PDA

View Full Version : Dripless Shaft Seal Dripping...

davomaddo
08-03-2012, 01:55 AM
I have an 08 X15. It has the dripless shaft seal, but it is now dripping.
I tightened all the clamps, but it has a pretty steady stream coming out. On this boat, I have to stand on my head adn contort myself just to see the shaft packing. It is hard to tell exactly where the leak is. There are multiple hose clamps on it. The leak appears to be on the end towards the transmission/bow and not on the back end.

The leak is more than just dripping, more like a steady stream of water.

Do these seals need adjustment? Are there any simple fixes I should be checking - or is this something more major?

I dinged my prop, not too bad, but fixed it a few days later.
I couldn't notice any vibration with the dinged prop, but it might have caused the issues I a am dealing with now.

davomaddo
08-03-2012, 02:03 AM
I looked up the shaft packing on line. I have the OJ XPC Shaft Seal. http://www.ojprops.com/products
The website talks about servicing it in under 5 minutes, but doesn't say how to service it.
Does anyone know what they are talking about:

The DLXPC Seal is a revolutionary design that provides an integrated spare seal carrier. This system can be serviced in under 5 minutes and you’re on your way! Gone are the days of flooding the bilge to change a seal or the costly expense of a haul out to do such job.

sand2snow22
08-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Hopefully Eric from OJ will be on soon to assist!

davomaddo
08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I should mention, it is dripping even when the boat is running and not in gear.

gotta_ski
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure about the OJ model, but with the PSS (packless shaft seal) you just grab the graphite collar and compress the rubber boot, then let it go. It opens the gap between the graphite collar and the stainless steel collar, spraying water into the bilge and hopefully flushing out any contaminants that might be making it leak. I think the OJ system is similar, isn't it?

davomaddo
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Anyone else have any ideas?

bturner2
08-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I heard the same thing about resetting the seal. I had a friend pull his apart and clean it with car wash soap then put it back together. If you can find the installation instructions you might also want to check that it has the correct pressure on the collar. It's a pretty simple design. Either something is fouling the seal, the seal is not properly tensioned or it's worn out/damaged.