PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Fuel Pump?

Jack's 89 Tri Star
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Any advice on where I can get the best price on a fuel pump for my 07 ProStar?
Engine was dying out for no reason, and would always restart. Now, no restart. Fuel Module has the following numbers on it:
Carter - Federal Mogu Fuel System, 71-341S Returnless Fuel System, 155182, 07M07A, CGB 98-002-3.

Thanks!

peason
07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Do a search on this topic - several good threads about replacement fuel pumps and steps taken to avoid them burning up!

Jack's 89 Tri Star
08-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Problem solved. Put in a new pump, not the whole module. I went to a local autoparts store and bought an "Airtex" pump (made in China) with the number E2044 on it. $75 for the pump. Not a bad job, took a little over an hour. The smaller black electrical lead was hard to get off, had to use a small screwdriver to bend it back into position. My 2007 has the corrugated hose on it, so I just used it over again. Don't understand all of the other features of the module: a small bag in the bottom, the black float at the bottom, and why it is so hard to put the filter on.

Thanks for all the advice, gave me confidence to attempt this.

Jack's 89 Tri Star
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Now I seem to have a different issue. The boat turns over way too many times before it finally starts. I wonder if there is a check vavle in the fuel pump that keeps the fuel pressure up. If I pull a skier, then shut it off when the skier is done, the boats starts within one second. If I sit in the water for 30 minutes, then try to start, it cranks for over 5 seconds before starting. It acts like an old carb engine, not a fuel injection engine.

mcparadise
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
QUOTE "Put in a new pump, not the whole module. I went to a local autoparts store and bought an "Airtex" pump (made in China) with the number E2044 on it. $75 for the pump."

You need to ensure your made-in-china fuel pump is marine grade? Otherwise you are placing you, your occupants, and boat in an unsafe conditon that isn't worth the risk. The relatively small extra cost is just like paying for insurance IMO.