PDA

View Full Version : Generator's

pilot02
08-30-2005, 02:51 PM
In the wake of Katrina and what's ahead in the few days we intend to purchase a generator. Question is what size. Any recs as this will likely be used not only for continuous use during clean up but also recreationally in the future.
Thankx

rodltg2
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
i bought the honda eu2000 quiet model and love it. i dont know if you really need the quite one. either way hondas make great generators.

bradamerry
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
In the wake of Katrina and what's ahead in the few days we intend to purchase a generator. Question is what size. Any recs as this will likely be used not only for continuous use during clean up but also recreationally in the future.
Thankx
something with 5500 watts, if you want to run several things at one time. My 5500 will run everything on my camper, water pump, A/C, frig., coffee making and all lights.

I got mine at Sears for about $700.00..

captkidd
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Can't go wrong with anything with a Honda engine on it. Electric start is pretty nice too, but Hondas are very easy to start with a pull-starter too. Several folks mentioned that they were reimbursed for their generators by FEMA following storms, so you may want to check into that. Does your state/county have to be certified as a disaster area to qualify for FEMA reimbursement?

River Rat
08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
We have 6 generators in our Department and we use them daily, and you canít beat a Honda! Those guys beat the snot out of them things daily and we have some that have been in service for 5 years or more. A lot of other brands have come and gone but our Hondas are still going strong. For home use I would recommend at least a 5500.

Ben
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
5500 is a great size, I can run my whole house (except a/c) when the power goes out. This consists of the furnace blower, fridge, lights, single burner on the stove, hairdryers, etc. Although we have gas furnace and gas hot water, may need bigger if you want to run a heat pump or electric hot water heater.. I think it was about $600.

It has a briggs motor. Honda motors are great, but expensive. Couldn't justfiy honda motor for infrequent use. If you plan to use for camping on a more regular basis, could be a good idea, much quieter.

If your thinking this, I'd buy ASAP before they sell out, that is if there are any left.

pilot02
08-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks Everyone,
I don't think supply will be a problem at the moment here in Atlanta but will definitely make a purchase in the nex 24 hrs. Sounds like everyone agrees that 5500 is the best size.

sassydog
08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Honda is your best bet. they have a variety of makes and models that you should be able to suit. i use honda gennies all day long. they're durable and most can supply more than enough power. but they can be pricy, upwards of a grand. but then again, i did see a honda genny get run over by a flatbed crane and it still worked, a little mangled, but it still ran.

chico
08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
I Have A 5500 Honda With A Natural Gas Conversion.i Plug It Into The Bar-b-que Line.or It Will Run On Lp,or Gasoline.a Real Workhorse.

zberger
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
I Have A 5500 Honda With A Natural Gas Conversion.i Plug It Into The Bar-b-que Line.or It Will Run On Lp,or Gasoline.a Real Workhorse.

thats the way to go... flex fuel for the win.

quincyfirefighter
08-31-2005, 11:13 AM
I run two EU3000 Honda's for my house, lose power in the winter all the time from snow storms. Have them hook-up in parallel. Very quite

jimmer2880
08-31-2005, 12:46 PM

I have an old Onan that runs on LP I got out of a church that was torn down. I LOVE LP. The tank can sit (and has) for 3-4 years. Open the valve, push the start button & it fires right up. Also - it's much quieter than a gas. My biggest problem is when running it for 4-5 hours straight - the tank will start to freeze up. so - I put it in my shed & closed the door to keep the heat in. Of course, a larger LP tank (like a 100gal) would also fix it.

pilot02
08-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks again everyone. I called all of the Home Depot's and Lowe's in the area and got the same story (Had 15-20 this morning but none now). Northern Tool had some Northstar 8000's and 5500's with Honda engines so we bought the 8000 with the 13hp Honda. Based on the guidelines I saw, something in the 10,000-13,500 range was recommended but this will do the important things, lights, well pump, etc, assuming we can even get back in. Looking like 10-14 days before they'll let us in.

jimmer2880
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Good luck. We wish you the best.

bradamerry
08-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks again everyone. I called all of the Home Depot's and Lowe's in the area and got the same story (Had 15-20 this morning but none now). Northern Tool had some Northstar 8000's and 5500's with Honda engines so we bought the 8000 with the 13hp Honda. Based on the guidelines I saw, something in the 10,000-13,500 range was recommended but this will do the important things, lights, well pump, etc, assuming we can even get back in. Looking like 10-14 days before they'll let us in.
I can ship you my 5500, if you can't get one..

pilot02
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I can ship you my 5500, if you can't get one..

Thanks for the generous offer Brad. We were able to get one that should serve our purposes. Still haven't gotten any specific word on damage to either my mom's or my sister's houses but there have been some reports on the WWL discussion boards that Brier Lake was mostly ok except for houses along one creek (my sister's is on it and had flooded in the past). Mom's is about 100 yards from the creek so we're hoping for the best there. Main damage that was reported was not from flooding but from downed trees on houses which from an insurance standpoint would be better for us.

As for the generator, we won't be able to run the central A/C, but should be able to run critical stuff such as the pump for the well, lights, etc.

Even though they're saying not to come back, I've seen reports of people getting into the area without problems. And although we haven't officially decided but may try to get in as early as this weekend. As for Brian M, I think he's likely in the same predicament. From the reports I've seen, it looks like his area sustained mostly wind damage, not flooding.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 03:43 PM
with the "Natural Gas Conversion" is this a permanent fix, or is this something you can change out on a whim???

i'm looking to get a "dual-use" generator and trying to figure out the minimum power requirements that we need here in New England for my 2500 sq ft house...usually our only concern is during winter ice storms if the lines go down we'd need to run the following on LP (propane):
1.) Oil Furnace Blower with Direct Vent Fan
2.) Well Water Pump
3.) Water Treatment Tank
4.) Refrigerator
5.) Electric Gas Stove
6.) Basic Lights
7.) Radio
8.) Sump Pump
9.) Septic Tank Pump

i'd also like to take it camping and be able to run gas or a small propane tank...

what is the easiest way to find out the energy consumption of devices???

billr
08-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Search Onan or Catipilar (sp) and you can usually find specs. Natural or LP usually deduct about 10% KW. The bigger you can get, the better off you are.

jimmer2880
08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
The only problem you'll have running it off a gas grill tank, is that it will have a tendancy to freeze up after a couple hours. I have one I had converted. The bigger the tank, the less it's a problem. When I want to run it for extended periods, I try to enclose the generator as much as possible to use the heat it produces to keep the tank from freezing.

BuoyChaser
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
The only problem you'll have running it off a gas grill tank, is that it will have a tendancy to freeze up after a couple hours. I have one I had converted. The bigger the tank, the less it's a problem. When I want to run it for extended periods, I try to enclose the generator as much as possible to use the heat it produces to keep the tank from freezing.
but the tank shouldn't freeze in the summer should it???

jimmer2880
08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
but the tank shouldn't freeze in the summer should it???

Middle of the day, no. My problems happened when it was below 50 though.

After that, I had it hooked to my 100 gal tank for my house & never had any more problems.

BTW - nothing like using propane for your generator. I never have to worry about sta-bil, or anything. Just grab the tank off of the grill & flip the switch.