PDA

View Full Version : BF200 Sending Unit??????

jeffbare
08-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I need to replace the sending unit on the fuel tank. Does anyone know who the manufacture is and part number? The boat is a 1991 with a 38 gallon tank.
Thanks,
Jeff

aquaman
08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
West Marine has a couple of standardized units that work fine.

Dylan
08-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Interesting timing with this thread coming up. Ever since we got our boat the sender would read zero, and I always chalked it up to being a non-issue for me since we rarely burn more than 15 gals/day, and essentially fill every time out. We were out on the boat with some non boating people, and they were EXTREMELY stressed out that the gauge didn't read, and we were going to be stranded and die. Which then put into my wife's head that it has to be replaced ASAP :rolleyes:

I have verified that the sender itself still works, just that the foam inside is saturated and isn't buoyant anymore. Can this be replaced individually? Since our boat is stored where the temps in the garage are never below 90 degrees this time of year, I would like to keep my time in there to a minimum. I'm interested in what you come up with! I know they vary in length, and thought I had read 8 1/2" is the one we need (but don't quote me)

aquaman
08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
the original unit is all plastic and interesting because it appears they run electric current inside the gas tank ??

the West Marine units can be "cut" to fit. i forget which model i used, but they are designed for retro-fits.

you want to set it a little on the high side so the gauge redas empty before you are "dry". :)

helton333
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I would NOT get the cut to fit. Get a "reed" style at West Marine. YOu just need to know the depth of your tank to get the most accurate reading. I little short, no big deal, I little long, and it will not work. one bit of advice for removing the filler tube - spray some lubricant up in it to get it moving - believe me, experience speaking here.

aquaman
08-08-2012, 04:55 PM
yes....the reed style is more accurate.

the float style is functional.

Footin
08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
The sending unit for the BF 200 is different as the gauge is digital. I too had a 91 BF200 and had to replace the sending unit twice in the 8 years I owned it.

Call Lex at Rambo Marine in Alabama, he hooked me up both times with the proper unit.

jeffbare
08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
The sending unit for the BF 200 is different as the gauge is digital. I too had a 91 BF200 and had to replace the sending unit twice in the 8 years I owned it.

Call Lex at Rambo Marine in Alabama, he hooked me up both times with the proper unit.

Thanks Footin, I will give Lex a call.
I appreciate the wealth of information we have here on TT.

jeffbare
08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I called Lex at Rambo Marine, the new unit will be shipping today. Apparently the correct sending unit has been discontinues, so he has the custom made by Isspro.

Thanks Footin for putting me in contact with them, seem to be great people to work with.
Jeff