PDA

View Full Version : 205 or Sportstar

Ypsi-Rider
08-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Well my daily surfing the internet and drooling over different boats has finally caught up with me. I put my 85 Stars and Stripes online with a price that I thought was safely out of range but at least made me feel like I was in the market. I got a call last night with an offer that I really can't refuse. Now I find myself without a boat and some cash towards the next one. I think I can safely add a few thousand without my wife screaming too much so I am looking at a budget of around $12,000. Unfortunately there seemed to be lots of nice boats while I was looking but there are slim pickings now. I am looking for a bow rider with a good ski wake. I have heard great things about the early 205's and have a friend that used to ski behind a sport star. Any thoughts or leads on options? Thanks!

mzimme
08-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Forgive me if this isn't the right boat... craigslist is blocked at work, but I think this one was like 12,500 or something around there?

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3181152618.html

edit - nevermind, that's not it. Just checked on my phone.

mzimme
08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Good deal here... http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/boa/3176730360.html

Btw, did you really get 9k for your S&S?

russlars
08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Well my daily surfing the internet and drooling over different boats has finally caught up with me. I put my 85 Stars and Stripes online with a price that I thought was safely out of range but at least made me feel like I was in the market. I got a call last night with an offer that I really can't refuse. Now I find myself without a boat and some cash towards the next one. I think I can safely add a few thousand without my wife screaming too much so I am looking at a budget of around $12,000. Unfortunately there seemed to be lots of nice boats while I was looking but there are slim pickings now. I am looking for a bow rider with a good ski wake. I have heard great things about the early 205's and have a friend that used to ski behind a sport star. Any thoughts or leads on options? Thanks!
I have a '99 205 and my friend has a '99 Sportstar and they both have great ski wakes. I can't tell the difference between them. Not sure about wake boarding behind a Sportstar because I haven't been behind his on a board, but my 205 can produce a nice wake for boarding when weighted properly.

etduc
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
92-95 Prostar 205 has a very good ski wake. Not much storage, compared to newer boats. I installed a tower, just to clear up some deck space. The late 1996-1999 205 have more storage, capability. Little better open water ride. My wife prefers the lower gunwalls on the early 205s, for better sun bathing in the front. :) Both are good boats, just a have different stengths. I was looking for a 1998-99 205, when I came across my 1994. Now, wife won't let my sell the 1994. Summer is ending, boats will start to show up.

escmanaze
08-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Man I really wish I lived closer to Atlanta right now and I would scoop up that boat in a heartbeat!!!

tdjaster
08-08-2012, 07:10 PM
My wife and have a '98 SportStar (closed bow) and we love it. Obviously the 205 will have more room but with the tower on ours, a lot of the floor space is cleared up so we can have 6 adults comfortably seated...7 if someone rides on the engine box. :-)

The ski wake is outstanding, because it's essentially a ProStar. I mostly wakeboard so when it's just my wife and I, we fill a 600# sac in the back seat. If it's a whole crew of us, the body weight makes the wake nice too.

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to rocket you skyward but wake to wake can be done with little effort.

Ypsi-Rider
08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Mzimme I didn't get $9,000. I guess I'm already working on my "its only a few grand difference" sales pitch with the wife. I got a few grand more than I payed for it for essentially some elbow grease and wax. I found a nice 205 near me. The price is a little above my range and I'm not sure about hot pink but it is in super nice shape and the guy is the original owner. http://flint.craigslist.org/boa/3104144419.html I think I am going to try to look at it this weekend after I deliver my S & S to the new owner.

homer12
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Where you located in the midwest? Check this one out. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3187448989.html

Ski-me
08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Mzimme I didn't get $9,000. I guess I'm already working on my "its only a few grand difference" sales pitch with the wife. I got a few grand more than I payed for it for essentially some elbow grease and wax. I found a nice 205 near me. The price is a little above my range and I'm not sure about hot pink but it is in super nice shape and the guy is the original owner. http://flint.craigslist.org/boa/3104144419.html I think I am going to try to look at it this weekend after I deliver my S & S to the new owner.

Looks decent and same color/year as mine. Which 350 engine? Standard or LT1? I think that's a real decent price for the boat if it's in nice shape. Single or dual axle trailer?

Yea, I had the same reaction as you on the pink.....but it OK now. I have 3 girls so I guess it fits. The boat is just plain awesome so that makes up for the pink stuff. I really like ours for sure!