PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp Issue

Duluth
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a friend with a 2012 14V who seems to be having an engine temp issue. It is intermittent, and can be at various RPM levels. One minute it is holding at 160, and the next it can be at 220. Once it gets high, it seems to limit the engine rpm to about 2000 RPM he tells me. I checked the inlet water filter screen, and it was pretty clean (just a small weed), and after cleaning it out it stayed at around 210. I then had him increase the RPMs and the temp dropped and ran fine again for a little while. It seems to run fine for a while and just happens all of a sudden. I am not sure but was thinking it could be a thermostat issue, or something plugging somewhere but not sure how it would get passed the inlet screen. I am not sure what size the engine is, but it is an llmor.

Any guidance you have would be greatly appreciated!

Lucky26
08-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Check the circulating pump. Some 2012s have had to have pumps replaced.

Duluth
08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
I thought about it being a pump or impeller issue, but wouldn't it be a constant issue if that was the case? Also, is this a rubber or stainless impeller, and how do you get to it since it looks like it is at the back end of the engine and not easy to get to.

davomaddo
08-03-2012, 08:59 AM
The raw water impeller pumps are at the back of the engine and difficult to get to.
I bought this impeller puller - http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1244 which makes the job a lot easier. Once you remove the cover to the pump, the impeller wedged in there pretty good. If you had easy access to it, you would just use 2 needle nose plyers to remove it. On a V-Drive it is usually hard to get to with plyers and this impeller puller really helps.
I am not an expert, but I would think the raw water pump impeller needs to be what you look at next - since you already checked for blockage (easiest and cheapest fix).

JimmyDean
08-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I had very similar symptoms and it ended up being the thermostat and the circ pump.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Why not let the dealer take care of it under warranty?

Justin D.
09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Defiantly the circulation pump. I had the same problems with spontaneous engine temps, and it got so bad that my circulation pump had actually cracked and was spraying water into the engine compartment. Defiantly take it to a dealer and have them fix it under warranty