PDA

View Full Version : ran out of gas now making a weird sound

Detox
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
So yesterday out on the boat i was letting everyone drive except myself and by the time we realized the fuel was really low it was too late. starting cutting out and as i ran to shut her down heard a backfire or popping noise of some sort. Had to call for some fuel from a friend and 10 gallons later she fired right up no problems at any rpm so i think the fuel pump is fine. the problem is now theres a mechanical noise coming from the alternator like the cooling fins are hitting in a spot or two. also noticed the brand new belt i put in 30 hrs ago this season has a couple of frays on the outside edge. Any suggestions? Its a 99 ltr in a maristar 230

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Might be a connection between the bad belt and the noise coming from the area of the alternator. Pop the belt off and spin the alternator by hand and see how it sounds and feels.

Detox
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
so it looks like somehow one of the thru bolt nuts came off of the alternator and the bolt was hitting the cooling fins. in the bottom picture you can see the threads where the nut is supposed to go. i'm sure i can get the bolt back in and put a nut on it but will that be safe looks like it just bent all the fins perfectly around the bolt. any ideas on where to get an alternator reasonably priced?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Find a local alternator/starter re-builder. He will have a replacement pulley with all the fins. Might have him freshen up the alt. as long as you are there.