PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my 1st ski boat. PS 205 or gekko?

moski
08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I grew up water skiing and finally ready to purchase my 1st ski boat. Im early 30's with 2 kids (need open bow). I want an inboard for slalom skiing and barefoot (will get a boom and sky pylon). But i will also be using for tubing, teaching kids to ski, etc... I am sure as my kids get older maybe little wakeboard/wakesurf, etc... I would prefer an engine that is FI. I found a 94 mc 205, in Panama city that the owner skis and lives in Lake Powell (Brack water). I am waiting to see pictures of engine. The rudder, prop and other gear had discoloration on it. Im in the midwest. From who i have talked to its not a good idea to purchase that boat due to the use in brack water. Any advice would be great. Meanwhile i have come a across an inboard Gekko gto22 that is 4-5 years newer than the 1994 mc 205 and cost $3,000 less. I do know that MC holds value better than anything out their, because they are the best. I would love to have a MC for my first ski boat, but pay less and get newer boat is hard to pass up with the Gekko. I have heard they have a great wake like the top inboards and can do all the same thing as a 197 or a 205. They are a nice looking boat too, not as nice looking as a MC197

Anybody ski on any of the Gekko inboards? Thoughts on them would be great.

I am thinking instead of spending $15K - $17K on a mc 205, save that extra money, buy the gekko now. Get the family skiing now and continue to save money to buy my dream boat in 5-10 years which is a MC 197.

I have been looking on all websites and even craigslist in all states/cities around midwest for MC 205 that fit my budget. I have seen some that are okay condition.

I am appreciative of any and all adivce?

madcityskier
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Gekko will have a worse ride in choppy water and lacks the level of comfort and spaciousness. Build quality will also be lower. If you plan to slalom weekdays and early I might go Gekko, but not to use on weekends. Might be that neither is your boat.

mikeg205
08-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Brack water - I would stay away from...boat could be solid but a spending a few thousand may be in short order for manifolds. Is it a closed system cooling model? If your looking for a solid boat I have a friend who has a 97' 205 with approx 750 hours on it and is looking to sell this fall or spring. Looking to sell it for 10K - it had some tree damage which was repaired - it has a tower and perfect pass. Nice boat... needs a good home. He's looking to upgrade. PM if interested and I will get you some pics and contact info.

Otherewise I would stay away from the Gekko from a construction point of view. How many older gekko's are still around. Lot's of MC's around... be patient.. My MC showed up in August of 2010 and I got it for a very good price.... only 526 hours when I purchased.

mzimme
08-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Buy this.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49836

moski
08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Gekko will have a worse ride in choppy water and lacks the level of comfort and spaciousness. Build quality will also be lower. If you plan to slalom weekdays and early I might go Gekko, but not to use on weekends. Might be that neither is your boat.

Yeah, I 100% agree MC has the best build quality. Hands down. With the Gekko, my understanding that they have that deep v keel that can take on rough water. But another thought, any inboard will handle a little rougher in choppy water vs an IO, vdrive. But I guess your saying out of the inboards Gekko vs MC, gekko will have a little rougher ride due to build quality and it seems like its sleeker (lower to the water) looking. Thank you

moski
08-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I talked to that guy. That boat is out in CA. too far way.

moski
08-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Brack water - I would stay away from...boat could be solid but a spending a few thousand may be in short order for manifolds. Is it a closed system cooling model? If your looking for a solid boat I have a friend who has a 97' 205 with approx 750 hours on it and is looking to sell this fall or spring. Looking to sell it for 10K - it had some tree damage which was repaired - it has a tower and perfect pass. Nice boat... needs a good home. He's looking to upgrade. PM if interested and I will get you some pics and contact info.

Otherewise I would stay away from the Gekko from a construction point of view. How many older gekko's are still around. Lot's of MC's around... be patient.. My MC showed up in August of 2010 and I got it for a very good price.... only 526 hours when I purchased.

Thank you. I will pm you to get your buddy's info and pictures. I am little concerned about the repair damage to the boat from the tree. I know, if i am patient enough more boats will come on market in the next month or so.

If anybody sees anything out there let me know please.

mzimme
08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I bet he'd ship it to ya ;)

That boat is so clean, if I was looking for a boat, that'd probably be one I'd strongly consider buying. I can't believe how good that thing looks.

Good luck in your search though, sounds like you picked the right brand.

surfacetension
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I have only had mine for 5 years , but I had a Supra before this and I can tell you that I thought that was a well built boat........ until I got My Mastercraft, and from what I see they hold thier value very well. If you can swing it I would wait for the right MC to come along. good luck with your search I will keep my eyes out

ttu
08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
nice looking 205

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3181152618.html

gts-20
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I enjoyed my Gekko for years, but untill I purchased my Mastercraft, I really didn't know what I was missing. There is no comparison. The MC is far superior in every aspect.

Ski-me
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
This looks decent for $12,800

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3100869384.html

Can't tell what year but does have the LT1 in it.....

moski
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
This looks decent for $12,800

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3100869384.html

Can't tell what year but does have the LT1 in it.....

I like it. Bad thing is that I'm 26hrs away from it. Thank you for helping me look for a mc boat.

moski
08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
nice looking 205

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3181152618.html

I'll give him a call. Thank you. 5hours away. I'm in missouri.

mzimme
08-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I'll give him a call. Thank you. 5hours away. I'm in missouri.

Have you looked around on the lake of the ozarks craigslist? There's quite a few inboards that pop up on there.