PDA

View Full Version : Lost reverse 94 190 velvet drive 1:1

André
08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey guys!
Just came back from skiing and lost my reverse while picking up a skier.No clunk or nothing...
Removed cable and engaged it manually but no chance.
Changed the transmission oil last week and may have overfilled it by 2-3 ounces no more but skied 10 hrs since then with no problems.
Any ideas on what i can check before removing it?
T.I.A.
Andre

east tx skier
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Bump for you, André. Please hold for the smart posters.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Have you checked on how over-full? Was the fluid really aerated? Turkey baster will work to remove some. Make sure you don't get caught by the wife and wash it out well before you put it back in the drawer.:rolleyes:

sam196370
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Lost reverse in my '79 SNS (351W, VD 1:1) a few months ago, continued to use it without reverse and besides having to push boat off trailer there were no issues although I didn't need to dock it or manuver in tight spaces....

Other than freeing up a frozen motor mount to align everything the job was fairly straightforward; labor intensive but not too difficult. Having someone strong to help get old trans out of boat and new one in is helpful since it weighs abt 100 lbs (kid helping me dropped the new trans - luckily on soft ground).

If you're going to do it - good time to replace cooler, hoses, trans mounts, shift cable, mounting hardware. I found my VD 1:1 on Ebay for $435 and there are still a handful there for under $500. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the job and make sure you have trans set-up properly for the rotation of your motor; I had to pull mine twice since trans was set for RH rotation and my boat is LH; changing rotation is easy.

lhkrueger
08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
You can download a manual from Basic Power Industries. You can put a pressure guage in on the top of the unit to check your pump pressure in reverse. Since foreward works pump should be fine. Pressure should read 150 psi when reverse is engaged. If it does your reverse actuator may be stuck or you may have a valve issue or the clutch disks are worn out. If it does not you may have a serious internal leak from a blown seal. Either way it will need a tear down and rebuild. If you have good wrench skills you can do it yourself with parts from Skidim, Hale Marine or Basic Power. They will also sell you a rebuilt exchange unit. Could also be a chunk of crud found its way into the valve cylinder. That can be taken out and checked in boat. Good Luck