PDA

View Full Version : Towing with fly-high pole?

Jason.H.
08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
My wife and I have rented a lake front cabin on smith mountain lake in virginia and will be taking our boat. Im trying to mentally prepare everything and was wandering if I should or shouldnt tow with the fly high pole installed. Boat is 1990 tristar, pole is one piece alluminum x-pole. It has the fly high board rack on it too. Trip will be about three hours one way. I tow the boat every weekend about 15 miles to our local lake and always have the pole installed. It bounces and sways around a little when going over bumps and I tightened the factory pylon a few weeks ago and its pretty solid now. Just wondering what you guys would do. I dont want the long trip to damage the factory pylon or part of the hull where it is mounted.

mzimme
08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
If my boat fit in the garage with my fly high put up, I'd never take that sucker down. Just make sure you know your clearance, and keep an eye on any low bridges/trees/etc. The reason it tells you to take it down is so you don't run into anything with it. Actually having it up won't hurt it.

I would, however, pull that board rack down... or at the very least make sure you have no boards in the rack.

madcityskier
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
If my boat fit in the garage with my fly high put up, I'd never take that sucker down. Just make sure you know your clearance, and keep an eye on any low bridges/trees/etc. The reason it tells you to take it down is so you don't run into anything with it. Actually having it up won't hurt it.

I would, however, pull that board rack down... or at the very least make sure you have no boards in the rack.

X2 on all points.

occva
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I go to smith mountain almost every weekend. Ther are some trees i would be concerned with on my route.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
The potential for disaster is too great for me to leave it up.

CruisinGA
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I can see where you guys are coming from... but every single boat out there with a tower is taller, and they all have to be towed with the tower up?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I can see where you guys are coming from... but every single boat out there with a tower is taller, and they all have to be towed with the tower up?

Not a tower expert, but I thought all but the cheapest fold down for transport.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
MrMC they fold down for storage and mine for getting under low bridges on the lake. I actually think it's better on a tower/boat to leave your tower up for towing. Same with the fly high leave it up as said before.

madcityskier
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Not a tower expert, but I thought all but the cheapest fold down for transport.

I've seen people tow with them down, but rarely, the potential for busting up your boat at every bump would scare the poo out of me. Maybe some of the big boys will weigh in on this?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
MrMC they fold down for storage and mine for getting under low bridges on the lake. I actually think it's better on a tower/boat to leave your tower up for towing. Same with the fly high leave it up as said before.

I've seen people tow with them down, but rarely, the potential for busting up your boat at every bump would scare the poo out of me. Maybe some of the big boys will weigh in on this?

I guess I just illustrated the fact that I am not a tower expert.:noface:

carracer
08-06-2012, 07:22 PM
fly-highs have support straps that are supposed to thread threw the front eye. How do you have the boat hooked on the trailor with fly-high up?

Footin
08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess I do not understand, why would you want to tow any distance with the Fly High up?

d2jp
08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I tow frequently to SML (only about 28 miles) but also tow 3 hours to Lake Gaston. FWIW, I never tow with the flyhigh installed. Overhanging branches, drive-through windows at restaurants, etc...it just isn't worth the possible damage if you it something.

mzimme
08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
fly-highs have support straps that are supposed to thread threw the front eye. How do you have the boat hooked on the trailor with fly-high up?

On my 83's trailer, I can still hook the bow eye up through "bar" on the trailer and still attach the winch. It doesn't affect getting it hooked up to the trailer. With a boat buddy, I can't comment on that.

I will say, I wouldnt tow it without the bow straps still attached. Having the pole loose wouldn't sit well with me.

mzimme
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess I do not understand, why would you want to tow any distance with the Fly High up?

Cause you don't want to deal with getting it set up? I know with mine, I have it so tight that I usually need someone pushing on the pole to attach the caribeaner to the bow straps. If I'm loading the boat alone, that help isn't always there.

Footin
08-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I guess I have never had that problem with mine. I might leave mine up for short trips but anything over 1/2 hour it comes down.

silverblueBP
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
What little time it takes to put the pole up and down, I always take it down when towing. I can't leave the strap on with the boat buddy and with it down, I don't have to think about it.

madcityskier
08-06-2012, 09:19 PM
If it's fixed in place I figure it's safer than having it bouncing off things in the boat. I'm aware of my height, which is a good deal less than many campers and all semis and busses.

XtwentyNot
08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I always took the boards of the rack, took the bow strap off, spun the pole 180 and ran the ratchet strap from the cable to the transom grab handle, and didn't crank the crap out of it. Pole never moved, towed this way for 7 years until I got a tower. Sure it sticks up but so do towers, pay attention to clearances. I would stick it in my truck before my boat if I ever towed with it down.

Wired_Right
08-07-2012, 12:34 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9a87-7fb6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9aa4-207e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9ab0-55f1.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9abd-b1bf.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9ad0-bc5c.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9ade-1d59.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-9aee-029e.jpg

XtwentyNot
08-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Looking good!

tex
08-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Is it that much work to put up and take down? I can fold my tower up or down in under 2 minutes. Tow with it down...over thinking it.

mzimme
08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
It's not really much work, but it is extra work that you don't need to do if you don't have to.

Jason.H.
08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Its not much work at all. Its just awkward to transport if not installed. Mine is the one piece pole so it is six feet long and the board rack is about four feet wide so it wont fit laying down in the boat anywhere with out risking damage. I would pack it in the back of our tahoe but we have a large german shepherd that rides back there and a friend is going with us and riding in the back seat so it cant be folded down. Just seems like towing with it installed is the best option. I just wanted to see if everyone thought it was safe requarding the factory pylon and the mounting support in the hull. Its not really much taller than the tahoe so im not too worried about it sticking up.