PDA

View Full Version : Price Point for 2008 X-15

looneyde
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi all,

New to the boating world and trying to decide on a used boat for wakeboarding/surfing. Found a used 2008 x-15 and was wondering what a fair deal is on this.

2008 Mastercraft X-15
MCX Engine
90 hours
Perfect Pass
Heater
4 tower speakers w/lights
2 Amps
Underwater Lights
Docking Lights
Aftermarket Tandem Axle trailer
Cover
Bimini Top
Pop-up cleats
Stock Ballast
Swivel Wake Racks
Fiberglass Swim platform
No shower
No Subwoofer
Single Battery

Thanks for the help.

Limpkin
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
That will prb be in the 50-60k Region. I saw a similar 2007 with more hours sell in less than 24 hours for 45k earlier this week.

looneyde
08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
He's asking $55000 firm, just wanted to make sure I am not paying too much. I thought $50k would be a good deal, but he's not budging.

willyt
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
allllllll about condition. mint? I'd say 55ish
salt? left uncovered? beat up? 30ish

the "Aftermarket Tandem Axle trailer" makes me wonder

looneyde
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
It's in absolutely mint condition. Fresh water only. Stored on a hoist and heated garage. I thought that about the trailer too...he claims it was because it has metal fenders and is actually an upgrade over the stock trailer. Not sure about that one.

Thrall
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
If you ever have a blowout on the trailer you'll figure out why metal fenders are an upgrade from stock!
X15's are hard to find.
Buddy gave $47k for an 06 with 300hrs, loaded like the one you're looking at, mint condition, and he looked for a year for that deal.
$55k is not out of line, but you might be able to chip him down a couple thou.

jkcTN
08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I paid 49k for an 07 a few months back mint condition, but it didn't have near as many options... no heater, or underwater lights which are options I would have loved to have.... Mine had 72 hours on it when I bought it... He was originally asking 52 for it.... I was the first to call bought 4 days later and he literally had people lined out the door wanting to buy it. I'd say for a year newer with those options I'd try to talk him down a grand or two, but would have no problem paying 55k... The X15s are going for a premium if well taken care of.

kgrove
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
What do you guys think the X-10 will do to X-15 resale values? I've got an '08 that I had no thoughts of selling, but I do have some concerns about whether the X-15 values start to take a hit being a discontinued model. This isn't the first MC model to go away... What happened to resale values of those other models?

mzimme
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
What do you guys think the X-10 will do to X-15 resale values? I've got an '08 that I had no thoughts of selling, but I do have some concerns about whether the X-15 values start to take a hit being a discontinued model. This isn't the first MC model to go away... What happened to resale values of those other models?

Personally, I would think the demand would stay pretty much around the same. They're already a sought after boat. Cutting the supply limits the number that will be available in the future, and with demand staying the same, you might even find more money in the used market considering the x10 replacing it will probably be pushing 100k after it's all loaded up with options. The used inboard market is rich right now for sellers.

PLR
08-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I am going to be selling my 2007 X-15 at the end of this year, and I will be in the 55k price range. I'd say that the price for that 08 is probably about right. The only thing that would concern me a little is the MCX. I have the LY6 and I can't imagine having anything less.

Thrall
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
The X15 resale will NOT be hurt by the X10. First, the new boats are so f#%^$% ing expensive, that helps resale on all the models.
Second, the X15 is really the best all-around boat in the lineup, IMO. Most buyers aren't pro boarder, surfer, skiier, but know and appreciate a quality wake or wave or lack thereof. The 15 does all those things, plus seats as many people as alot of larger heavier boats and is still light enough that a 350 engine pushes it around the lake with authority.
Oh, and it handles rough water better than a X2 or X45.

What did discontinuing the X1/X2/Xstar/205V do to their value? It didn't hurt it, that's for sure.

GoneBoatN
08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I am going to be selling my 2007 X-15 at the end of this year, and I will be in the 55k price range. I'd say that the price for that 08 is probably about right. The only thing that would concern me a little is the MCX. I have the LY6 and I can't imagine having anything less.

I have the MCX in the X-15 and I've been very happy with the performance.

kgrove
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM

I'd disagree a bit. I have the mcx on my 15 and it is good enough. I've loaded up as much as 2000 lbs over factory ballast and never had problems getting on plane, and I have the stock prop. Unusually run 1000 or sometimes 1500 of extra ballast plus full factory plus 2-3 people in the boat and it feels downright sporty to me. I'm quite sure a bigger engine would perform even better, but I certainly think the mcx is at least adequate on the 15 and makes the boat more affordable. I think you'd really have to be filling the boat super heavy before youd regret the mcx. I think the 15 is just small enough a boat the mcx works just fine. My previous X-30 was a different story. I had the mcx in that as well and it was a bit more sluggish than I preferred. That extra 800 or so lbs of boat weight and 18 inches of waterline seemed to push over my limits for the mcx.

mzimme
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Those of you with the MCX in a x15, don't take it much above sea level... you'll be very disappointed. I rented one in Colorado, and the thing wouldn't plane out pulling me on a wakeboard. We had 6 people up in the bow, no ballast, and the thing still didn't plane. I was just plowing throught he water on my wakeboard at about 15mph. It was terrible.

Granted, that was at around 7,000 ft of elevation, but I expected more out of it than that.

kgrove
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Those of you with the MCX in a x15, don't take it much above sea level... you'll be very disappointed. I rented one in Colorado, and the thing wouldn't plane out pulling me on a wakeboard. We had 6 people up in the bow, no ballast, and the thing still didn't plane. I was just plowing throught he water on my wakeboard at about 15mph. It was terrible.

Granted, that was at around 7,000 ft of elevation, but I expected more out of it than that.

How sure are you the boat was in good mechanical condition? That sounds deeply suspicious - like maybe that was more a problem with the rental boat than the X-15/MCX itself. I'm wondering if it was out of tune, had a totally wrong prop, etc.

Granted, the highest elevation I've used mine at is maybe 2500 ft - a far cry from the 7000 ft you rented at. That still seems like a massive performance decline versus my experience. I think the heaviest load I've done was about 1000 lbs over factory ballast plus about ten teenagers in the boat (maybe 1200 lbs of teenage angst?) and it had no problem pulling me at 21mph... But that was at 2000 ft elevation.

Anyone here use one of their own at high elevation to confirm? I'd love to know if I have to be careful bringing mine up high or if this was just a bad rental boat.

mzimme
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
The boat was a 2012, less than 100 hours, that was purchased in Loveland, CO. I can't imagine a Colorado dealership selling these guys a boat without the proper prop on it, but I can't confirm. They didn't even let me drive it. They had a driver that went along with the boat. They didn't allow food in it, or any colored drinks... even though we paid ~$800 bucks for the day to use the boat. Those factors tell me they take care of the boat. It was fine while surfing, but obviously you don't need to be on plane for that. Wakeboarding with my brother on the end of the line the boat was able to plane out, but not with me. He's about 50lbs lighter than I am, but once I was up on the board I can't imagine theres that much drag on the boat. Hole shot was fine, but getting to speed suuuuucked.

Because of that experience, I'll always look for the bigger motor in my future purchases.

Thrall
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
How sure are you the boat was in good mechanical condition? That sounds deeply suspicious - like maybe that was more a problem with the rental boat than the X-15/MCX itself. I'm wondering if it was out of tune, had a totally wrong prop, etc.

Granted, the highest elevation I've used mine at is maybe 2500 ft - a far cry from the 7000 ft you rented at. That still seems like a massive performance decline versus my experience. I think the heaviest load I've done was about 1000 lbs over factory ballast plus about ten teenagers in the boat (maybe 1200 lbs of teenage angst?) and it had no problem pulling me at 21mph... But that was at 2000 ft elevation.

Anyone here use one of their own at high elevation to confirm? I'd love to know if I have to be careful bringing mine up high or if this was just a bad rental boat.

That's completely accurate with the stock 13.7x17 prop. A new 2012 should have 15.5? pitch prop stock, still not a stump puller though.
My X2, MCX, at 6000' at home in CO would not get past 4500rpms with the OE 13.7x17 prop. Take that up to Blue Mesa at 7kft and it was only getting about 4200rpms all in. I could get up on a board and plane out no problem, but it felt like I was being towed by an old Bayliner not a dedicated tow boat. My buddy who was about 220lbs and not much time on a wakeboard really struggled to get up. This was just factory ballast and a few people inthe boat. At 9kft at Reudi Res, it would plane, but it took a while.
Swapping to a 14.25x14.5 Acme gave me all the rpms back up to 7kft at least, never had it back at9kft.
Now doen here at sea level, put the 13.7x17 back on and it pulls about like the 14pitch at 7kft. Even going up to 2500'-3kft elev with the stock prop made it a little sluggish, but manageable.
The X15 is essentailly the same weight, just a little longer wetted surface Id imagine.

Thrall
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I can't imagine a Colorado dealership selling these guys a boat without the proper prop on it, but I can't confirm.
Because of that experience, I'll always look for the bigger motor in my future purchases.

They do!
Friend bought a X45 from the Denver MC dealer. Has the 550hp LSA engine. It came with too high of pitch in my opinion. Even with that monster engine at Lake Powell, 3kft?, it had trouble getting full rpms with a boat load of people. Still ran out fine, but not near the snort I anticipated from that engine at that altitude. Judging by the perf at 3kft, I'm pretty sure it would suffer big losses at the higher lakes where he lived on the Western Slope. (Maybe not though with the blower, never drove it at high alt.)

kgrove
08-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Hmmm... If I remember correctly my '08 came with (and still has) a 14.25x14. I thought that was the stock prop.

jammerdave
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
just bought a loaded 07 x15 for 48,600, 150 hours mint cond.

sand2snow22
08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
How many hours? Just sold a 08 X-2 with 224 hours today for $54k

onewheat
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hmmm... If I remember correctly my '08 came with (and still has) a 14.25x14. I thought that was the stock prop.

That's what out '07 came with - love the boat. Have about 480 hours on it, as of last weekend.

cdstukey
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
The boat was a 2012, less than 100 hours, that was purchased in Loveland, CO. I can't imagine a Colorado dealership selling these guys a boat without the proper prop on it, but I can't confirm.

We have several x-15s on our lake (5600') with MCXs. They seem to do well. I have one in my 14v and don't have any issues. I'd agree with thrall that it doesn't sound like it was set up correctly. For the record, while there are several boat dealers in Loveland, there is no MC dealer there. The only MC dealer in Colorado is in Denver. Chances are if it came out of Loveland it was a low hour second hand/repo boat and as such may not have been set up for altitude.