PDA

View Full Version : Weird Motor / Fuel problem.

BMDWillyZ
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Prostar 195 (with 505 hrs, bought it last season with 490 hrs) and I have an issue that I'm stuck on and wondring if any of you have had this problem and or may know of a solution. This boat is always trailered and I put Marine Staybil in it when I get gas a the gas station.
Monday we took the boat out for a ride and went about a total of 15 miles. Tuesday we took the boat out and went for a ride and went about 30 miles our speed was about 25 - 29 mph. When we were pulling into the marina, the boat stalled and wouldn't start. It would turn over but it seemed as if it wasn't getting fuel. I put the boat on the trailer and took it back to camp. After an hour or so I decided to try to crank it over to see if it would start and it did.
We came back home today and I hooked up the boat to the hose and tried running it. It wouldn't start. I pulled the engine cover off and the back panel that covers the fuel tank. I unplugged the fuel pump and was checking to see if there was any voltage with the key turned to the "ON" position and there was no voltage. I don't know if there is supposed to be voltage to the fuel pump without the engine running. After about 30 minutes I tried to start it and it ran. I let it get to temperature and let it run for about 5 minutes and turned it off. I started it again and ran if for another 5 minutes. I turned it off and then ran it for another 5 minutes and it stalled. The temperaure and Oil pressure have been running normal through this "not so happy journey" that I'm having.
I pulled the connector to the Fuel pump and plugged it back in. I looked for any wires that could have been disconnected. After about an hour I tried to start it and it ran. I ran it for about 10 minutes. I losened the gas cap and put it back on. I even revved it up a little. I finally turned it off and walked away. Here are a couple of questions that I have;

1.) Should there be voltage to the fuel pump with the key in the "on" position?
2.) Is there a relay for the fuel pump and if there is, where is it.
3.) Has anyone had this issue in the past and if you have, what was the solution.
4.) Where can I get an electrial schematic on this boat?
5.) If the engine stalls again, what should I check first?

Thanks inadvance to anyone who can help me with this? Much appreciated.

Bill Z.

g-Dog
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I would first check the lanyard.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? I had an intermittent problem with my new fuel pump...turned out to be the connetor on the top of the pump module not getting a good connection. Bent the tabs a little so they could make better contact...problem fixed.

...or you might need a new fuel pump.:(

BMDWillyZ
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
The lanyard was the first thing I checked. It's was okay. I put the boat away for tonight. I'll have to chech to see if i can hear the pump prime when the key is turned on next time. With that said, should there be voltage to the pump when the key is turned on or only when the fuel pressure is low and it has to prime the line? Could the fuel filter need to be changed? I hope I don't need a new fuel pump, their not cheap.

BZ

g-Dog
08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Do a search for "fuel pump" on this forum...there's a lot of info. You can replace the pump itself for around $70 instead of buying the entire module from the dealer for $400-$500.

mikeg205
08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
2000? yup yup... fuel pump in tank... it's giving up or already gave up its ghost. You got lucky.... at least you didn't need a 30 mile tow.

Link to Fuel Pump 101 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25783)

BMDWillyZ
08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
G-dog, thanks. I searched and found that there has been a lot of problems with the connector to the pump. Every time it started back up. I had disconnected the connector to the pump and reconnected it. I hope that this is the problem. Fingers crossed.

JimN
08-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Prostar 195 (with 505 hrs, bought it last season with 490 hrs) and I have an issue that I'm stuck on and wondring if any of you have had this problem and or may know of a solution. This boat is always trailered and I put Marine Staybil in it when I get gas a the gas station.
Monday we took the boat out for a ride and went about a total of 15 miles. Tuesday we took the boat out and went for a ride and went about 30 miles our speed was about 25 - 29 mph. When we were pulling into the marina, the boat stalled and wouldn't start. It would turn over but it seemed as if it wasn't getting fuel. I put the boat on the trailer and took it back to camp. After an hour or so I decided to try to crank it over to see if it would start and it did.
We came back home today and I hooked up the boat to the hose and tried running it. It wouldn't start. I pulled the engine cover off and the back panel that covers the fuel tank. I unplugged the fuel pump and was checking to see if there was any voltage with the key turned to the "ON" position and there was no voltage. I don't know if there is supposed to be voltage to the fuel pump without the engine running. After about 30 minutes I tried to start it and it ran. I let it get to temperature and let it run for about 5 minutes and turned it off. I started it again and ran if for another 5 minutes. I turned it off and then ran it for another 5 minutes and it stalled. The temperaure and Oil pressure have been running normal through this "not so happy journey" that I'm having.
I pulled the connector to the Fuel pump and plugged it back in. I looked for any wires that could have been disconnected. After about an hour I tried to start it and it ran. I ran it for about 10 minutes. I losened the gas cap and put it back on. I even revved it up a little. I finally turned it off and walked away. Here are a couple of questions that I have;

1.) Should there be voltage to the fuel pump with the key in the "on" position?
2.) Is there a relay for the fuel pump and if there is, where is it.
3.) Has anyone had this issue in the past and if you have, what was the solution.
4.) Where can I get an electrial schematic on this boat?
5.) If the engine stalls again, what should I check first?

Thanks inadvance to anyone who can help me with this? Much appreciated.

Bill Z.

You should see voltage at the pump for the first three seconds after turning the key on, then it should go away. You should hear a click from the fuel pump relay at the beginning and end. You could measure the resistance from the fuel pump relay to the pump and from the fuel pump's ground wire to the battery. They should show a very low resistance.

Make sure the terminals at the fuel pump harness are gripping the pump's terminals well. Make sure the terminals aren't melted at the pump and at the fuel pump relay.

JimN
08-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Please delete my duplicate post.

Thank you.

mtajpa
08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
""5.) If the engine stalls again, what should I check first?""

Fuel pressure spend the 40 bucks and by a fuel pressure tester. Check fuel pressure at key on, Idle, Wide open throttle.

This should be the first thing to check when you suspect a fuel pump problem.

JimN
08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
""5.) If the engine stalls again, what should I check first?""

Fuel pressure spend the 40 bucks and by a fuel pressure tester. Check fuel pressure at key on, Idle, Wide open throttle.

This should be the first thing to check when you suspect a fuel pump problem.

Add 2000 RPM and monitor all through the run. It shouldn't drop significantly at any time.

BallBushing
08-09-2012, 09:38 AM
BMD,

Search on "connector". I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a bad connector (black to yellow) on top of the gas tank. A new harness from Rambo marine $38 and the boat has been running great.

BMDWillyZ
08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
First I would like to thank all of you that have helped me solve this issue I WAS having. Did you see I said WAS. I would never have solved this problem without the help of all of you. I could have taken the boat to a marina and got charged a ton of money. Once again, thanks.
I bought a fuel pressure tester and hooked the pressure gauge to the fuel rail. I turned the key to the ON position and the gauge went to 40 psi. I started the boat (hooked to the hose) and went to the back of the boat where the fuel pump is (had removed all the panels so the tank and pump were visible). I started to wiggle the black wire on the wire harness and the pump would shut off and I would wiggle it again and the pump would turn back on. At this point I was certain that the connector was the problem.
The black wire had a bad kink in the wire and it probably had broken wires at the kink. I pushed all the metal connectors out of the black connector housing and tried to cut and solder the black wire to the metal connector. I was not sucessful. It then dawned on me that reading all the posts on connectors, the green wire is the ground that goes to the Fuel Filler (which I cut off the fuel neck because of the posts saying that it could cause a fire while filling at the gas station). I cut the green wire back enough to splice and solder it to the black wire. I then put the green/black wire connector back in to the spot where the black connector was. I put the connector back on the fuel pump connector and then turned the key to the ON position. I herd the pump turn on and the fuel pressure went to 40 psi. I started the engine and went back to the pump. I wiggled both the black and white wire and the pump never turned off, success.
I have already order the pump parts (Airtex E2044 pump, APEusa FlexHose8, a new fuel filter and gasket) that everone has used to rebuild the pump so I have the parts once the pump fails (which from reading fuel pump 101, it will fail). I will also order the new connector from Rambo Marine (thanks BallBushing) to have on hand if the connector that I have fixed fails.
I have read many other successful stories from others on this site. Now I can share in on the same feelings one has when they conquer a problem. Thank you all and I hope some day another person can read this series of posts and learn how to solve the same issue.

kskonn
08-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Great post! It is amazing how many times I have been on a friends boat and they have had an issue that I was able to diagnose. I am not a mechanical person but it is amazing what you can learn just by reading through these posts about issues and how all the knowledgeable people on this forum suggest to diagnose. This forum has really made me a better boat owner.