PDA

View Full Version : Tow boat 2800 miles to Austin???

Cobra Rob
07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
So I live in the Portland area but grew up in Texas. I do a LOT of international traveling ~70%+

Our season here is also short so we try and use the boat as much as possible even if 60% of it is just tie up partying.

Anyway I have a work trip that is likely to come up in Austin the last 2 weeks of september and first week of October. Our season in PNW will be done by the time I get back. I was considering driving and not flying and this way I can bring the boat and then take another 10-12 days vacation at the end of the trip. I am sure Austin/Houston will still be fine to get out though october.

Now I would get my parents and a few friends out atleast a couple of times during the trip for sure but obviously won't have my regular crew or be able to fill the boat with girls like we normally do since I don't know many people in the area. I would be more than willing to take anyone out from here that could show me the area and wants to ride or party....

SO I should be able to get work to pay for the gas since it would be the same/cheaper than flight plus rental for the time. Now do I tow an X45 2800 miles each way (have a new 2012 F250 so should not be too bad minus going across rockies) worst part I see is the trip back.

:confused:

Stx221
07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Did you buy the truck to tow things?
Did you buy the boat to have it sit around and not be on the water?

I asked myself that about 8 weeks ago when contemplating about a 1600 mile trip. Same scenario, work would cover most of the cost of gas and it only cost me about $100 out of pocket to make it all happen. I decided that it was totally worth it and those were the reasons that I bought both the truck and boat.

It's a good thing I made that trek as I had one of the best boating days of the year doing it. I'd say to go for it. 10-12 days on the lakes in Texas, heck yes. There are plenty of people on here from TX, and I am sure some of them would meet up with you.

milkmania
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
google maps shows roughly 2066 miles from Portland to Austin on I-84.... 35 hours one way
Company is paying for fuel... What about hotel during travel?
Are you staying at the parent's house in Austin area?

gatorguy
07-31-2012, 01:55 PM
just towed my ps205 3200 miles round trip for 9 days on powell and 2 day trips. Totally worth it, and I had to pay for all of it myself. If someone else is footing the bill makes it even that much easier.

Cobra Rob
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
google maps shows roughly 2066 miles from Portland to Austin on I-84.... 35 hours one way
Company is paying for fuel... What about hotel during travel?
Are you staying at the parent's house in Austin area?

Ohh you're right 2400 to my parents house in Houston...

Company would pay for fuel plus hotel along the way I am sure..

I would be in a Hotel in Austin which means not staying at the Hilton downtown like I would normally. I would get something out of town closer to where I would be working off Palmer. There is a Hyatt place I think I stayed at several times, plenty of parking if I wanted to leave boat there while I was in town. I COULD leave it in Houston at parents but then no after work trips during the week.

I am leaning towards doing it if just to get my parents out. My dad loves boats and has not been on mine since I bought it. Just a long damn trip lol

milkmania
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Ohh you're right 2400 to my parents house in Houston...

Company would pay for fuel plus hotel along the way I am sure..

I would be in a Hotel in Austin which means not staying at the Hilton downtown like I would normally. I would get something out of town closer to where I would be working off Palmer. There is a Hyatt place I think I stayed at several times, plenty of parking if I wanted to leave boat there while I was in town. I COULD leave it in Houston at parents but then no after work trips during the week.

I am leaning towards doing it if just to get my parents out. My dad loves boats and has not been on mine since I bought it. Just a long damn trip lol

and one you'll never forget......
wish i had the chance!

my parents are gone

Cobra Rob
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
and one you'll never forget......
wish i had the chance!

my parents are gone

Dad's getting up there too.. I think we have the answer......

milkmania
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Dad's getting up there too.. I think we have the answer......

I feel you knew the answer before you created the post.....
but, you just needed our approval:rolleyes:

one bit of advice.....
be sure to post the vacation pics in here!8p

oh and....
get your dad a Captain's Hat!
anywhere from $5.00 to $40.00
https://www.google.com/search?q=captain%27s+hat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

he'll never forget it:twocents:

snork
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd need two to three days off after the long trek just to recover from the stress of pull'n a boat that many miles.
As Stx221 stated, theres many TT members in the area you're visiting to advise you on great areas to boat and ski
Oh yeah, don't forget to make frequent stops to check out some awesome lakes to and from, might make the trip a little less stressful

TayMC197
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't stress pulling it but I would pull it if I was you. The season is longer here and think of the memories.. if you come with out it.. I'm up in Dallas north of you and you are welcome to come up here and party with ladies and ski.

rkhodges21
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
I say go for it. You have a good truck that can tow that boat well, so you should have no problems. I assume you have a crew cab (correct me if I'm wrong), but you could sleep in the truck while you are making the trip and that would save you even more money on travel expenses. My duramax burns about .5 gph idling with the AC on so I would bet your powerstroke would burn about the same. For 8 hours of sleep at a rest area or truck stop, that's about 4 gallons. I don't know what fuel costs out there, bgut at $4.50/gall that's a whopping $18 a night. Plus you don't have to worry about people messing with your rig as you are right there.

Anyway you slice it, to be able to spend time with family, I consider it a good investment. Have fun and be safe in your travels.

aquaman
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Late sept + early oct are beautiful on the lakes around Austin.

Cool mornings and warm days.

And few boats because football is in full swing.

gts-20
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
There's no doubt you should pull it to Texas. The memories will last a lifetime. I wish I could have time with my father like that......

The weather in Oct will be nice, and Lake Austin is constant level, so you don't have to worry about low water levels.

We will probably be out on the boat both in Houston and Austin, during that time period. You are welcome to hang with us.

Cobra Rob
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Would have been an easier decision if I was bringing wife/kids etc kinda thing but single so will be doing it by myself.

Not worried about the hotel along the way would only need a couple stops and short time and work would cover it so no biggie. Truck is super crew so that is an option as well since gas will be free..

REALLLLLLLLLY trying to get a Job in Texas as well so might be able to use it as an excuse to get some people out from work there too to network.

There is also the option of leaving the boat there as well since I can get much cheaper winter storage and hope I find a job before next season and don't have to come pick it up...

Sounds like once I get the details on dates I will post and see if anyone wants to meet up..

broncotw
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Lake Austin is one of the most beautiful lakes in Texas if not the U.S. We ski as late as Novemebr here in Texas provided you have a shortie....

Let me know some dates and I may meet you on Lake Austin if you decide to go....

kskonn
07-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Yea Their are a lot of team talkers around that area and a lot of good lakes to hang on depending on what you want to do etc... Lake Austin is a great lake.

jafo9
07-31-2012, 06:21 PM
if they are paying for gas, that takes the biggest negative out of the mix. sounds like a pretty good deal. just bring a few spare tires.

pmkkdx
07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Yep, the water & air temp should still be fine out thru mid/late Oct. barring some odd weather event (or hurricane). There are a number of the area lakes that are constant level or near constant (Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls & Austin) with the two largest (Buchanan & Travis) really suffering from low water levels from the past 2-3 years drought which I would be really hesitant to get on without someone pretty familiar with them all within an hour drive or less. If I can arrange it, I would be glad to show you around most of those lakes or some of the other ones not on the Colorado, like Georgetown and Belton (if they still have water of course). Not sure the wife would be too keen on me being out partying too much :rolleyes:

While in Austin, you could park your boat at my place (about 20 minutes north of Palmer/IH35, outskirts of Georgetown) for the time you would be here (home owners association would frown on long term IF they caught wind of it :cool:). I have about 5 acres at my house with a decent sized gravel parking area with easy access hidden from plain site where I keep a bunch of my trailers & tractors/implements. At least it would be out of site and not sitting in a hotel parking lot …

Likewise, if you opt to not do the haul, I am pretty sure we could round up some TTers already here for outings depending on schedule.

Fast50dad
07-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I feel you knew the answer before you created the post.....
but, you just needed our approval:rolleyes:

one bit of advice.....
be sure to post the vacation pics in here!8p

oh and....
get your dad a Captain's Hat!
anywhere from $5.00 to $40.00
https://www.google.com/search?q=captain%27s+hat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

HE'LL NEVER FORGET IT :twocents:

^^^^^this times two^^^^^

bobx1
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Life is about the journey and not the destination. Screw logic and economics and make some memories!

Cobra Rob
08-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Yep, the water & air temp should still be fine out thru mid/late Oct. barring some odd weather event (or hurricane). There are a number of the area lakes that are constant level or near constant (Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls & Austin) with the two largest (Buchanan & Travis) really suffering from low water levels from the past 2-3 years drought which I would be really hesitant to get on without someone pretty familiar with them all within an hour drive or less. If I can arrange it, I would be glad to show you around most of those lakes or some of the other ones not on the Colorado, like Georgetown and Belton (if they still have water of course). Not sure the wife would be too keen on me being out partying too much :rolleyes:

While in Austin, you could park your boat at my place (about 20 minutes north of Palmer/IH35, outskirts of Georgetown) for the time you would be here (home owners association would frown on long term IF they caught wind of it :cool:). I have about 5 acres at my house with a decent sized gravel parking area with easy access hidden from plain site where I keep a bunch of my trailers & tractors/implements. At least it would be out of site and not sitting in a hotel parking lot …

Likewise, if you opt to not do the haul, I am pretty sure we could round up some TTers already here for outings depending on schedule.

That's awesome.... I know the area a bit.. I grew up in Houston, went to Texas A&M then moved out to bay area, ca right after school for a bit. TRIED to get back to Texas worked in Dallas for about 8 months then got transferred to Main corporate in Portland area.

We used to go camping when I was little almost every summer for 2 weeks at Inks lake miss that. When this all gets worked out I might hit you up to find out what are the better lakes as I am not sure with the drought situation the last couple years.

Sounds like I am going to finish a few audio books and do a bit of driving next month :D

sand2snow22
08-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Have Matt shrink wrap the boat and trailer for the trip down. Tell him the guys from NW Boat Sports said to give you the best deal. If you need help prepping let me know...

Make sure you have the updated metal oil bath caps and not the plastic ones!

http://www.portlandshrinkwrap.com/

pmkkdx
08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
What type of work do you do?

My daughter & son-in-law are both A&M grads and live/work in the Katy/Houston area.

Some on here from this area might feel comfortable on Travis & probably know it well enough to give you a tour/pointers there. I don't frequent it enough to know it that well, especially as low as it is (down ~50 feet). Stay in the center of the channel and you should be okay up on up past the 40 mile marker, maybe farther. I would avoid Buchanan (if there is even a ramp open?) as low as it is since it is not an overly deep lake to begin with. Inks, LBJ, Georgetown and Belton would be my choices with the current levels.

Cobra Rob
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Have Matt shrink wrap the boat and trailer for the trip down. Tell him the guys from NW Boat Sports said to give you the best deal. If you need help prepping let me know...

Make sure you have the updated metal oil bath caps and not the plastic ones!

http://www.portlandshrinkwrap.com/

I have the see through ones? I assume that's the plastic?

I was toying with idea of getting new trailer tires I might have to start doing some research and figure out what my options are.

Cobra Rob
08-01-2012, 12:21 PM
What type of work do you do?

My daughter & son-in-law are both A&M grads and live/work in the Katy/Houston area.

Some on here from this area might feel comfortable on Travis & probably know it well enough to give you a tour/pointers there. I don't frequent it enough to know it that well, especially as low as it is (down ~50 feet). Stay in the center of the channel and you should be okay up on up past the 40 mile marker, maybe farther. I would avoid Buchanan (if there is even a ramp open?) as low as it is since it is not an overly deep lake to begin with. Inks, LBJ, Georgetown and Belton would be my choices with the current levels.

Yeah I think I am going to pass on Travis right now for that reason.

I do global support (technical and project management) for Semi-conductor equipment MFG. We basically make the equipment that makes computer chips. Our customers are Intel, TSMC, Samsung, Toshiba, etc anyone that makes any kind of chips uses our equipment. I spend about 70% of the year traveling almost all in Asia. However, since I want to move back to the Houston area I am trying to get an opportunity in the oil/gas field since the skills and experience should transfer very well and there is a lot more companies in Houston that would apply to.

kskonn
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
If you want You could head to lake placid in Seguin as well, About 45 min to an hour depending on where you are in Austin. It is one of the best wakeboarding lakes around. I live out there and go wakeboarding during the week in the evening a few times per week, if you wanted to head down and jump in the boat typo would be more than welcome.

pmkkdx
08-01-2012, 01:03 PM
oh yeah, Lake Austin too. I forgot that one as I haven't been there in years (too crowded for my liking plus there are too many other lakes closer for me).

kinda surprised you don't spend a lot of time in Austin with all the chip manufacturers here with your line of business!!! My son-in-law works for some oil/gas company in Houston, design engineering (don't recall the name of the Co. since he recently changed jobs). He was with Mustang Engineering (Houston) for the past ~5 years.

Cobra Rob
08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
oh yeah, Lake Austin too. I forgot that one as I haven't been there in years (too crowded for my liking plus there are too many other lakes closer for me).

kinda surprised you don't spend a lot of time in Austin with all the chip manufacturers here with your line of business!!! My son-in-law works for some oil/gas company in Houston, design engineering (don't recall the name of the Co. since he recently changed jobs). He was with Mustang Engineering (Houston) for the past ~5 years.

Honestly, there is not much in the Austin area. Our competitor (Who I used to work for, for many years Applied Materials) used to have a huge MFG facility on 290 on the way out of town towards Houston. They shut that down though..

I will be out there for a project at Samsung which is off Palmer not too far from Dell.

I know exactly where the Mustang Engineering building is off I-10 as well. I really think the biggest stumbling block I have is my current location. Even though I am MORE than willing to move myself and pay for it, most companies don't even want to look at you because of it. I have started uhmm fudging my address on applications and putting my parents address in Houston down so I don't get auto filtered out.

kskonn
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
For what it is worth Applied has fab lines in Austin again. My company does all of their chemical management and they are rocking and rolling these days. I believe they were going to move to china and then it ended up not moving 100 percent.

pmkkdx
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
like kskonn stated, Applied Materials is still in Austin on 290... not sure what all they have going on but a lady I work with husband works there in their engineering department and has for many years.

deminimis
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
From one Oregon Texan to another, I'd say go for it. Then I saw you drive a Ford. Ah heck, just roll the dice and maybe you'll get lucky and wont break down. Then I saw you are an Aggie. Heck son, are you even sure you can find your way to Texas? Ha! Regardless, I'll type slower now. Just mess'n with you. Your 45 would be most pleased with a day (or more) on Canyon Lake (west of San Marcos via ranch road 32). Used to live just down the road from the lake. You'll like it. Wish I was going. Have a great trip.

riptide
08-02-2012, 12:11 AM
I live on Lake Travis. If I were you, I'd stay at Lakeway Resort and launch your boat right there at Lakeway marina.

Although lake has lost some water, If you stay south of the dam area, you are fine. This is one deep lake with typical depths of 180 feet.

Ping me if you do this, I can give you some additional pointers.

Ron

sand2snow22
08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
I have the see through ones? I assume that's the plastic?

I was toying with idea of getting new trailer tires I might have to start doing some research and figure out what my options are.

Both are see through. What year is your boat? Change over was around 2008. Metal ones are aluminum on the sides. Plastic are plastic everywhere, prone to cracking and are IIRC recalled :(

New trailer tires are a must if you have Goodyear Marathons! We've been going to American Tire by Clackamas Town Center as of late. They carry a new 8 ply Carlisle trailer tire that seems pretty rugged and you can inflate to 65 PSI. About $100/tire.

Before you go on your trip we'd be more than happy to go through the boat for you, plug it in to Diacom, etc.

pmkkdx
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I live on Lake Travis. If I were you, I'd stay at Lakeway Resort and launch your boat right there at Lakeway marina.

Although lake has lost some water, If you stay south of the dam area, you are fine. This is one deep lake with typical depths of 180 feet.

Ping me if you do this, I can give you some additional pointers.

Ron

:confused::confused::confused: south of the dam area??? :confused::confused: ... wouldn't south of the dam be Lake Austin???

Cobra Rob
08-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Both are see through. What year is your boat? Change over was around 2008. Metal ones are aluminum on the sides. Plastic are plastic everywhere, prone to cracking and are IIRC recalled :(

New trailer tires are a must if you have Goodyear Marathons! We've been going to American Tire by Clackamas Town Center as of late. They carry a new 8 ply Carlisle trailer tire that seems pretty rugged and you can inflate to 65 PSI. About $100/tire.

Before you go on your trip we'd be more than happy to go through the boat for you, plug it in to Diacom, etc.

It's an 07... I know the wheel part that the hubs recess into is plastic because it's cracked but that is a non-functional part. I would assume from what you are saying they are probably the stock plastic... Haven't had any issues but haven't towed over like 30miles since I bought it though.

The tires are the stock goodyears, I was looking to replace them this year anyway, will get that done before I go anywhere for sure. I have the 14" rims, and tandem trailer. I was considering maybe a new wheel/tire combo. I would not mind the slightest increase in height either (driveway has a slight slope I scrape the hell out of with prop guard every time I move it). I am not sure how it will tow though and what my options are as far as sizes.
Everything else I hope is ok put a new ECU in the end of 2010 season. Just had oil changed at 210 hours. Has been pretty worry free last year and this, though might be worth finding out where the Houston/Austin MC dealer is LOL….

As for the AMAT stuff… They moved most, like 85% of their manufacturing from Austin to Singapore (HUGE tax benefit and some other stuff). Most of the buildings they had there are rented out and only a few things going on there. I called up some friends that still work over there. Not sure I would want to go back to work for them, but anything that got me back to Texas would not be turned down right now.

Never expected this thread to get so big.. Thanks for all of the information! Now I just wish work could figure out the dates so I could do some planning.

nauti-dreamer
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Pretty sure those reading/posting on this thread are "all-in" with you. And if the thread keeps up the attention you might find yourself with a few "hitchhikers" to pick up along the way. lol I'm sure they'll have boards in hand!!

Be sure to have your camera and video camera on standby and make posts through the trip. Especially once you're dad puts on the Captain Swag.

God Speed..................

Cobra Rob
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure those reading/posting on this thread are "all-in" with you. And if the thread keeps up the attention you might find yourself with a few "hitchhikers" to pick up along the way. lol I'm sure they'll have boards in hand!!

Be sure to have your camera and video camera on standby and make posts through the trip. Especially once you're dad puts on the Captain Swag.

God Speed..................

It's looking like I will be working in Austin for 3-4 weeks before I can take the vacation time after that so I am more than willing to pull anyone that wants a ride bringing surf board, could wakeboards, and sacks...I have several weekends and probably early work days it would be awesome to get a few people to go ride with.

I hear that Austin is not very appreciative of the sound system I have though.. there are no noise ordinences here.

sand2snow22
08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
These are what I'm talking about. If you don't have them, you should get them before you go. We can install them for you.

http://www.waterskis.com/650687-p/bearing_protector_05-07_tandem.htm

riptide
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
PMKKDX

Um, good point, I guess I meant west

Cobra Rob
08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
These are what I'm talking about. If you don't have them, you should get them before you go. We can install them for you.

http://www.waterskis.com/650687-p/bearing_protector_05-07_tandem.htm

Send me a PM with where you are at...I have only had the boat at Portland Ski boat.. I should probably do that and the tires at the very least. Know anything about aftermarket wheels and what fits?

Edit: Are you working at Pats new company?

kskonn
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
It's an 07... I know the wheel part that the hubs recess into is plastic because it's cracked but that is a non-functional part. I would assume from what you are saying they are probably the stock plastic... Haven't had any issues but haven't towed over like 30miles since I bought it though.

The tires are the stock goodyears, I was looking to replace them this year anyway, will get that done before I go anywhere for sure. I have the 14" rims, and tandem trailer. I was considering maybe a new wheel/tire combo. I would not mind the slightest increase in height either (driveway has a slight slope I scrape the hell out of with prop guard every time I move it). I am not sure how it will tow though and what my options are as far as sizes.
Everything else I hope is ok put a new ECU in the end of 2010 season. Just had oil changed at 210 hours. Has been pretty worry free last year and this, though might be worth finding out where the Houston/Austin MC dealer is LOL….

As for the AMAT stuff… They moved most, like 85% of their manufacturing from Austin to Singapore (HUGE tax benefit and some other stuff). Most of the buildings they had there are rented out and only a few things going on there. I called up some friends that still work over there. Not sure I would want to go back to work for them, but anything that got me back to Texas would not be turned down right now.

Never expected this thread to get so big.. Thanks for all of the information! Now I just wish work could figure out the dates so I could do some planning.

The best Mastercraft dealer hands down in either Austin or Houston is Texas Ski Ranch. They are located in between new Braunfels and San Marcos on IH35 north bound side. Most people I know from Houston bring their boats to TSR for all service needs.

gts-20
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
The best Mastercraft dealer hands down in either Austin or Houston is Texas Ski Ranch. They are located in between new Braunfels and San Marcos on IH35 north bound side. Most people I know from Houston bring their boats to TSR for all service needs.

+1 for TSR! We trailer there from Houston