PDA

View Full Version : recommend a wakeboard

occva
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I am a slalom skier. After a couple sets in the early morning I become the designated driver. Wife and kids wakeboard, kneeboard and tube. I am tired of sitting on my arse all day.

A friend recommended the Ronix vault. Let me know what you think. This will be my first time on a wakeboard. 6'-0" and 190 lbs.

Thanks

mzimme
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
I just bought a 2011 vault... love it as a beginner. I'm able to carve well, and am starting to attempt w2w's (although far from achieving it). It's definitely not a hard board to ride. I'm 6' 220lbs, and went with a shorter 139cm board, and don't feel like I'm plowing at all at around 21mph

Oh... you could also jump on that kneeboard ;)

And if you haven't seen... evo.com has a great deal on the vault with bindings at the moment:

http://www.evo.com/mashups/ronix-vault-wakeboard-divide-bindings-2012.aspx

occva
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I have been looking at that evo deal. Just might pull the trigger tonight.

My old knees dont fold up that much anymore. Have done it a couple times to show my girls how to do 360's.

mzimme
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
I have been looking at that evo deal. Just might pull the trigger tonight.

My old knees dont fold up that much anymore. Have done it a couple times to show my girls how to do 360's.

I've also heard the Hyperlite State is a good beginner board. It has the longer fins toeside to help with toe side carving as well. Might look into that, it's quite a bit cheaper than the ronix.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/hyperlite-state-wakeboard-remix-bindings-2011.aspx

kgrove
07-31-2012, 04:50 PM
The Vault and State are similar boards, just different brands. Both have accentuated toe side fins to make toe side edges a little easier plus a slightly larger center fin for extra tracking. Both are great boards to start on and will last well into you're intermediate stages. Since you can't go wrong with either, it may just come down to price. At your size I might recommend a 142-144.

If you know for sure this board is just for you, I'd recommend close toed bindings, but if this wil be shared it may be better to stay with open toes as they accommodate a wider range of shoe sizes. The Remix and Divide are both good open toed choices - affordable and would match nicely with the State or Vault boards. Evo's outlet site is an awesome source.

russlars
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
X2 on the Hyperlite State. Very stable and easy board to ride.

Lumbergh
07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I bought a CWB with bindings this off season, 142 size.

Similar in size to you. Works well for my lack of skill, but get up and cruise.

Got it from evo as well. Love those guys.

itch2ski
07-31-2012, 06:31 PM
X3 on the Hyperlite State. For the price that is tough to beat. It is a great board designed for beginners/intermediates, but definitely allows room to grow. One of the local girls that competes is doing 360's and inverts on it.

rjracin240
08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Bought a Wally board for everyone and myself to ride (a Body Glove!) when I first got my boat a couple of years ago took a ride on a friends CWB, came to realize what a difference there is in boards!
Last week boaught a CWB Pure 141 with Edge bindings at Academy sports during their summer clearance for $209. Board has been a lot of fun so far and turns great, beginner wake boarder @ 6'2" 210 lbs! Good luck

Jason.H.
08-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I have the hyperlite state with remix bindings and me, my wife, and friend love it. Im clearing wake to wake at 21mph in a 1990 tristar with no ballast. I think im going to take the fins off of it and work on some surface tricks...or probably in my case, faceplants. lol

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Jason once you can hold a good progressive edge you no longer need the center fin.

Double
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I also use the hyperlite state but have the sprint bindings (go with the remix).

occva
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Went to the local board shop. Picked up the Hyperlite State with Remix bindings. They matched evo's price.

I will let you know if I survive my first outing.

XtwentyNot
08-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Slingshot Recoil 146, I stupidly sold mine with my boat and now ride a CWB DB9. Looking for a good deal on one!

stars83stripes
08-02-2012, 06:38 PM
A wee bit late to chime in, but we bought a new Vault 139 with District bindings a few weeks ago. Let us know how you like the State.

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Took the center fins off my hyperlite state and wow, I like it even better now! Toe side feels a little more uncomfortable but overall I enjoy it even more.

occva
08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Got out on the board this weekend. Got up on the second try. First thing i discovered was it felt more comfortable left foot forward. I ski right foot forward, go figure. Was able to cross wakes and learn to switch outside the wakes. Last thing i learned is, like trick sking, slow falls hurt. I will take a footin fall anyday over a slow faceplant.