PDA

View Full Version : 2011 X2 wake surfing

cmike
07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
So I've been searching for the right surfing set up for my 2011 X2. I partially fill the middle tank and fully fill the port tank. With just 3 people in the boat and surfing on a Ronix Koal, I can let go of the rope and surf the wake but the sweet spot is not very big. And if I try and use any other board.. it doesn't work for me. Any suggestions on how I can improve the set up outside of fat sacks and inviting a bunch of 200+lb buddies ride with me every time?

BrooksfamX2
07-31-2012, 07:53 PM
On our 07 X2 we fill all stock ballast and have added a 455lb bag on the surf (port) side and get a good wake, but its a fairly short pocket. A couple extra adults help also. I need to lengthen the wake by adding weight to the bow. Can surf any board though.

tmacx2
07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
I've been experimenting with my 2011 X2 also. The best wake so far has been the following setup: right surf tab down, middle and port tanks filled (about 650#), 455# piggyback sac in rear port compartment. 370# tube sac in storage area on port side. I also use two 750 bags and fill them with approx. 400# each. One on the seat in port corner and one on the floor in the bow. So I'm running about 2275# total. Good height on it and the most push I've been able to come up with. I may fill the bag in the bow to 750 next time to try and lengthen the wave a bit more. Tried using the attitude plate but it just killed the wave. Wakemakers.com has a configuration they recommend for surfing and mine is very close to that. Once I'm done experimenting I may look into getting a custom sac and putting everything under the seats with automated pumps. A lot of time we have 3 people total and I can stay back there a long time.

Brian B
08-02-2012, 01:31 AM
^ Pics or video please!

tmacx2
08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Will try and get some pics next week and get them posted.

Fab
08-03-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm close to your setup with my 08' X2, instead of two separate sacs in the portside storages, I decided to go big and put an enzo sac down there, and guess what, it fits perfect, 1400lbs if i'm right !

Another 400lbs on the port seat and kgb+front sac filled...

Will post some pics...The wakemakers or waterkis setup is cool but those 400lbs are just small for the rear storage you can definitely go way bigger !

bturner2
08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Wow tons of weight there guys. I have an 07 X2. We fill the KGB and the port side tanks then add a 450 in the port side. We use the same set up on the right side for goofy set up. At 210 I have no problems on a Blue Lake with just my daughter and nephew (probably 280 lbs together) in the boat. One thing that we've found that really effects the wake is depth, as in the deeper the water the better the surf wake. Anything under 10' and we get no wake to surf to speak of. On our lake this limits the surf area to the main portion of the lake.

ttu
08-03-2012, 07:46 AM
any idea how to clean up where my teak platform cuts into the wave to much. i am currently running with just two people, port full along with flyhigh 400 lbs overflow. then 400 lb bag in the ice chest area and a 1000 lb "L" surf sac filled about 3/4 along with a 400 lb bag in the bow. wake is big but again the platform cuts and does not allow it to be super clean.

pic showing the wake. girlfriend riding:D oh a 07 x2

dfmaus
08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
I'd make a smaller platform, just for surfing, or simply remove the existing one. I recall seeing a couple of threads on here about just that.

any idea how to clean up where my teak platform cuts into the wave to much. i am currently running with just two people, port full along with flyhigh 400 lbs overflow. then 400 lb bag in the ice chest area and a 1000 lb "L" surf sac filled about 3/4 along with a 400 lb bag in the bow. wake is big but again the platform cuts and does not allow it to be super clean.

pic showing the wake. girlfriend riding:D oh a 07 x2

bcd
08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Going back to cmike's original question, the only other thing you could try is to completely fill your front ballast. That would get you a little smaller wave with more push. If you don't have many people in the boat, you can cheat when driving and sit on the passenger side and reach over to steer. You need to get the boat weighted as much on the surf side as possible.

I'm far from a surfing expert and haven't spent much time tuning my wave, but here's a picture of my 12 X-2. I've got port and front ballast full. The 455 pound rear port piggy back is full. I also have a V drive sac under each seat in front (the 2012 has support ribs running all the way up the front, so the single X-2 bow sac no longer works). The V drive sacs only fill up about halfway, so they add 400 lbs total to the bow. I also have the 1000 lb bow triangle sac on the seats. There's about 5 people in the boat. I'm on a river, so I set zero off at 10 mph going up and 11.2 going down.

The first picture is the set up mentioned above. For the second picture, we had a Natique ski boat running along side, slightly ahead of us, trying a wakesurf spine. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was a huge wave with tons of push. You couldn't fall out the back. Once you got to the spine (it's pretty washed out), it would just shove you back forward. I wiped out on a 360 and got rag dolled under water. It tossed me around like an ocean wave.

bcd
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Correction to my first statement - completely filling your front ballast will give you a slightly shorter wave with a longer pocket.

ttu
08-03-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd make a smaller platform, just for surfing, or simply remove the existing one. I recall seeing a couple of threads on here about just that.

agree. i am looking to build a extra "surf" teak platform this fall, just trying to find some brackets for a good price.

tmacx2
08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm close to your setup with my 08' X2, instead of two separate sacs in the portside storages, I decided to go big and put an enzo sac down there, and guess what, it fits perfect, 1400lbs if i'm right !

Another 400lbs on the port seat and kgb+front sac filled...

Will post some pics...The wakemakers or waterkis setup is cool but those 400lbs are just small for the rear storage you can definitely go way bigger !

Sounds like a great setup. I don't know if there is a difference in the size of the rear compartments between an '08 and '11. Mine has sort of a shelf in it and I can barely close the compartment when the 455 is full. I can't imagine getting anything bigger in there. Would like to see some pics of your setup and wave. Do you have your enzo plumbed in or are you using a tsunami pump?

Fab
08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Well those X2 sacs (specs are dimensions: 32 x 18 x 20 weight: 455 lbs. / 206 kg) are filling like 50-60% of the space in my 08' X2 so that's why i snagged a enzo sac...Couldn't take pics today but will ASAP

My enzo is plumbed (so was the stock X2 sac) but it's so big I have to fill it with the tsunami at the same time to complete ;)

specs of the enzo sac...body- 30 x 25 x 26 arm- 72 x 25 x 12 weight: 1450 lbs. / 658 kg.

really fits perfect in rear storage and portside seat !

tmacx2
08-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Well those X2 sacs (specs are dimensions: 32 x 18 x 20 weight: 455 lbs. / 206 kg) are filling like 50-60% of the space in my 08' X2 so that's why i snagged a enzo sac...Couldn't take pics today but will ASAP

My enzo is plumbed (so was the stock X2 sac) but it's so big I have to fill it with the tsunami at the same time to complete ;)

specs of the enzo sac...body- 30 x 25 x 26 arm- 72 x 25 x 12 weight: 1450 lbs. / 658 kg.

really fits perfect in rear storage and portside seat !

So, the compartments are different. That explains it. In mine there also isn't any room for the arm of the enzo sac to come out of the rear compartment. I talked to someone on my lake that has an '09 or '10 X2 who has a custom sac like I was talking about. When I am done playing around with different weight configurations I think I'm going to get the custom sac and plumb it in, but leave an adaptor for a tsunami also. Thanks for the idea.

tmacx2
08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Haven't been able to get pics with all the weight I've been using but this is with right surf tab down. kgb and port tank filled -650#-, X2 sac -455#, 250# surfside, 250# bow. Total 1605. Will post pics of using 2275# when work and weather cooperate.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00125.jpg

BrooksfamX2
08-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I experimented with the wake plate position last weekend and found with my current set up (posted earlier) and 4 adults in the boat, 50% down lengthens the pocket a bit and there is still plenty of push. 100% down the pocket gets a bit longer yet, but you need to work it a little, but still very surfable....

Fab
08-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Damn that's a clean wake...Almost same weight setup but no tabs on my 08' X2,and i'm VERY far from a clean wake like you, what is your speed ?!

tmacx2
08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Damn that's a clean wake...Almost same weight setup but no tabs on my 08' X2,and i'm VERY far from a clean wake like you, what is your speed ?!

9.6 mph. In the 2300# range I think I may have to bump it up a bit to keep it that clean. It was also a pretty calm day with very few other boats so that really helps in keeping the wake clean.

Fab
08-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, we mostly ride in smooth water and it's not as clean as yours, I can't get such a clear wake right at the beginning of the platform as it cuts in the wake, wake is shorter and washy at the top...really drives me mad sometimes when I try to recover and that damn wake is washing into my feet and slowing me to death !! :-)

ttu
08-13-2012, 10:54 AM
okay help with wake. big but not clean. here is what i am running. port ballast along with fly high x2 ballast bag full (roughly 600 lbs). 1000 lb "L" shaped surf bag on top of seats. 400 lbs bag where ice chest is. kgb full along with 280 lbs of pop products under port front seat and 400 lb bag on top of front port seat. boat is a 07 x2 without attitude plate.

appears to me by looking that the teak platform is tearing into the wake. some have said they get a clean wake without modifying the platform. pic from yesterday of girlfriend.

JulioX2
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
That's alot of weight you got going, which should help. What's your speed? I run alot less weight than that and I clean a big clean wake. My platform is submerge about 5", but it doesn't really interfere.

ttu
08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
i pull her at 10.3 and i ride at 10.9 and it won't clear up at either of those speeds. thanks for the input.

ttu
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
any ideas?

Hecker
08-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I think a wake plate really helps clean up the wake.

tmacx2
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
any ideas?

Wow. I thought I was running a lot of weight. I have a fiberglass platform and surf tabs so I'm not sure how much of an affect that has on how clean the wake is. I saw someone asked about your speed so I assume you have tried speeding up or slowing down. I run around 9.6 mph but I also see some people run as fast as 12 mph. I like to spread out my bow weight more evenly also. I know that makes the wave longer but (I may be wrong) I also think getting more surface area deeper may help make it cleaner. If nothing else works I think I would start over. I started with port, kgb and X2 sac. Then added tube sac partially filled then completely. Then I added partially filled sac on bow floor (400#) then partially filled sac on seat (400#) in port corner. I spent a day on the lake by myself testing it each time I added weight and at different speeds and it beat the hell out of being at work.

ttu
08-14-2012, 06:52 AM
thanks for the ideas. i might run some weight in the rear starboard and see if it helps clean the wake up.

MattsCraft
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
You have a lot of weight in a lot of places... Adding anything on the opposite side of the surf side will not help. My swim platform does dig into the wake, but the effect is way before the surfable or sweet spot of the wake. For the X2, here is what I run and the wake is great.

Port or Starboard (depending on surf side) - Stock plus 400# overflow full

KGB - Full

If we have enough people 2- 4 (surf side) add 350# in the walkway - This will lengthen the wake, also if you have 4, put one person in the bow surf side. Sans people, put the 350# on or under seats surf side.

Speed 10.2 to 10.4

ttu
08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
thanks for the help mattscraft. i might just try to put the 400 lb bag i run under the cooler in the front on the floor in the bow. usually it's just two of us a driver and rider.

did your dealer find you a replacement touareg?

MattsCraft
08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Update on my Touareg post.

Here is my wake weighted as I explained.

Fab
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Nice wake mattscraft !!

Got some new inputs on my X2 surf wake (portside) : Port and KGB stock full, enzo sac (1400lbs) wich fills completely rear compartment and under seat to the batteries, and the most important : 400lbs on the seats close to the glove box, and the X2 integrated bow sac (600-700lbs i guess).

I have some hard times dialing the wake, but as matsscraft says, it appears the wake totally screws up if you don't have enought weight to the front...

I was initially putting the 400lbs sac on portside seats in the corner but actually it does make a HUGE difference to move it forward to the glove box, gonna try to put that sac in the compartment next to the amps...

tmacx2
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Finally was able to get a few shots of my wake with my current setup. KGB full - 400#, port full - 250#, X2 sac - 455#, ~400# on seat in port corner, tube sac under observers seat - 370# and ~400# in sac on the floor in the bow. Total 2275#. 2 people on board. 9.6 mph. Also did a few measurements. Not sure if they mean anything. Have an inclinometer app on my phone. Indicated 8 degrees of list. Corner of swim platform closest to the boat, on the port side was 6" under water(obviously at rest). The far edge (on port side) was 5" under water. Tried to get some different angles to get a more realistic idea of the actual wake (was a little windy too). While surfing I noticed water shoots up about 8" or so between port corner and the swim platform (fiberglass) but then shoots across the platform and does not affect the wake at all.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00220.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00221.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00222.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00223.jpg

ttu
08-30-2012, 10:29 PM
nice clean wake. i may try your setup on saturday and see how it goes. do you have a wakeplate?

tmacx2
08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Don't use the wakeplate. Have tried it and it seemed to kill the wake. Forgot to mention I did have the right surf tab down.

jgraham37128
09-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Don't use the wakeplate. Have tried it and it seemed to kill the wake. Forgot to mention I did have the right surf tab down.

This is correct, the wake plate lifts the rear of the boat and ballast and fat sacs are for making the boat push down in the water to make a bigger wake, so you never want to lift the rear of the boat if you want a bigger wake. If you want a smaller wake then lift the rear of the boat with the wake plate.

Kimper
09-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Tmac that is the best X2 wave I have ever seen! Were there any hull changes on X2 between 08 and 2011? I am having a hard time on '08 getting a clean top on the wave and I have tried a bunch of weight all over the place. I do not have surf tabs though...

Actually I am going boat shopping due to this... Wife and I both learned behind X2, but we want a bigger pocket for tricks!

Does that surf tab make a big difference? If its not deployed is wave still as clean on top?

tmacx2
09-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks Kimper. I don't know if there were any hull changes between 08 and 11. Maybe someone will chime in with the answer. As far as the surf tabs go, I use them all the time and have not tried it without them. I'm hoping to get out later this week or next week if the weather cooperates. I'll try it without the tabs and post some pics so we can compare. It would be interesting to hear from others with the surf tabs to see if they have any issues getting a clean wake.

Kell
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
09 X2 no surf tabs but attitude plate. My set up for surfing is full center, full port, 1/4 starboard tanks, then all passengers on port side with a couple kids/adults in bow. Our wave is good but the more weight the better.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

scottsx2
09-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Just picked up my new 12` X2 this weekend and tried various surf setups and found a couple set ups to work depending on the amount of people in the boat, this was all done surfing on the stbrd side. Found the stock setting in the quick list had the port side tab 50% down for surfing on the stbrd side, as soon as I put it down 100% it cleaned the lip of the wake up and it was really nice, no pics but I will be out again weather permitting within the week and try and get some.

Set up with driver, 1 adult, and 2 kids in the boat:
stbrd full, kgb full, 455# in strbrd locker, 750# behind the driver, port side tab 100% down, 9.8mph

Set up with driver, 5 adults, and 2 kids in the boat:
stbrd full, kgb full, 455# in strbrd locker, 2 adults on the stbrd sun pad, everyone else in the boat at the rear and stbrd side , port side tab 100% down, 10.2 mph

tmacx2
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Came across this pic from about 2 months ago of my current setup of 2275#. The board is pretty big, 5'6" red rocket. For a little reference, I'm 5'10". I know sometimes the camera angle can make the wave look bigger or smaller but this is a pretty good representation.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/wakesurf.jpg

tmacx2
09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Pic with and without surf tab. Running my usual 2275# at 9.6 mph. First pic with surf tab down.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00243.jpg
Second pic without surf tab.http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/tmac600/DSC00245.jpg
In this case, looks like the surf tab makes a difference. The top of the wake in the second pic is def. washy and first pic with the surf tab is clean.

ttu
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
2nd picture looks much more like my wake since i don't have surf tabs or wakeplate.

TheWoons
09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Much cleaner in the first pic with the surf tab down. A touch more weight and a hair more speed might help.

scottsx2
09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
tmac, how far forward in the bow are you putting your weight, I just got a 370# tube sac and put it in the walk way from about the drivers seat forward, doesn't quite make it right to the front of the floor area though. I am running the same weight as you everywhere else but not getting a decent length to my pocket like you. I am wondering if I should move this forward or just buy a new 400# sac and i can get the weight even more to the bow.

jgraham37128
09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Here's mine, no surftabs.

tmacx2
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
tmac, how far forward in the bow are you putting your weight, I just got a 370# tube sac and put it in the walk way from about the drivers seat forward, doesn't quite make it right to the front of the floor area though. I am running the same weight as you everywhere else but not getting a decent length to my pocket like you. I am wondering if I should move this forward or just buy a new 400# sac and i can get the weight even more to the bow.

I put the sac on the floor as far forward in the bow as it will go. I would just move it as far forward as you can and see how that works. I'm actually using a 750# bag, which is 50 inches long, and filling it for 2.5 to 3 min. which should give me 375-450#. (Tsunami pumps 150 lbs/min). The tube sac is 62 inches long so it really shouldn't make much of a difference. I think I have a pretty decent wake but I have to say that sometimes pics are a little deceiving though and can make wakes appear a little longer or taller than they appear in person. That has been my experience anyway. Take a few pics and compare your pics to what you are seeing when you're on the boat.

Kimper
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Tmac, great pictures showing the difference with surf tabs! Your shot with no tabs looks very similar to my very heavily weighted no tab '08 X2.
I am going to demo an X30 soon and going to get behind a bunch of different boats at Wake9's polarbear event. I'm pretty sure my X2 pocket is very short compared to other boats... I'll report back after I get behind those different boats!

tmacx2
09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Would like to hear how you think our X2 waves compare to other boats.

scottsx2
09-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Last session of the season was today, thought i would post a pic or two. Set up as follows 9.4 mph, stbrd full, kgb full, 455 in the rear locker, 750 on the seat behind the driver, 370 on the floor as far to the bow as possible, port surf tab 100%, only a driver in the boat, 2012 X2.

tmacx2
09-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks good. How did it surf?

scottsx2
09-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Not bad, was better last weekend with a couple more people in the boat. I think it's time for a new board, starting to get onto it pretty good so an upgrade will be needed for next season. Looking for something skim style, I'm 180lbs, 6' 3", if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

tmacx2
09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't know anything about skim boards. I have an inland surfer red rocket that I got last year. That worked out well since I was only using stock ballast then and still was able to surf it. TheWoons is hooking me up with a soulcraft fangtail. Looking forward to getting it, just hope the weather holds out for me to use it a couple of times.