PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix play in steering wheel?

John B
08-29-2005, 01:54 PM
I have a lot of play in my steering wheel. I have try to tighten it before in my old boat (a 94 190) and could not get the play out.I have not pulled the steering wheel off and tried.
It seem like all of these boat get play in the steering wheels with age.
Is there a bushing that wears out that can be replace? :confused:
If I pull the steering wheel can I get to something that will tighten it up? :confused:
Has anybody fixed the slop in their steering wheel? :confused:

PeteS
08-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I have a lot of play in my steering wheel. I have try to tighten it before in my old boat (a 94 190) and could not get the play out.I have not pulled the steering wheel off and tried.
It seem like all of these boat get play in the steering wheels with age.
Is there a bushing that wears out that can be replace? :confused:
If I pull the steering wheel can I get to something that will tighten it up? :confused:
Has anybody fixed the slop in their steering wheel? :confused:
Have you tried tightening the linkage between the rudder and the steering cable on this one, John? Also, have you greased it lately? Sometimes filling up the fittings will take some of the play out I've heard. Hope this helps!

PeteS
08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
By the way, in your photo, looks to be offside, ball 2 or 4, I'm doing what it looks to be what you're doing. Breaking at the waist and falling a decent amount (especially when shortening the line) -- I bet it looks similiar to your shot.

Sorry if it was a good turn, and I just completely insulted you.

Anyway, if not, have your figured out a trick to prevent it from happening? I'm just looking for a thought to keep in mind while gliding so I stop it from happening. Sorry for the thread jack also.

John B
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Is there a grease fitting at the steering wheel? :confused:

PeteS
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Is there a grease fitting at the steering wheel? :confused:
I'm curious if the play is at the wheel itself, or coming from slop in the linkage at the rudder. If it's at the wheel, I can't help very much, but I'd fill the grease fittings on the linkage near the rudder and snug down the linkage bolts regardless.

John B
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
By the way, in your photo, looks to be offside, ball 2 or 4, I'm doing what it looks to be what you're doing. Breaking at the waist and falling a decent amount (especially when shortening the line) -- I bet it looks similiar to your shot.

Sorry if it was a good turn, and I just completely insulted you.

Anyway, if not, have your figured out a trick to prevent it from happening? I'm just looking for a thought to keep in mind while gliding so I stop it from happening. Sorry for the thread jack also.

I put my wing back on.
I was breaking at the waist trying to slow the ski down by tyring to get the tip of the ski to engage.
It is much better.

John B
08-29-2005, 02:16 PM
It is at the wheel.

PeteS
08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I put my wing back on.
I was breaking at the waist trying to slow the ski down by tyring to get the tip of the ski to engage.
It is much better.
I wish that was my problem. I have the wing on at 9 degrees, on my Goode 9600, so the skis is getting resistence and slowing. I think I'm getting impatient and trying to rush and start my turn by trying to engage my tip however I can - simliar to what you said. Maybe I just need to be more patient, let it come around, and make it up in my pull.

John B
08-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Got it! pull the steering wheel and there are two big screws that were loose. :D

PeteS
08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Got it! pull the steering wheel and there are two big screws that were loose. :D
Great news!

Now help me with my off-side turn. :) Just kidding, that is really good news. Mine was sloppy at the linkage, and it is annoying. I love Big Bear by the way, must be a great place to live.