PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Xstar Bunk spacing

jdeml
07-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Looked everywhere but cannot find a definent answer. I have a 2004 Xstar and just purchased a vertical lift from craftlander. Been putting it together and today will assembly the bunks. Only problem is the support bracing dosent look high enough. Think maybe 7" clearance. Those with Xstars what are yalls setups like. I want to totally miss the fins and have strut clearance. This is my first vertical lift so any help is greatly apprciated. I was thinking about just buying some aluminum and fabbing something up.

lukedeuce
07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Looked everywhere but cannot find a definent answer. I have a 2004 Xstar and just purchased a vertical lift from craftlander. Been putting it together and today will assembly the bunks. Only problem is the support bracing dosent look high enough. Think maybe 7" clearance. Those with Xstars what are yalls setups like. I want to totally miss the fins and have strut clearance. This is my first vertical lift so any help is greatly apprciated. I was thinking about just buying some aluminum and fabbing something up.

Could you get the correct spacing by measuring the prop guard and top of the bunk on your trailer?

jdeml
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Well my trailer has 4 bunks and the lift has (2) 10' bunks. Was wondering how wide and tall they should be. I could pull up then raise the lift missing the fins but Im leary of doing this. Was wondering how others set them up and how they sit on them etc.

atthelake
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Bunk width- You'll have to look under your boat and compare with the trailer bunks. The front bunks on your trailer stop short of hitting your intakes for either your engine fresh water, ballast or paddlewheel. The back ones on your trailer will most likely be the ones that you have no obstructions with along the bottom length of your boat and these are the settings you would want.
Bunk height- When on the trailer and on flat ground, I measured up from the ground to bottom of prop and then measured from the area where the boat will be sitting on the bunks to the ground. Subtracted ground to prop from ground to bunk placement and should be close. (ie ground to prop 6", ground to bunk area on boat 22" your bunk height should be at least 16" but I would make it 17" just to be sure)
W/O standing there looking at my boat and thinking back to the day I set mine up, I am pretty sure that is what I did. I know I have about a 1" clearance between my lift and prop. Hope this makes sense.

Jim@BAWS
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Well my trailer has 4 bunks and the lift has (2) 10' bunks. Was wondering how wide and tall they should be. I could pull up then raise the lift missing the fins but Im leary of doing this. Was wondering how others set them up and how they sit on them etc.

Screw (2) 2 x 10s by 20s together and mount vertically

jdeml
08-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Bunk width- You'll have to look under your boat and compare with the trailer bunks. The front bunks on your trailer stop short of hitting your intakes for either your engine fresh water, ballast or paddlewheel. The back ones on your trailer will most likely be the ones that you have no obstructions with along the bottom length of your boat and these are the settings you would want.
Bunk height- When on the trailer and on flat ground, I measured up from the ground to bottom of prop and then measured from the area where the boat will be sitting on the bunks to the ground. Subtracted ground to prop from ground to bunk placement and should be close. (ie ground to prop 6", ground to bunk area on boat 22" your bunk height should be at least 16" but I would make it 17" just to be sure)
W/O standing there looking at my boat and thinking back to the day I set mine up, I am pretty sure that is what I did. I know I have about a 1" clearance between my lift and prop. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all this info. Thats the way I was leaning but needed to hear it from someone experienced first. I have to fab up some new brackets as the ones they shipped with the lift will only go about 8". thinking of around 49" width or so and 17.5" high depending on what I can get away with at the current water depth being at its lowest now. Thanks again. Any pics?

jdeml
08-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Ok got everything done and it looks good. Ive been reading a lot on aluminum and would like some assurance. I went with aluminum angle (2 pieces on each side of the ibeam bolted together) for each bunk bracket. I am seen people use channel or square tubing but I went with angle since what came with the lift was flat bar and since I went higher I thought Id strengthen it. Think its like 2" x 2" and 3/8" thick. Someone please tell me this will be ok for a 5000# boat!!!

jdeml
08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Anyone?