PDA

View Full Version : 1979 trailer fenders

insocova
08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Whats up? I am new to the message boards here. Just bought a 79 stars and stripes to restore. Paid 500 bucks for it (no sh!$). 703 original hours, hasn't been started in 12 years, kept outside uncovered, 800 bucks later and the motor runs sweet! I am having trouble locating original trailer fenders for it. The drivers side is cracked really bad and if they are available, I would prefer to replace both. Anyone had any luck finding these? I know I could go with some 90's prostar fenders, but I want to keep the look "old school". Any help or comments would be appreciated. I can't wait to post before and after pics of my total restoration. thanks

H20skeefreek
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
lol, better find you a good fiberglass guy.

MCPS205
08-30-2005, 07:56 PM
These are hard to come by. Your best bet is to have them done professionally if you want them to look good. I did my own on a boat that I owned and they came out ok but these fenders take alot of abuse. If you do alot of trailering, you could buy a whole new trailer. Otherwise I have seen some people make their own fenders out of stainless steel or diamond plate. They looked pretty good actually. You can get some nice polished fenders to weld into the polished diamond plate. NICE!!! Otherwise you are going to be so paranoid about people stepping on them once you pay $550 to get them all fixed up. I bet you'll pay more to fix the fenders than you paid for the boat if you choose to fix them. If you want looks and function, try some shinny metal. Just my two cents.
Sounds like you got a great deal on the boat. Lets see some pics!

insocova
08-31-2005, 05:36 PM
I was told by someone else that the fenders are ABS plastic. The cracks don't have any fiberglass splinters sticking out. Does anyone know if you can do fiberglass repair to ABS plastic? If it is possible, I might look into that. Just want to keep the original fenders.

H20skeefreek
08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
mine are definately fiberglass.