp & then drag it into the water. Meanwhile a fisherman unwinds his winch 20' to hand crank his Starcraft up the EZ Loader trailer. My wife gets irritated at both of them taking their own sweet time so she cocks the Boat Buddy, stabs the tandem trailer between the two of them despite both of them pissin & moanin about it. I drive right up onto the trailer & after she hears the buddy lock in place & we drive right out. Total time on the ramp..... less than 30 seconds. None of the hillbillys can believe it. Price of the Boat Buddy...... priceless! :cool:

bcampbe7
09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
You mean you have hillbilly rednecks in Wa also? Who'd a thunk it??? :)

Diesel
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Total time on the ramp..... less than 30 seconds.

Yeah it takes me and my wife an extra 10 seconds to hook that pesky winch ;) .

Don't even get me stared on idots at the ramp. BTW I love the story about the flat bed and bicycles :D .

I frequently piss people off when I "squeeze" in and load up as well but it's usually their own fault for not being conciderate. Most lakes I vist have a 3 or four lane ramp and it never fails some idiot backs down crooked taking up 2.5 of the lanes. All I need is 6" each side and I'm there...............

lakes Rick
09-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Did I tell you the one about the chinaman who parked his motorhome SIDEWAYS on a 4 trailer boat ramp... WE told him to move but "no spikky da englis"....... He was there for over 45 minutes unloading..

Shasta Lake California........

Mag_Red
09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
You are not alone..............197's do it to. Notice the pic of the yellow 209, see the "notched" v-bunk? Problem solved on 05's. ;)
So are you saying the one pictured with the yellow boat (mine :D ) is the corrected verion of the V-bunk???? I have never hit it...at least I don't think so........but I'll sure take a good look at how close it come to the Bow eye next time I load the boat.

You all got me paraniod now! :uglyhamme

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 05:55 PM
OK, heres another one...... Lake Elsinore, CA. We're using a borrowed PS 190 & a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup with nothing in the bed. Ramp is pretty steep (not to mention the lake stinks like he11). Tried to get the boat out the normal way but the truck didn't have nearly the traction to do it, even with 3 of us in the bed. So we let the boat slide down a couple of feet down the trailer, get a little run at it & I pushed the truck up the ramp with the boat, then shut the boat down as it cleared the water. The buddy locked on the boat just at the right time & the truck actually makes it up the hill.

I'm curious, have you ever heard of a Boat Buddy dropping the boat as it's going up the ramp? I've had it not engage right & then of course I have to use the winch. Speaking of which....... I can't believe that winch is all that is supposed to hold the boat on the trailer in front. I installed a safety chain on mine after I saw a winch explode while the guy was driving down the road!

Diesel
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
I can't believe that winch is all that is supposed to hold the boat on the trailer in front. I installed a safety chain on mine after I saw a winch explode while the guy was driving down the road!

Yeah I don't trust it either. I have a turnbuckle that attaches to the bow eye and then to the trailer and it is not going anywhere.

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah I don't trust it either. I have a turnbuckle that attaches to the bow eye and then to the trailer and it is not going anywhere.

A Turnbuckle? Like this? http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-998638reg.jpg

Seems like overkill. I'm sure the boat doesn't go far though. I installed a safety chain that allows the boat to move maybe an inch before it's taught, then it goes nowhere. In 3 years, it's never moved.

Kell
09-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Airjunky, I see your in Liberty Lake. Spokane Valley for myself. We're almost neighbors. :)

dirtrideryzf250
09-01-2004, 08:43 PM
i realize that i am putting the trailer in to far but it is imposible at our ramp to put the trailer in 3 inchs below or above the fender with out the bow hook hitting. but for some good news i called are dealer today and for the first time they admitted to this problem and aare going to fix it for free :dance:.

thanks,
dirtrider

JerryW
09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
I had the same problem, where the hook would catch on the V block unless you had the trailer real far in the water. One fix is to get the V block for the newer model trailer, which has the notch in it, and replace the original V block. (Which is what I did - works like a charm.)

Another option would be to take the trailer to a welding shop, and show them a picture of the newer trailer V block, and have them modify the original, and put a notch in it, so the hook won't catch on it.

mx21
09-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I always put my trailer (tandem) in "too far". Only way not to hit the extended bow eye on the v-bunk (going in or out) and easy on the gelcoat and carpet... never had a problem with the boat not sitting perfectly on the trailer or engaging boat buddy. Just depends on your ramp..........

chris.willman
09-02-2004, 09:43 AM
dirtrider,

My ramp is steep as well. To avoid "putting it in too deep", I have my driver put the trailer in with the fenders about 6" (or so) above the water line, and I pull the boat on about 3/4 ways. I then have the driver "back under me" while I'm slightly under throttle. Make sure you and your driver have clearly understood hand signals so you can direct them how far you want them to come under you. Sounds like you have the problem resolved via your dealer, but this method will help regardless.

Diesel
09-02-2004, 09:53 AM
A Turnbuckle? Like this?

Here is what a properly built trailer looks like :D

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6070/DSC1167.jpg

Stritt
09-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Mag......You are golden. Take a look at my v bunk, notice this is not a "notch" for the eye hook to pass through. My v bunks pads are against each other.

Stritt
09-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Reference pic of yours

bcampbe7
09-02-2004, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Diesel]Here is what a properly built trailer looks like :D

Where's your boatbuddy? :D

Diesel
09-02-2004, 10:09 AM
[/QUOTE]Where's your boatbuddy? :D[/QUOTE]

She's at work at the moment. And trust me she is alot more fun than yours :D .

bcampbe7
09-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Nice... :D

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I frequently piss people off when I "squeeze" in and load up as well but it's usually their own fault for not being conciderate. Most lakes I vist have a 3 or four lane ramp and it never fails some idiot backs down crooked taking up 2.5 of the lanes. All I need is 6" each side and I'm there...............

Tell me about it. My wife (aka my boat buddy) had to thread the needle when a bunch of high school-aged kids in Dad's malibu pulled their boat about 10 feet up the ramp and parked to wipe down and unload.

Even without the boat buddy, we were up and out in 30 seconds tops. Of course, if I didn't have that open bow, I'd probably have gotten a new boat buddy. But with a walk through, it's a snap. :dance:

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Diesel]Here is what a properly built trailer looks like :D

Wow, nice. I'm sure it never moves an inch. Seems like it would take a while to tighten down too though. Guess if the road conditions were a bit rough, it would be a necessity though. I have to admit, I don't even use the rear tie downs if the trip is just a few miles. Drug it to the Snake River last weekend, about 200 miles one way, and had to dig to find the tie downs.

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
But with a walk through, it's a snap. :dance:

HEhehe, guys, it's nowhere near as easy as with the Buddy. Sometime ago, I had a Calabria owner back down at almost the same time as I did. In the same time he hooked up & tightened his winch, we were in & out & at the top of the ramp. While we're wiping the boat down he pulls up & asks how we did that.

Maybe it's the wow factor & not the timing that I get a kick out of. People think we are doing something totally crazy when they see it go down. Probably explains our addiction to Sky Skiing & the dust on all my skis & boards too.

Diesel
09-02-2004, 12:49 PM
[/QUOTE]I have to admit, I don't even use the rear tie downs if the trip is just a few miles. Drug it to the Snake River last weekend, about 200 miles one way, and had to dig to find the tie downs.[/QUOTE]

I have never used rear tie downs in the 10 years I have owned my boat ;)

Mag_Red
09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Mag......You are golden. Take a look at my v bunk, notice this is not a "notch" for the eye hook to pass through. My v bunks pads are against each other. :woohoo: Looks like Mag Red lucks out again!!!! Now if I hadn't just sliced my right thumb open with a machetti yesterday :uglyhamme all would be good! :purplaugh