PDA

View Full Version : Foiling - Holy Crap is it Fun

PendO
08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Well, I learned to foil this weekend. Now I can ride straight, cross the wakes, and even managed to handle some boat waves. Getting up was tougher than I thought, but using a deep V handle worked well ... just took a while to figure out how long you had to stay back while getting up (I kept putting the tip under) ... you guys/gals have one super fun sport ... pretty soon they will be taking the water level down on the Pend Oreille for winter, so I suppose we will get out to Long Lake, Liberty, and CDA (on the weekends) ... I watched that video of Ben Ferney doing his tricks, I had no idea what could be done on one of those things ... anyway, for anyone who has never tried the sport I highly reccomend it for the Fun factor.

Casey

bigmac
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, I learned to foil this weekend. Now I can ride straight, cross the wakes, and even managed to handle some boat waves. Getting up was tougher than I thought, but using a deep V handle worked well ... just took a while to figure out how long you had to stay back while getting up (I kept putting the tip under) ... you guys/gals have one super fun sport ... pretty soon they will be taking the water level down on the Pend Oreille for winter, so I suppose we will get out to Long Lake, Liberty, and CDA (on the weekends) ... I watched that video of Ben Ferney doing his tricks, I had no idea what could be done on one of those things ... anyway, for anyone who has never tried the sport I highly reccomend it for the Fun factor.

Casey

I'm in complete agreement. I just started it about a month ago. The learning curve is steep but short, at least to the point where I can get up every time and cross both wakes quickly, manage line slack, and ride out in the flats for as long as I want. I'm just at the point where I'm starting some in-line straight jumps and trying to stay on-axis. I'm currently at about 19 mph and have been bumping the speed every so often. I have the beginner and advanced wedges (Stealth) about 3/8 inch back on the straight rear foil and will be switching to the radial foil pretty soon. It is indeed a blast. There are no other foilers on our lake, nor are there any around here that I know of. As we're tooling on down the lake, I get people following me, people pointing and waving from docks and anchored boats. People come up to me all the time on the street and ask me what kind of wakeboard that is that they see me riding around the lake. It's pretty funny.

Foiler
08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Congratulations PendOreilleSkier!!! You did very well to master what you did over the weekend. Warning! this sport is very addicting whether your just learning to fly, jump, or going for your first invert.

AirJunky
08-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Right on, guys. Glad to hear it!

I was just reading in one of the other threads that someone was riding a kneeboard instead of slalom skiing to save a hurt shoulder. I can't even begin to tell everyone enough times to get on a foil. ESPECIALLY when your nursing a bad shoulder, knee or ankle. The amount of drag on the foil is 10 times less than anything else behind the boat! And the sense of flying above all the chop is well worth the price of admission. I can only imagine the huge grin on your faces as you learned all this!

Time for me to get out to the Pend O'Reille river for a tug, Casey. I'll have a couple of free weekends to make it happen.

bigmac
08-29-2005, 05:25 PM

I was just reading in one of the other threads that someone was riding a kneeboard instead of slalom skiing to save a hurt shoulder. I can't even begin to tell everyone enough times to get on a foil. ESPECIALLY when your nursing a bad shoulder, knee or ankle. The amount of drag on the foil is 10 times less than anything else behind the boat! And the sense of flying above all the chop is well worth the price of admission. I can only imagine the huge grin on your faces as you learned all this!

Time for me to get out to the Pend O'Reille river for a tug, Casey. I'll have a couple of free weekends to make it happen.

So far, my best student (what a laughable concept) is a friend that tore his hamstring skiing. I convinced him that foiling wouldn't hurt it and he went for it just to get on the water. Now, I doubt he'll ever get on that slalom ski again.

My only problem is that our Thursday morning water skiing group only has a limited amount of time to ski. It get ski-able about 6:10 AM, and we all have to be at work by 7:30. When there's four of us, foiling tends to unbalance the time alottments somewhat.

>

AirJunky
08-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Hehehe, see, your already seeing the way it is, Big Mac. Your morning skiing buddies won't let you take the foil because you'd take the entire morning up riding it!!
Honestly, if you do no tricks at all, you can ride for a looong time. But when you start jumping, skidding, getting upside down, it starts to drain you a bit quicker. I had a ride on the Columbia this Saturday that was close to an hour long. But I could only do my inverts for about 30 min. then I just relaxed & skied back & forth. Hoping to have some pics of the trip tonite. Then had some people recognize us later & listened to how amazed they are about "that crazy flippy twisty thing"!

SkySkiSpokane
08-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Count me in too!! The Columbia was a blast. Some of us have a heavier hangover than others though. :(

PendO
08-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Hehehe, see, your already seeing the way it is, Big Mac. Your morning skiing buddies won't let you take the foil because you'd take the entire morning up riding it!!
Honestly, if you do no tricks at all, you can ride for a looong time. But when you start jumping, skidding, getting upside down, it starts to drain you a bit quicker. I had a ride on the Columbia this Saturday that was close to an hour long. But I could only do my inverts for about 30 min. then I just relaxed & skied back & forth. Hoping to have some pics of the trip tonite. Then had some people recognize us later & listened to how amazed they are about "that crazy flippy twisty thing"!

So what is the time frame on getting upside down?

Steer with your feet?

Keep your knees together tight, or a little separated?

Thanks fellas, Casey

Foiler
08-30-2005, 03:06 AM

<Steer with your feet?>

<Keep your knees together tight, or a little separated?>

Thanks fellas, Casey

<Upside down>
I couldn't wait so without a clue I started trying gainers almost right away after I could control the foil. Good thing about the gainer they don't hurt(usually) two of my daughters are trying them. I managed to ride away some gainers and one wake roll my first summer but I probably rushed it a bit.

<Steering>
Not really your feet, some tell you to steer with your knees...almost like turning on a bike without turning the handlebars.

<Knees>
Separated a less than shoulder width. Try to relax when you ride and
you'll be able to feel what the foil is doing instead of fighting it.

If you can get together with these guys I would highly recommend it.

AirJunky
08-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Took me a couple of years to get one invert. Some guys get it in less time. Just depends on how good you take to it. I heard Dave Reinhart did one his first day...... but then the Dawg could do a backroll on a garbage can lid!

Start about 5' out of the wake, start high on the foil, dip down & kiss the board to the water, lean back, handle down on your knees, look up & around your inside (to the wake) shoulder & start looking for the boat!

Also a good idea to know how to land a jump too! :eek:

bigmac
08-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Steer with your feet?

Keep your knees together tight, or a little separated?

Thanks fellas, Casey

I steer with my hips, but I vividly remember pushing with my feet in the early stages of controlling the foil. Steering with the knees too early can tend to result in overcontrolling and I think that steering with the feet is a more subtle variation of steering with the knees, which in turn is a more subtle variation of steering with the hips.

My straight-ahead jumps - I've been dipping by pushing down with my feet with the handle in mid-position, then once I hit the water, I bring the handle down to my lap and do a sort of abdominal "crunch" bringing my knees up. First time I did that, the results were kind of shocking.

PendO
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies ... this is going to be so much fun! Nice pic junky ... so I should wear a helmet before I start jumping I suppose, my brother has a helmet for wakeboarding, guess that will work;)

AirJunky
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Helmets are a good thing, especially if you want to bust lose & keep your days job. Steer with your knees or feet, whichever makes good sense to you. Just remember that SMALL movements do a LOT on a foil. And you balance this thing like riding a bike, by steering into a fall.

Also get some Cinch Foot Stays & the ankle pads.... a MUCH better heel strap for your bindings.
http://www.cinchmax.com
Be patient with the Cinchman though as he's in Louisiana underwater about now.

It's looking like we're going to spend this Sat. on Diamond with some friends, then we'll head your direction Sun. morning. Probably hook up with you all that afternoon sometime.

bigmac
08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies ... this is going to be so much fun! Nice pic junky ... so I should wear a helmet before I start jumping I suppose, my brother has a helmet for wakeboarding, guess that will work;)

I've been wearing a helmet when I do any jumping. My biggest fear is coming loose from the foil and having it come around and hit my head. I did add a CinchMax belt and Cinch footstays, which certainly do add a level of security, I think. Coming loose from the ski appears to me to be the most dangerous aspect of jumping. Next would be a face plant, which hasn't happened to me yet. I'm not sure if I'll get to dismount gainers yet this season. I want to get more comfortable crossing flat-to-flat while keeping control of my height on the foil, as well as getting my speed up to around 21-22. I'm still having fun while focusing on getting the fundamentals down well, so I don't feel compelled to force my progress. I'd like to minimize the chance of off-axis mishaps. I suspect that switching to the advanced rear wing will be a whole new ballgame.

Wes
08-30-2005, 07:47 PM
My 11 year old is addicted to foiling after his uncle and aunt showed him how to get up. And now just a few days of practise, he took his first jump on Osoyoos Lake. He is keeping his parents broke now...never mind the Sky Ski taking up space in his bedroom. BTW just returned from New Orleans, it is **&# there...

PendO
08-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Sweet ... I think we already have the cinch ankle straps you talk of ... two velocro straps per ankle?? my dad and brother ordered the ski after giving Ferney a pull on CDA ... so he told them what to order (needless to say it is more advanced than any of us needed, but we will "grow" into it). If you are up that way we have a dock you can tie up at ... I am hoping to get my wife to drop a ski this weekend if we get some nice water Sat. evening. We usually get up there as early as we can with a 10mo old and a 2 year old (some rides are better than others;)) I feel pretty secure on the ski (falling) but I imagine you could get some knee to head contact in a bad crash ... I'd just like to learn to fly it first.

Helmets are a good thing, especially if you want to bust lose & keep your days job. Steer with your knees or feet, whichever makes good sense to you. Just remember that SMALL movements do a LOT on a foil. And you balance this thing like riding a bike, by steering into a fall.

Also get some Cinch Foot Stays & the ankle pads.... a MUCH better heel strap for your bindings.
http://www.cinchmax.com
Be patient with the Cinchman though as he's in Louisiana underwater about now.

It's looking like we're going to spend this Sat. on Diamond with some friends, then we'll head your direction Sun. morning. Probably hook up with you all that afternoon sometime.

SkySkiSpokane
08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Nice Job Casey!! Sorry I can't come up with Bill (airjunky) and his wife this weekend. I am stuck at work. :mad:
I am sure because I will be working your weather will rock!! Have fun and don't let Bill talk you into throwing the front flip until he does it first!!! :D

betsy&david Harrison
09-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Friends taught me how to ride the SkySki this past weekend. It was GREAT! I got the manuvers on the inside of the wakes down but as soon as I get outside...well, I had some people laughing pretty hard, including myself!B :D

Foiler
09-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Friends taught me how to ride the SkySki this past weekend. It was GREAT! I got the manuvers on the inside of the wakes down but as soon as I get outside...well, I had some people laughing pretty hard, including myself!B :D

Sounds like you did very well for your first weekend. When you head out in the flats your line tension is less and the foil tends to want to rise.
This can easily be controlled by learning forward more or raising your handle a bit as you cut out.

Good luck and have fun

WakeSeeky
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Have to agree with all, these things are FUN!! My terrific husband let me get one for my birthday. :D Here's a pic from Powell over Labor day weekend of me - falling. We all had a great time on it, but I'm looking forward to meeting up with some folks who know what they're doing so I can hopefully shorten my learing curve a bit.

SkySkiSpokane
09-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Nice Job!!! Welcome to the Addiction!! :woohoo:

There are quite a few riders in the Powell and also the Vegas area. Check out the Yahoo Forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hydrofoil
and the Foilfreaks forum www.foilfreaks.com.

I can only see one problem from your picture, it appears that your shock tower (seat) is on backwards. You really don't want that shock to compress forward since you can slide off the front of the seat on a hard landing. Done it a couple times with the seat on right, it hurts. Not common but I am no small man at 240 pounds. It also changes your center of balance which affects lift. Your ski should look like this...

AirJunky
09-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Andrea,
Good to hear your having fun on your new toy. Especially since the seat is on backwards! :eek:
This is going to place your butt about 4" further back than it would be normally.
So get that seat turned around, join the Hydrofoil List (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil/) where over 1000 other riders are at, including several in NV, and let us know how the ski rides!

Have to agree with all, these things are FUN!! My terrific husband let me get one for my birthday. :D Here's a pic from Powell over Labor day weekend of me - falling. We all had a great time on it, but I'm looking forward to meeting up with some folks who know what they're doing so I can hopefully shorten my learing curve a bit.

WakeSeeky
09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
:o Ya see what happens when you try it on your own? Thanks so much for the info, we obviously have an issue with reading instructions. I bet it'll be more fun when it's set up properly! :D

I did join the yahoo list and saw there was a fly in in Vegas at the end of September.We're planning to be there and looking forward to that very much. I keep hearing there are many foilers in Vegas, but I never seem to see them on the lake. I finally got fed up with looking for someone to beg a ride off of & got one to try. Now I'll try it right & see how that goes. :)

SkySkiSpokane
09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
When you go don't be shy. Everyone in this great group of riders is very receptive to newbies. Find a boat and get some tips. I wish I could go, it should be awesome. :toast:

AirJunky
09-14-2005, 03:41 PM
When you go don't be shy. Everyone in this great group of riders is very receptive to newbies.
He should know..... we corrupted him almost 2 yrs ago & he has only picked up his skinny ski about 5 or 6 times ever since! He even "tainted" his slalom boat with a tower! And he's about to land his 2nd invert! TONITE! :toast:

Leroy
09-14-2005, 03:46 PM
There was a guy riding one on Morse Lake, central Indiana last Thursday morning and he was landing flips. Looks fun!

WakeSeeky
09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous, we won't know anyone and obviously have no idea what we're doing. But so far everyone I've talked to/emailed has been just incredibly nice, and so I'm hopeful that we'll be not-quite-so newbies by the end of the weekend.

After I got out of the water the first time, my husband looked at me and said "You're not going to be riding the wakeboard much anymore, are you." Now I'm imagining how much I'm going to like it when it's set up right. :D

AirJunky
09-14-2005, 04:12 PM
..............and said "You're not going to be riding the wakeboard much anymore, are you." :D

Sold my Shapiro twin tail wakeboard in 1996 & the Mach1 in like 1994. Since then I've only been on a ski or board when someone bets me I can't do it anymore. Easy money.... :cool:

Leroy, the guy in IN, there are a handful of guys on the Hydrofoil List in the area. In fact, their planning another Clinton Lake get together over the Sept 24 - 25 weekend. Let me know if you'd like me to find out who it was & put you two in touch.

WakeSeeky
09-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Easy money.... :cool:

Sweet. I can already tell I'm going to need a way to subsidize this habit. :D

Jerseydave
09-17-2005, 08:42 AM
I looking into buying my first foil.....Skyski.

What model should I be looking at for around $600-900 used?
I found one (1999 SS) for $850. Is this a fair price?
What other features should I look for?
Can't afford one with a shock tower right now, maybe add it later.

bigmac
09-17-2005, 09:27 AM

I've been impressed with the way all of these hydrofoils retain their value. There seem to be darn few "stellar" deals out there. OTOH, if you bite the bullet and buy a lower-level cheaper new one, it appears that you can re-sell it and upgrade when you're ready, and end up spending less in the long run as well as having a better/newer foil to learn on. :twocents:

Foiler
09-17-2005, 09:16 PM

That's a good choice for your first foil. You're talking about a cast aluminum foil with a rock tower. The newer Sky skis are made from Billet which is a lot stonger so they they can make them thinner...less resistance, also they are CNC machined instead of cast aluminum.(better precision)

I'd say 600-750 is a pretty good deal as long as it's in good shape. You should be able to get one cheaper than $850 if you look around. ($850 would be about top dollar I'd think) There's a pretty good flow of sky skis on ebay that'll tell you about what they're going for. Also www.foilfreaks.com forums for sale or wanted column.

I wouldn't worry to much about the shock tower, you shouldn't need it at first if you need it at all. You might do just fine without one even after you start going big. Your back will let you know if you need to upgrade later. Good luck

SkySkiSpokane
10-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Video of the wife learning the gainer at the NW Fly-in clinic!! :)
Love that woman!! :love:
http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437

rodltg2
02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
been looking on ebay every once i awhile to find one to try. i dont want to spend more than 500, since i havent really done it before and dont know if i will like it and how often ill get too do it since i mostly ski on a private lake. if anyone finds a cheap one for sale please pm me. thanks

bigmac
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
been looking on ebay every once i awhile to find one to try. i dont want to spend more than 500, since i havent really done it before and dont know if i will like it and how often ill get too do it since i mostly ski on a private lake. if anyone finds a cheap one for sale please pm me. thanks

If you buy a cheap, old model used, you're likely to lose more of that investment if you don't like it when you go to sell it than if you buy a new one and decide to sell it later. Not to mention the fact that newer foils are easier to learn on, AND the fact that if you do like it, you'll want to buy a newer one anyway. It seems to me.

erkoehler
02-26-2006, 11:44 PM

Slalom wakes behind that BU to big for ya.....now your going to take up foiling :D

rodltg2
02-27-2006, 12:21 AM
yes they are so big

AirJunky
02-27-2006, 01:12 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find a tuned foil for $500. Maybe one of the old powdercoated Air Chairs, possibly one of the first generation Sky Skis. Like Mac said, the newer tuned foils are definitely easier & more fun to ride for new & more experienced riders.

There are a number of foils going up for sale on the Hydrofoil Yahoogroup (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil) as people start buying equipment. I'll keep my eyes open for one in that price range for you.

mitch
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I must be doing something wrong, that thing wore me out trying to get up. :mad:

AirJunky
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Tryin to muscle it, Mitch? ;)
$10 says your wife or daughter can get up on it within the first 10 minutes she tries. Relax. It's a finesse thing & the biggest, strongest guys will not be able to muscle this thing around when they learn to get up.
I have some friends who ride in New Ipswich, NH. who might be able to help you the next time you decide to try it.

bigmac
02-27-2006, 08:37 PM
$10 says your wife or daughter can get up on it within the first 10 minutes she tries. Relax. It's a finesse thing & the biggest, strongest guys will not be able to muscle this thing around when they learn to get up.
I have some friends who ride in New Ipswich, NH. who might be able to help you the next time you decide to try it.

Yes, it's not a brute force kind the thing - much more subtle than skiing. If you try to pull yourself up, you're gonna fall. Teaching myself, it took me several tries to figure out that you just kind of lay back, stare at the back of the boat, and let it pull you up.

mitch
02-28-2006, 07:59 AM

Were you spying on us ;) yes my daughter did get up right away :o and I just wore myself out and said 'that thing bites' I'm never getting on it again ;) Appreciate the offer of your buds in NH, ya ever get out here? Thanks!

Leroy
02-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Sorry Airjunky, just reread the thead and missed this question. Yes, I would like to get in touch. Always good to know another person on the lake. The guy looked pretty good!

Leroy, the guy in IN, there are a handful of guys on the Hydrofoil List in the area. In fact, their planning another Clinton Lake get together over the Sept 24 - 25 weekend. Let me know if you'd like me to find out who it was & put you two in touch.

slalomskifreak
02-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey Leroy, I know a couple of guys here in Indy that can hold their own and always love to have others that foil ride with them. Let me know. South side mostly.

Curt

Foiler
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry Airjunky, just reread the thead and missed this question. Yes, I would like to get in touch. Always good to know another person on the lake. The guy looked pretty good!

I'm in NW Ohio and we ride at Grand Lake St Marry's or Indian Lake.
One of my friends just moved over your your way (I think) Columbus Indiana and bought a house on the water. Let me know if you get over our way.

Leroy
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Columbus has a nice small lake. One of the guys from my office is living there now.

We are looking at some colleges up there between NW Ohio and NE Ind.

If you are ever around Indianapolis call me!

I'm in NW Ohio and we ride at Grand Lake St Marry's or Indian Lake.
One of my friends just moved over your your way (I think) Columbus Indiana and bought a house on the water. Let me know if you get over our way.

milkmania
03-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I found this googling for hydrofoils.....

how'd you like to have five gallons of gas between your legs?!?!?!:eek:

http://www.artschools.com/interviews/cole/hydrofoil.jpg