PDA

View Full Version : Ltr Possibly running rich

swatguy
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Just clicked 1030hrs. Been noticing a little more of a fuel smell coming from the exhaust. The boat isn't having any running issues or starting issues its smooth as silk..........it just seems to smell like gas way more than usual. Wondering if I should be concerned or need to adjust or check something.

JimN
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Just clicked 1030hrs. Been noticing a little more of a fuel smell coming from the exhaust. The boat isn't having any running issues or starting issues its smooth as silk..........it just seems to smell like gas way more than usual. Wondering if I should be concerned or need to adjust or check something.

There's almost nothing to adjust- check the ECT (Coolant Temperature Sensor).

How old are the plugs and plug wires?

swatguy
08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Plugs are new this yr and wires were done last year.

CruisinGA
08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Plugs will tell all when it comes to mixture.. have you looked at them?

swatguy
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
What should I be looking for? They were new at the beginning of season. I let the old ones burn off the fog and stabil for 2 tanks an then put the new ac delco's in. I am not really an engine guru so forgive my ignorance. I do all my own maintainance and can pretty much swap parts, but as to the workings and internals......... That's way out of my league. ;)

CruisinGA
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Pull them out and take a picture, post it here. There are also lots of photographic guides on the interwebs.

Thrall
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
If it's running rich, the plugs will be black/sooty.
Good burn is typically about a cardboard color brown.
White is bad (lean).

JimN
08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
What should I be looking for? They were new at the beginning of season. I let the old ones burn off the fog and stabil for 2 tanks an then put the new ac delco's in. I am not really an engine guru so forgive my ignorance. I do all my own maintainance and can pretty much swap parts, but as to the workings and internals......... That's way out of my league. ;)

Verify that the gap is correct. That's not something you want to assume because it can start out wrong, or if it was correct from the factory, it can be changed in transit if the carton was dropped.

swatguy
08-23-2012, 10:26 PM
So finally getting around to tracking this down. My work schedule abruptly changed and haven't have much time.

Where is the Ect located?

My plugs barely have any discoloration just the tip of the ends had a very small amount of discoloration.

mikeg205
08-23-2012, 10:42 PM
This maybe a really a dumb question... and if you did ignore my suggestion... spark arrestor clean?

swatguy
08-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Yup. Clean as I can get it. I never did the t stat swap yet if that's what your referring to

JimN
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
So finally getting around to tracking this down. My work schedule abruptly changed and haven't have much time.

Where is the Ect located?

My plugs barely have any discoloration just the tip of the ends had a very small amount of discoloration.

What color? Black, brown, tan, white?

Look for a sensor on one of the heads or on the block with one yellow wire and a black one. It's the only thing on the engine with those colors.

mikeg205
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
What color? Black, brown, tan, white?

Look for a sensor on one of the heads or on the block with one yellow wire and a black one. It's the only thing on the engine with those colors.

+1 ^^ - thanks for all your posts JimN... I have learned a ton from reading from the University of JimN.

swatguy
08-24-2012, 08:37 AM
It was a black color

JimN
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
It was a black color

Wet and black, or dry? Does the exhaust smell strongly of gas? If nothing is wrong, other than running rich, clean the flame arrestor. If that does nothing to help, remove the two-wire ECT and put it in hot water & measure the temperature of the water before measuring the resistance of the sender. If it's much more than 200 Ohms at 200F, it's bad.

Here's a chart-
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528006c544

MODS- PLEASE MAKE THIS EASILY AVAILABLE!

swatguy
08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for a the info. It was a very dry black.

The exhaust isn't overwhelming. It's just more than it used to be. Where it wasn't even noticeable over the past few years I now can smell it during idle while on the platform getting ready to ride. I recently had my gas supply switch in that I was still able to run non ethanol up until this summer. Unfortunately that station closed so now I am stuck with the ethanol gas.

JimN
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for a the info. It was a very dry black.

The exhaust isn't overwhelming. It's just more than it used to be. Where it wasn't even noticeable over the past few years I now can smell it during idle while on the platform getting ready to ride. I recently had my gas supply switch in that I was still able to run non ethanol up until this summer. Unfortunately that station closed so now I am stuck with the ethanol gas.

If you don't idle for long before shutting it down, I would look at the ECT, then the engine grounds.

mikeg205
09-02-2012, 11:21 AM
hey swat any updates?