PDA

View Full Version : Need some advices from LPG guru's

Fab
08-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Hey,

So I know the LPG conversions aren't common down in the US but a lot of boats have it here in EU, including my 08' X2...works perfect but I was wondering what was the lifetime of the steel tanks of the system...I believe my tanks are from 2008 too...

Those are 70x30cm standard steel tanks...Dothey need to be replaced after several years ?

Hope some guyslike Holman will check TT !!

Holman J.B.F
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
10 Years,....with a certificate.
after 10 years you need to have them checked and ask for a new certificate.

mark g
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
As Holman said 10 years then re test, personly I used to take out the gas tank every two years in the winter give it a rub down and give it a coat of Hammerite metal paint, just to keep the rust at bay. Seen some with a few years on them and total rust buckets.

Fab
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
thx for the tips, but who is able to check it and give a certificate in your countries ? I've never heard of that here in France, need to dig this but LPG boats are very rare here ;) ...I have some rust on mine where the black paint is scratched but mostly not on the tank but on the supports...

I don't even know where to ask to find someone that could do the maintenance on the LPG system, my tech doesn't know **** about it !

I guess you Holman are selling those steel tanks maybe ? how much for it with the solenoid valve, gauges and adaptator for filling ?

looks like this on my boat :

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6477/img0062ym.jpg

Holman J.B.F
08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
we do not sell those tanks anymore but they are still availeble.

see http://www.lpgsystems.nl/ all dutch but you can get an impression.
But if your tanks are stamped 08,...then you,ll be fine till 2018.

Just check your fuel lines and connections & the O-rings from the quick connectors once in a while,spray some dishsoap and water on them and look for leakage.
Look for wear on the o-rings,..order some spare rings cause you will need them sonner or later.
they are only 1 buck or so.

does your insurance company requires you to have a LPG cirtificate?
like a written document that the fuel conversion has been done by a certified/competent dealer?

Fab
08-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks man, really appreciate your help ! I was wondering if my tanks had some kind of security valve ?

Will check what is stamped on it...For the moment the system is really flawless so let's hope it will continue !! My biggest concern is about all the non stainless pieces used in the fuel lines and connections that show some corrosion !

Don't you know some buddies in France who works on LPG ? ;)

In fact we didn't tell our insurance about the LPG, they did not ask about it...