PDA

View Full Version : Broken key in ignition

02ProstarSammyD
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Ok guys so someone has to have had this happen. Key spontaniously combusted on the lake this weekend. Key broke off in the ignition almost all the way in. We were on the water and was able to Jam the key in and turn it with the other part. Worked fine as a bandaid for the day but obvs need to get this fixed with the swiftness. Whats the best solution? And before its asked no I can't find my spare.

lukedeuce
08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Depending if you want the key to say Mastercraft on it or not, you can buy new ignition switch at any parts store. Easy to install.

02ProstarSammyD
08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
anybody go pushbutton?

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
....or, take out the switch and take it to a locksmith to repair and make a new key........

TLR67
08-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Depending if you want the key to say Mastercraft on it or not, you can buy new ignition switch at any parts store. Easy to install.

Yep new barrell and set of keys... Easy to put in... Just take your time and make sure you hook up each wire one ant a time and disconnect the others one at a time... There are 6-8 I think.. All color coded...

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
anybody go pushbutton?

Yes, tr6coug and I have custom push button, keyless start switches. No key at all needed. Love it.

tr6coug made the controller for this. He is planning on marketing them through his website, www.wakeblaster.com

lukedeuce
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
....or, take out the switch and take it to a locksmith to repair and make a new key........

But if there isn't the spare, money wasted on trying to cut a new key off two partial parts of a key..

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
But if there isn't the spare, money wasted on trying to cut a new key off two partial parts of a key..

A locksmith can re-key it, and make spares............

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Yep new barrell and set of keys... Easy to put in... Just take your time and make sure you hook up each wire one ant a time and disconnect the others one at a time... There are 6-8 I think.. All color coded...

When I replaced my switch with the push button, I zip-tied the wires together from each post and labelled them, Ign, 12V Acc, etc.......... to ensure they got back in the right place.

lukedeuce
08-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Duh....its Monday and the weekend wasn't long enough.

02ProstarSammyD
08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, tr6coug and I have custom push button, keyless start switches. No key at all needed. Love it.

tr6coug made the controller for this. He is planning on marketing them through his website, www.wakeblaster.com

any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, tr6coug made an electronic control module you mount remotely (under helm) that replaces the key switch. All the wires that were on the switch are connected to the control module and a push button with LED light ring fits into the existing key switch hole. Push for ACC, push to start engine, push to stop engine.

You can PM him for more info if needed...........

BrianM
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM

But it will cost 2x the price of just replacing the ignition switch.

TxsRiverRat
08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok guys so someone has to have had this happen. Key spontaniously combusted on the lake this weekend. Key broke off in the ignition almost all the way in. We were on the water and was able to Jam the key in and turn it with the other part. Worked fine as a bandaid for the day but obvs need to get this fixed with the swiftness. Whats the best solution? And before its asked no I can't find my spare.

Happened to me in 1999 at Ray Roberts - had to replace the entire switch.

BrooksfamX2
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
But it will cost 2x the price of just replacing the ignition switch.

agreed, but he was asking for suggestions, not which was the cheapest solution..............

A push button start isn't the cheapest either, but it is cooler :cool:

ahhudgins
08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Basically, tr6coug made an electronic control module you mount remotely (under helm) that replaces the key switch. All the wires that were on the switch are connected to the control module and a push button with LED light ring fits into the existing key switch hole. Push for ACC, push to start engine, push to stop engine.

You can PM him for more info if needed...........

Is there a simple way to lock it out? We have never had a problem at our lake but I still remove my key when my boat is in the water and I'm away from the dock. My 9 year old nephew would try to start it in a heart beat.

ctjahn
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Thinking of the posters orig thought... And I re-wired my boat (a few years ago). From experience I thought just bypass the key... Heck, I could swap out the ign key in about 30 seconds.

WAIT!

Now that I think of it...That means anyone can hotwire my boat in about 30 seconds... No? Or am I over-simplifying things?

(Mind you its a 1978; and it is stored in my garage with an alarm, plus two dogs, keyed hitch-lock....etc)

cj

madcityskier
08-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Is there a simple way to lock it out? We have never had a problem at our lake but I still remove my key when my boat is in the water and I'm away from the dock. My 9 year old nephew would try to start it in a heart beat.

Shouldn't be too hard to throw a cutoff switch, or even a breaker in the line somewhere. In fact it would make good sense in case the switch were to ever fail.

tr6coug
08-07-2012, 02:29 AM

Yeah, the module has a cut-off switch that disables the push button. You can also wire the original key as the cut off switch. I have just a standard toggle switch under the dash that enables the push button start. That way when I leave the boat, I throw the toggle and no one will be able to start it unless they know where the switch is.

Here is the button installed on my X2. The button toggles between OFF, ACC, ON then back to OFF. To start, you push and hold until the engine fires then one push to kill the engine and go back to ACC. In ACC, the ring light pulses (MacBook heartbeat style) and in ON the light is solid.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/05-25-12_185931_10169_.jpg

DJ 50
08-07-2012, 02:36 AM
How much and where can I get it?

madcityskier
08-07-2012, 08:30 AM
That looks great.

BrooksfamX2
08-07-2012, 10:08 AM
As noted, I have this setup (tr6coug's) in my boat and it is great (I'm his test monkey). Hidden power switch to disable/enable the system. No more keys!!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, the module has a cut-off switch that disables the push button. You can also wire the original key as the cut off switch. I have just a standard toggle switch under the dash that enables the push button start. That way when I leave the boat, I throw the toggle and no one will be able to start it unless they know where the switch is.

Here is the button installed on my X2. The button toggles between OFF, ACC, ON then back to OFF. To start, you push and hold until the engine fires then one push to kill the engine and go back to ACC. In ACC, the ring light pulses (MacBook heartbeat style) and in ON the light is solid.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/05-25-12_185931_10169_.jpg

Very well done.:cool:

BrooksfamX2
08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
BTW, you can get buttons with different colored LED rings. tr6coug's is blue to match his boat and mine is red to match mine..........

tr6coug
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
How much and where can I get it?

I'll get the kits on my website (with a intro-price for TT members) very soon. Hopefully today.

ttu
08-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I'll get the kits on my website (with a intro-price for TT members) very soon. Hopefully today.

while you are adding it to the website, would you go ahead and sell the ballast non timer kits!:D:D

mcskier
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM

I just ordered mine in Red. Can't wait to have this!!

rgardjr1
08-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking this might have to be added to my boat. Looking for a link to the website ...

mcskier
08-07-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking this might have to be added to my boat. Looking for a link to the website ...

http://www.wakeblaster.com/products/Push-Button-Starter

tr6coug
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
while you are adding it to the website, would you go ahead and sell the ballast non timer kits!:D:D

Done. No pretty picture for that one yet though :D

mdo817
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Is the price on the web site the TT intro price? This looks like a sweet mod. might even buy one for my rock crawler.

ttu
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Done. No pretty picture for that one yet though :D

wow, i checked it out and was suprised!! does it over ride the 20 min timers also?

tr6coug
08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Is the price on the web site the TT intro price? This looks like a sweet mod. might even buy one for my rock crawler.

Yup. The button start will work with any 12v system that has a 2 or 3 position key. So, a key switch with off, on, start or off, acc, on, start.

tr6coug
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
wow, i checked it out and was suprised!! does it over ride the 20 min timers also?

Yes. The 20 min timers are the same as the 5 min timers, just with a different program. So, reprogramming will work on the 20 min versions also.

ttu
08-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes. The 20 min timers are the same as the 5 min timers, just with a different program. So, reprogramming will work on the 20 min versions also.

great. i will send you a pm on a last question.

thanks.

rgardjr1
08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Ordered a red one this morning. Got my football season tickets today-let me know if you're making it to Pullman for any games and I'll buy you a cold one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken
08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Just ordered mine as well. Should cut my trips out to the boat in half (can forget the second trip to get the keys!). ;)

tr6coug
08-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Ordered a red one this morning. Got my football season tickets today-let me know if you're making it to Pullman for any games and I'll buy you a cold one.

We're going to the WSU - OSU game in Corvallis. I'll buy you one! :D

rgardjr1
08-13-2012, 11:56 AM
We're going to the WSU - OSU game in Corvallis. I'll buy you one! :D

I'm going to add an RFID key to my setup. I found some on Ebay that are pretty inexpensive. I've been thinking about adding this type of setup to my motorcycle for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on the commercially available ones at $150. This guy sells 3 for $18.00 and they get cheaper when you start buying in quantities of 10:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251007177876

tr6coug
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm going to add an RFID key to my setup. I found some on Ebay that are pretty inexpensive. I've been thinking about adding this type of setup to my motorcycle for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on the commercially available ones at $150. This guy sells 3 for $18.00 and they get cheaper when you start buying in quantities of 10:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251007177876

That is pretty cool! This could be integrated to the push-button start to act as the cut-off switch. I might get some to experiment with. If you don't need all 3 let me know.

rgardjr1
08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
That is pretty cool! This could be integrated to the push-button start to act as the cut-off switch. I might get some to experiment with. If you don't need all 3 let me know.

I won't need all three. I'll send one your way when they get here. Only downside to these is that the range isn't all that great says it's about 3" from sensor, but I'm sure that it will work.

tr6coug
08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Cool, thanks!

Update for everyone that ordered a push button starter kit: The kits are ready but I am waiting on the buttons to arrive. They were ordered last week so they should be here this week. Once they arrive I'll get them sent out. Sorry about the delay there was more demand than I was ready for at the time :)

02ProstarSammyD
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
hey guys after thinking about this just gonna try to get out as cheap as possible. Know someone said pick one up at a local parts store but is this something I can pick up from a napa/autozone kind of deal? anything special I need to look for? 02 209

tr6coug
08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
If you just want to replace the key switch, any 4 position key switch should work. The switch in my MC is a seadog 4 position switch. Here is the link:

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1908-four-position-ignition-switch

Sodar
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I've got two questions.

1) If I install the push button start, do I need to cut any wires or is the install as simple as unscrewing the wire connections and screwing them back into the push button control box? ie. Can put everything back to OEM, if desired?

2) Can you explain how the volume control works? Since I saw something about it having to be installed level, is it somehow based on the angle of the boat or is it like the other systems that are based on RPM?

tr6coug
08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I've got two questions.

1) If I install the push button start, do I need to cut any wires or is the install as simple as unscrewing the wire connections and screwing them back into the push button control box? ie. Can put everything back to OEM, if desired?

2) Can you explain how the volume control works? Since I saw something about it having to be installed level, is it somehow based on the angle of the boat or is it like the other systems that are based on RPM?

1. You need to connect the wires that were on the key switch to the wires that are on the control module. You can do this by two methods.

a. Put ring lugs on the control module wires and connect them to the key switch wire with a terminal strip. To go back to stock would require just screwing them back onto the key switch.

b. Cut the ring lugs off of the key switch wires and use wire nuts to connect them to the control module. The kit has wire nuts included. To go back to stock would require putting ring lugs back onto the original wires then screwing them onto the key switch.

I'm going to post installation instructions on the web site soon, but here is a diagram of the connections.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/bb_diag.jpg

2. The volume controller uses an internal accelerometer to sense bow angle of the boat so it only needs 12 volt power and the connection to the radio. It needs to be mounted about +/- 20 degrees from level. Once mounted, you calibrate it so it knows what angle to trigger the volume change. I have mine mounted in the glove box above the head unit which is about 5 degrees below level.

02ProstarSammyD
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
If you just want to replace the key switch, any 4 position key switch should work. The switch in my MC is a seadog 4 position switch. Here is the link:

Isn't a 209's 3 position or has it just been 2 weeks since water time and Im retarded

JDC
08-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Isn't a 209's 3 position or has it just been 2 weeks since water time and Im retardedThe 4th position you may have forgotten is the start position.
Accy, Off, Run, Start.

02ProstarSammyD
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
My brain is racking but I think mine is a 3. Bastardcraft FTW. Merc 350 in it

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
My brain is racking but I think mine is a 3. Bastardcraft FTW. Merc 350 in it

Mine has been repowered with a Merc as well. :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Mine has been repowered with a Merc as well.

Volvo outdrive?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Volvo outdrive?

Berkley Jet-drive:rolleyes:

02ProstarSammyD
08-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Mine has been repowered with a Merc as well.

I love the "how the hell did that get in there" look

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I love the "how the hell did that get in there" look

Hard to tell on mine. Have to look hard to see the small Mec tag on mine.

tr6coug
08-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Cool, thanks!

Update for everyone that ordered a push button starter kit: The kits are ready but I am waiting on the buttons to arrive. They were ordered last week so they should be here this week. Once they arrive I'll get them sent out. Sorry about the delay there was more demand than I was ready for at the time :)

I just wanted to let everyone know that the push button start kits are shipping this week. :D. Thanks for everyone's patience. I have been working out the build process, so future orders will flow more quickly.

I posted the installation instructions on my web site. Here is the link:

http://www.wakeblaster.com/installation/installing-a-push-button-start-kit