PDA

View Full Version : strut removal 2007 X-star

x3lifestyle
07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
after upgrading my prop i started to hear some vibrations that ultimately ended up being bad bushings. my question is how in the would should i go about breaking this sealer off the strut? iv removed all 8 bolts but this thing won't budge. i fear damaging the hull or driveshaft trying to beat it off. any ideas or am i being too cautious?

FrankSchwab
08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Why do you want to remove the strut? You should be able to remove the bushings on the boat...

Everyone seems to have problems with this. There's a lot of surface area, so the sealant grabs quite strongly. If you search, you'll find a lot of people's experience with this (I think there were at least three threads going in parallel a month or two ago).

/frank

x3lifestyle
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
the dealer suggested i remove the strut to press the bushings in straight. you aren't kidding that 3m 5200 is some serious glue. i was successful in removing the strut after heating it with a heat gun and smacking it with a mallet. it was not my first choice but that is what the dealer suggested.

FrankSchwab
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't think the factory uses 5200 - I think they use standard silicone sealer.

5200 has the problem that it takes a week or more to cure, and isn't intended to be removed - pulling it off like you did is likely to take chunks of gelcoat with it.