PDA

View Full Version : MCX won't start after hitting log

Vern Swieringa
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Hit a large log at 30mph. Engine quit and will not restart. It cranks and sounds normal, but no spark. Anyone know if MCX has automatic fuel shut off?

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Disconnect engine knock sensor on both sides of block. disconnect battery let it set, then try to start with engine knock sensors disconnected. Hook up engine diagnostics if all else fails.

what year?

93Prostar190
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Engine breaker tripped?

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
also check and make sure your lanyard is completely connected

Vern Swieringa
08-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Where is the engine breaker located?

Vern Swieringa
08-01-2012, 07:35 AM
It is a 2006 245vrs with a MCX.

Vern Swieringa
08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Problem solved! Had a friend stop over tonight with some test equipment. He traced the problem to a fuse located in a harness right in front of the engine. So if you hit something big with your prop, the fuse blows cutting off spark to the engine, preventing further damage to engine and drive train. Great engineering, however, it would have been nice to know about these fuse, so that I could have had a spare, saving a tow in.

snork
08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
good to know

mikeg205
08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
How's the rest of the drive train...everything ok?

FrankSchwab
08-02-2012, 12:27 AM
With a Maristar, you don't have any skegs under the boat (at least, mine doesn't), so the log probably hit the propshaft/strut/prop. I'm agreeing with mgorczak1 - do a good inspection on the prop. Check to see that the strut isn't bent.

Search for "bent strut", there were a number of threads on similar accidents over the last couple of months.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Problem solved! Had a friend stop over tonight with some test equipment. He traced the problem to a fuse located in a harness right in front of the engine. So if you hit something big with your prop, the fuse blows cutting off spark to the engine, preventing further damage to engine and drive train. Great engineering, however, it would have been nice to know about these fuse, so that I could have had a spare, saving a tow in.

A fuse that fails due to change in inertia? JimN...........what's the story on this???

Vern Swieringa
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Just one of the fins of the prop was bent. I always carry a spare, so the prop has been replaced. When I spin the prop, the shaft appears to be perfectly true. I have not been on the water, since I replaced the fuse and prop. Hoping for no vibration!!!

Thrall
08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I think the blown fuse was just some sort of coincidence or result of the hit, but not designed as such.
Glad you found the problem though and that you didn't wreck the underwater gear on the boat.

FrankSchwab
08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I can't imagine what that fuse controls, such that hitting something would cause it to blow. Something had to create a large current to blow the fuse - which probably means that something shorted out when the hit occurred. I'd track the wire to figure out what it controls, and figure out how a hit could have caused a short.

Vern Swieringa
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Before replacing the fuse, there was no spark at the coil. After replacing the fuse there was. So what am I to conclude? That fuse must supply power to the coil and was blown immediately after hitting the log. I don't know what else there is to check. The boat runs fine now!