PDA

View Full Version : 2012 B.I.G Recalls?

DeeeJay02
08-07-2012, 12:58 AM
I know there have been a lot of issues with the 2012 BIG Touch Screen, i myself have had mine replaced twice already. I know there are a few recalls on the 2012's coming up in the fall for the PWR Tower (hydronic conversion and braces) I have also heard some rumors of the screen being replaced AGAIN. I have seen pics of the New 2013 X25 (I have a 12' X25) and the screen is different and the cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel now houses a stereo remote. My question is, are they going to convert the 2012's to this style as a "fix" for the touch screen problems? Any info would greatly be appreciated.....

Here are pics of the difference in the dash/screens82609826108261182612

Lucky26
08-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Did you receive info from MC about BIG recalls or was it replaced twice due to malfunctions? I have a 12 boat, but have not gotten any info about recalls.

FoggyNogginz
08-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I think these in dash touch screens are a cool concept, but it also just seems like these are something flashy on a showroom floor that is just waiting to screw up in a marine environment. You know, like the seats with tons of stitching that you have to walk on to get in/out of the boat? Looks good on the dealer floor, but impractical in the long run...thus why I have eventually replaced the factory stereo and the vinyl in all three MCs that I have owned. Just my $0.02.

DeeeJay02
08-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Did you receive info from MC about BIG recalls or was it replaced twice due to malfunctions? I have a 12 boat, but have not gotten any info about recalls.

I haven't received any info yet, just rumored. But to see the 13's with a new style screen leads me to believe that they didn't fix the problems with the 12's and I'm going to be annoyed if they don't Retro fit it because I will be an owner of a "1 year only" optioned boat.

My first screen didn't even last it's first outing and the second screen Mastercraft replaced with a "hardware" update.....

Heelgrad
08-07-2012, 11:33 AM
But to see the 13's with a new style screen leads me to believe that they didn't fix the problems with the 12's and I'm going to be annoyed if they don't Retro fit it because I will be an owner of a "1 year only" optioned boat.

I agree with this 100%. Would be very nice to see MC fix all the problems everyone is having with the Medallion systems. If that involves replacing with the new Murphy screens, everyone would welcome systems that run error free from the beginning.

MIskier
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Unless there is a retro fit kit that has been designed I doubt it will happen since it would require a whole new dash assembly.

In 2010 when Medalion first won the contract to do the touch screens nearly the entire engineering dept. wanted to go with more proven and robust systems from other companies. But marketing and sales didnt think they were blingy enough.

Nick911
08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I just want them to fix the damn ballast tank levels system. I have no idea at any given time how much water is in my ballast tanks unless there is water coming out of overflow.

DeeeJay02
08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I forgot to mention that I am having issues with my screen again.....so the 3rd screen is not doing the auto fill/empty or tabs up/down when I activate a "rider profile". I have to do it manually. Every once in a while the screen goes white and won't reset unless I turn the key off and back on. Sometime when I put it in neutral to pick up a rider all the tabs (attitude and Surf) will go down to 100% and sometimes the radio will turn off and I can't turn it on from the screen, I have to physically get up and press the power button on the radio head unit.....

Do they Lemon Boats?.....J/K

Nick911
08-07-2012, 05:22 PM
There are plenty of other manufacturers out there and only a few of us with 100K sitting around in the recreational budget...

That being said, overall am very happy with the boat. Would be nice to see bigger stock ballast systems though and maybe the rider profile screens made more user friendly.

TheWoons
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
They will not be retrofitting any 2012's.

tommyadrian5
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I think these in dash touch screens are a cool concept, but it also just seems like these are something flashy on a showroom floor that is just waiting to screw up in a marine environment. You know, like the seats with tons of stitching that you have to walk on to get in/out of the boat? Looks good on the dealer floor, but impractical in the long run...thus why I have eventually replaced the factory stereo and the vinyl in all three MCs that I have owned. Just my $0.02.

I agree 100%. Buying a sub 30 foot boat with a built in computer screen is just asking for trouble. These things are going to absolutely crush the value of these boats in the future...its only an accessory if it actually works.

MIskier
08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I agree 100%. Buying a sub 30 foot boat with a built in computer screen is just asking for trouble. These things are going to absolutely crush the value of these boats in the future...its only an accessory if it actually works.

During the design phase I asked about the boat buyer that keeps a boat 5, 10, 20 years and was told that they dont exist. Apparently my family and many on this sight are anomalies to MC. When my parents sold our 88 it had nearly 5000hrs on all original mechanicals and we had only lost a week on the water total over the entire ownership of the boat. Once when the distributer spun around ripping out every sparkplug wire on my parents first outing with it, and the other 2 times parts broke during usage which were a bound shift cable and a starter motor that siezed.

I think that some of the current people at MC view these as boats that last 10yrs and then are basically scrap due to the glitzy electronics and dont care about a very large part of the MC owner community.

Mastercraftdave
08-08-2012, 09:25 AM
I sure do hope that they do something with the 2012's computer screen and ballast. We switched from Malibu to Mastercraft because of the reputation that Mastercraft had. I have had my share of problems with the boat.

1. The first weekend we got it the water went out and for a 6.2L Saltwater series they are hard to get. Not to mention the chip in the gel coat in the rear!

2. The PnP ballast system hasnít worked properly from day one. They have installed the updates and changed out the actuators that switch the valve from tank to ballast. This previous weekend the valve for the front ballast started getting stuck again when being switched back from bags to tank, however I was able to push the valve the extra 1/4in to get it to work!

3. Another problem I am having is with the water level percentages for the tanks and bags. Besides the fact that they are inaccurate for both the tanks and the extra sacks always leaving some in after it reaches 0, they will show the bag full and then the minute you press drain, the go to 0% which cuts the pump off and then you have to keep pressing the button every ten seconds to keep draining the sac.

Overall, our X45 has been an awesome boat. We have put 60 hours on it so far and have really enjoyed the boat. I just wish they will fix these aggravating minor problems now that way this boat last for years to come and wonít always be so buggy with the electronics. Mastercraft should do something for the money that we pay for these boats..

bjames
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I will be pi$$ed if MC leaves all the 2012 BIG owners behind with no support. Techically by the time the new murphy systems are out in full swing, our warrantes will be expired.

Before getting the 2012 X25, I was pondering a 2009 X-Star. I keep kicking myself for not going the X-Star route. It had everything I wanted without the screens and other tech. AND I could have saved about $30K

bobx1
08-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I sure do hope that they do something with the 2012's computer screen and ballast. We switched from Malibu to Mastercraft because of the reputation that Mastercraft had. I have had my share of problems with the boat.

1. The first weekend we got it the water went out and for a 6.2L Saltwater series they are hard to get. Not to mention the chip in the gel coat in the rear!

2. The PnP ballast system hasnít worked properly from day one. They have installed the updates and changed out the actuators that switch the valve from tank to ballast. This previous weekend the valve for the front ballast started getting stuck again when being switched back from bags to tank, however I was able to push the valve the extra 1/4in to get it to work!

3. Another problem I am having is with the water level percentages for the tanks and bags. Besides the fact that they are inaccurate for both the tanks and the extra sacks always leaving some in after it reaches 0, they will show the bag full and then the minute you press drain, the go to 0% which cuts the pump off and then you have to keep pressing the button every ten seconds to keep draining the sac.

Overall, our X45 has been an awesome boat. We have put 60 hours on it so far and have really enjoyed the boat. I just wish they will fix these aggravating minor problems now that way this boat last for years to come and wonít always be so buggy with the electronics. Mastercraft should do something for the money that we pay for these boats..

"Other than that Mrs.Lincoln, how was the play?"

Nick911
08-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I will be pi$$ed if MC leaves all the 2012 BIG owners behind with no support. Techically by the time the new murphy systems are out in full swing, our warrantes will be expired.

Before getting the 2012 X25, I was pondering a 2009 X-Star. I keep kicking myself for not going the X-Star route. It had everything I wanted without the screens and other tech. AND I could have saved about $30K

Thinking of buying the extended warranty. The warranty specifically covers all ballast systems and video screens.

Heelgrad
08-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Thinking of buying the extended warranty. The warranty specifically covers all ballast systems and video screens.

yes. bought my extended warranty when i bought the boat for this exact reason. no matter whose screen is installed it's bound to break at some point down the road. the big question is if a replacement medallion screen will even be available 4 years down the road if you need one.

AZX45OD
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Please translate. I'm not quite following this one.

willyt
08-10-2012, 09:26 AM

hmmm... xstar... drool...

thats why i went 07 with my xstar. that and she was kinda pretty with the sparkles :love:

bjames
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
hmmm... xstar... drool...

thats why i went 07 with my xstar. that and she was kinda pretty with the sparkles :love:

Yup... I had a choice between two 40th aniversary editions (less than 100 hours) and a beautiful 2009 Ruby Red flake, black hull, tan/mocha/red interior loaded tower, Lowpro trailer/stainless fenders and probably the only X-Star fromthe factory with surf tabs - and it was brand new. I still think about that boat today.:rolleyes:

DeeeJay02
08-11-2012, 04:25 PM
yes. bought my extended warranty when i bought the boat for this exact reason. no matter whose screen is installed it's bound to break at some point down the road. the big question is if a replacement medallion screen will even be available 4 years down the road if you need one.

Bump.....I agree, I don't see a 1 year only produced screen to be stocked.

When I had my 06' XStar I was looking for the rubber feet for the tower because mine were tearing and nobody had them in stock (My Dealer, The factory or the tower manufacturer) I ended up having the custome made out of urethane. If stocking a simple "Wear" item is any indication, than were screwed.....

:mad::mad:

Mastercraftdave
08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Please translate. I'm not quite following this one.

Well I'm not sure what happen with that line but I meant to say that the first weekend that we got the got the water impeller shredded to peices and cause the boat to overheat. The impellers for the 6.2 are hard to find since the boat is a saltwater series. Also when we got the boat it had a chip the size of a quarter in the gel coat.

The boat has been running awesome since. The only problems that we are having is with the PnP system. Power tower has been flawless and worked great and very sturdy but we are bringing it in at the end of summer for the retro fit..

AZX45OD
08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
That is a beautiful boat, glad you have enjoyed it. I was informed that there will be a new software upgrade on the 2012 BIG which is aimed at fixing a few more of the bugs. The software upgrade will be available in about 2 weeks according to our area MC rep. According to MC they realize there are software issues on the BIG and are working on - and committed to -getting them resolved.

Nick911
08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
That is a beautiful boat, glad you have enjoyed it. I was informed that there will be a new software upgrade on the 2012 BIG which is aimed at fixing a few more of the bugs. The software upgrade will be available in about 2 weeks according to our area MC rep. According to MC they realize there are software issues on the BIG and are working on - and committed to -getting them resolved.

Very good news.

Mastercraftdave
08-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Yours is just as pretty. Gotta love the x45. Thanks for the update I will be awaiting for the software updates and hopefully that does the trick

Lucky26
08-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Do you know how to access the update? Will we get it via email or will we have to go to our dealer?

bjames
08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Do you know how to access the update? Will we get it via email or will we have to go to our dealer?

I was told that the softwrae update IS NOT something you can download to a thumb drive. They explained that the dealer has to send their BIG master module (whatever its called) to be updated. Once its updated, the master modual is plugged into the system requiring an update and downloads the program from the master module. :confused: But I was told its not a simple task of putting the update onto a USB stick, however he wished it was.

jwardenjr
08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
I received the latest update and it still does not work correctly. I also got tired of my perfect pass not working and got them to upgrade to zero off ! which works like a charm !

AZX45OD
08-29-2012, 12:40 PM
jwardenjr-

What was your PP not doing correctly? Was the speed just off from what GPS was telling you? Or were there other issues?

AZX45OD
08-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I received the latest update and it still does not work correctly. I also got tired of my perfect pass not working and got them to upgrade to zero off ! which works like a charm !

Did you have to pay for the Zero Off upgrade, or did they throw it in as a warranty issue? Has it integrated with your BIG without any issues? If you did pay for it, cost?