PDA

View Full Version : trailer help - can it really be this hard

helton333
08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I have a 2003 trailer (I have seen the other thread on this and I guess I am kicking and screaming at the idea of having to either ditch a perfectly good trailer save fixing the actuator or completely re-working the front end including fabrication and welding requirements) - actuator is gone - I do know that company is out of business and MC is using another company whose actuator will not fit the inside of my swing tongue. Also, I think I understand that an entirely new pivot tongue will not fit because the holes on the trailers do not line up where it swings away or pivots.

So this makes a 7 year old trailer close to obsolete if the actuator goes??? -

I just want to make sure nobody else has had any luck with this - for a 2003 X2 - thinking about just welding a fixed ball mount on it because I only trailer the boat twice a year to and from the boat house and really can't get my mind around why something relatively new requires such extensive fix.

Latetowork
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I had the same problem on my trailer for my 03 X30, while I was on vacation a few years ago.

Larson Marine in Stockton, CA ordered a UFP actuator/coupler and was able to have it re-welded to match the holes on the trailer so the swing away arm matched up. They then color matched the paint on the trailer and I was g2g and the trailer is now 100% nicer. Not sure who did the work for them though...

Looks like this now:

http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

It can be done, and you are better off spending the coin to put the newer ones on it. The whole job ran me around $1200 if I recall. I was in a pinch, and didn't have time to shop around, took a week.

bturner2
08-07-2012, 07:49 AM
You need to find a good fab/welding shop or trailer shop to work with. Let's face it the bracket isn't NASA engineered and the whole braking system is pretty straight forward. The conversion is a mix of square tubing, a weld on UFP actuator and a pair of brackets.

I've been looking at this and was considering cutting out the brackets to sell like we've been doing on the F2 trailer jack brackets we've been selling. Or converting over my trailer and created a DYI solution with the tubing cut with the brackets already welded on. The problem is the amount of CAD time, programing time, welding and materials cost just isn't justifying the effort right now. By the time we'd have everything cut/welded people wouldn't want to pay what we'd have into it.

I do have to say I'm somewhat surprised that MC isn't fabbing up a kit for this since they seemed to leave a lot of their customers exposed on this one.

mckyle
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I know it probably isn't local to you but Ameritrail would be the place to go around here for that - my local MC dealer uses them for older/custom trailer jobs. http://www.ameratrail.com