PDA

View Full Version : Trailer coupler HELP please

81SNS
08-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know the size of the latch pin that pushes in to keep the coupler from coming loose?? The trailer is for a 2008 X30, I am not sure how many different one MC made, it is different from any coupler I have ever seen, it has a little door like thing on top that closes to lock on the ball then you push the pin in at the bottom, it is attached with a cable, we were on our way back from the Rambo Marine fun run to Chattanooga last night, coming through Guntersville and had a flat (no spare) but were able to leave it at a tire store in a fence for the night, I remember when i pulled the pin last night, cable and all came off in my hand, and dont think I put it back in, and have searched all in my truck and havent found it, I was thinking on taking a 1/4" bolt if it will fit, and putting in to get home, but its 45 miles over there and would like to be prepared, 1/4" looks a little big....thanks

Jason.H.
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Mine uses what is called a cotterless hitch pin. Is that what yours uses? If so, most hardware stores have them. They are in the the drawers in the hardware section. Take your bolt with you and find one that is slightly smaller if the bolt is too big.

soacj
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
If it's the same as on my '03 trailer, it is a 1/4" pin which secures the coupler. What you might need to look out for though is why the cable came loose when you pulled it out...My cable terminated in a tab which slid over one of the two main pins securing the surge mechanism. When mine came loose it was because the circlip/snapring on the end of the "keeper" pin came off. Without that circlip to retain it, the pin easily slides out the coupler. I believe it was a 3/8" circlip.

Jay

81SNS
08-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Cotterless hitch pin sounds like what it would be, I will take a 1/4" bolt and some 3/16" round stock, surely one will fit, I dont think I messed up anything else. I just jerked it so hard in the dark that I removed cable and all...