PDA

View Full Version : Increase Alternator Amps??

Double D
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Need a little insight here.

I have never really thought my alternator was putting out its full capabilities (50 Amps) but I have recently added a second battery with an automatic switch/isolator , two amps, and (4) neon strips. In addition I have Perfect Pass as well.

Two things are happening when the batteries are low: The PP will reset itself when I turn on the neons (Battery #1), and the radio will kick off when I turn it up too loud with thumping (Battery #2). I also know they are low because I throw them on the charger after trips and they show 60%.

So, I plan to get the Alternator rebuilt. The questions I have are:
(1) Should I need to increase the amp output with my current set up?
(2) If I increase the amps, do I need to update any wiring or breakers?

Thanks for your help!

Wired_Right
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=250640576313

Double D
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=250640576313

That thing is BEAUTIFUL!! But I think a bit more than I need.... :confused:

deminimis
08-01-2012, 06:58 PM
These guys might be more inline with what you are thinking. http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-7766-indmar.aspx

Double D
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Guys, I am not planning on buying new. I plan to rebuild what I have.

The questions relate to: should I increase the amps, and if I have to change anything else in the boat if I do that.

Thanks for the help.

timvan
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
the case on your 50a alt isnt big enough to get any more power out of it.
you need a larger alt, period.
I have them custom made, by hand in the USA look in the classifieds

BNIROOSTER
08-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I would upgrade the wire from the alternator to the starter/battery to at least 4ga.

Double D
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys! The company that I was planning to have rebuild it said they could increase the amps a bit as long as they could get a particular part. The actual increase is unknown until I take it in.

the case on your 50a alt isnt big enough to get any more power out of it.
you need a larger alt, period.
I have them custom made, by hand in the USA look in the classifieds

I'll look.

I would upgrade the wire from the alternator to the starter/battery to at least 4ga.

I have 4ga wire already. Its what I installed when I put in the second battery.

sp00ky
07-13-2013, 02:09 AM

Can you bypass the the breaker this seems to be the only way to get a 4 gauge cable on.

JimN
07-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Can you bypass the the breaker this seems to be the only way to get a 4 gauge cable on.

Bypass the breaker? Really? Would you do that in your home? A boat can burn down to the waterline just as easily as a house can burn to the ground. Why not just bypass all of the safety measures?

JimN
07-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Need a little insight here.

I have never really thought my alternator was putting out its full capabilities (50 Amps) but I have recently added a second battery with an automatic switch/isolator , two amps, and (4) neon strips. In addition I have Perfect Pass as well.

Two things are happening when the batteries are low: The PP will reset itself when I turn on the neons (Battery #1), and the radio will kick off when I turn it up too loud with thumping (Battery #2). I also know they are low because I throw them on the charger after trips and they show 60%.

So, I plan to get the Alternator rebuilt. The questions I have are:
(1) Should I need to increase the amp output with my current set up?
(2) If I increase the amps, do I need to update any wiring or breakers?

Thanks for your help!

What year of boat? The alternator's case style determines how much it can be upgraded. Yes, you will need to increase the gauge of the charging wire, but 4 ga is larger than you'll need unless the charging current is more than about 100A. Most MC have had up to 8ga, which is good up to about 60A.

How old is your main battery? If it has been totally discharged several times, replace it and see if this problem still exists. Does the stereo connect to the main battery, or the new one? What gauge cable is used for the amps' power connections? Did you use a distribution block? Where are the amps grounded- directly to the battery, or to the block?

skitilldark
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Fortunately I have a great alternator shop locally and they built me a brushless 95 amp unit that did the trick.