PDA

View Full Version : extended pylon on S&S

Mike Ingram
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey
WhaT is the best way to add an extended pylon on 78 S&S without altering the existing pylon. Want to wake board and pull without interfering with the back seat riders. Not interested in installing a tower on the old girl. Cant bring myself to do it.

Thanks for your ideas.

mzimme
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey
WhaT is the best way to add an extended pylon on 78 S&S without altering the existing pylon. Want to wake board and pull without interfering with the back seat riders. Not interested in installing a tower on the old girl. Cant bring myself to do it.

Thanks for your ideas.

There are a few companies that sell pylons to slide over the top of your existing pylon, then attach to the bow for support via a "ratchet strap" style attachment.

Some brands to look for are:

FlyHigh
Skylon
Ten Foot Pole

This is what it looks like (from another member on here):

http://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9aee-029e.jpg

tph
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Does the '78 have the cross bar at the top of the pylon? If so, depending on the length of the bar (> or < 3") you may have to shorten it or remove it. Also, FLITEPIPE made a pylon that runs next to the existing pylon and is secured with clamps.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
You will need to shorten the cross bar. Cut it the proper length to fit inside and shape the ends round again. I did it to mine and it only took 30 minutes.

mzimme
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
You will need to shorten the cross bar. Cut it the proper length to fit inside and shape the ends round again. I did it to mine and it only took 30 minutes.

You don't even have to cut. They should come out, and if you ever need to reinsert them, you'll have em.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
You don't even have to cut. They should come out, and if you ever need to reinsert them, you'll have em.

Without it you can't hang a ski rope on it without the rope falling to the floor.

Mike Ingram
08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks Guys... Id hate to cut the cross bar. I think the pipe is about 2.5 inches. May see if i can remove the pin. Any problems running the extended pole such as excess stress on the boat, bow,etc.

Mike Ingram
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
wonder if i could split a piece of schedule 40 PVC and then install a larger diameter fly high pole like one for 3" pylons. need to measure the Cross bar.

tph
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks Guys... Id hate to cut the cross bar. I think the pipe is about 2.5 inches. May see if i can remove the pin. Any problems running the extended pole such as excess stress on the boat, bow,etc.

I think the MC pylon is 2.5 inches and the interior diameter of many of the extended pylons is 3 inches. Some owners are concerned about using the lifting ring for the cable attachment (because of the angle) You can always use the strap that goes through the bow "D" ring if you prefer.

mzimme
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I would definitely not use the lifting ring. Use the bow strap, the lifting ring was designed for vertical pull.

Mike Ingram
08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
What is the lifting ring

EricB
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't worry Mike. There is no Lifting Ring on a 78. They only started putting the front lift rings on 83,s and newer for several years.

Mike Ingram
08-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Whew.

tph
08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Whew.

Sorry about that. I assumed (incorrectly obviously) that all the early S&S's had a bow lifting ring. Nautiques of that era had them.

cll695
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM

I am wanting to do the same with my 79. How do you get that piece out? Mine just doesn't seem to want to move.
Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Mine wouldn't budge either, so I cut it. If I ever wanted it back as original, I could cut and drill it out and replace it with a piece of bar stock. It's just aluminum.

cbryan70
09-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I am wanting to do the same with my 79. How do you get that piece out? Mine just doesn't seem to want to move.
Thanks

It does come out. It took a big hammer and alot of pounding to get mine out of my 78