PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have an 18 gallon tank on my boat???

RobertT
08-29-2005, 02:17 PM
My gas tank only holds 18 gallons, and the manual and spec sheet state that it holds 31 gallons.

What gives? Anyone else have that problem with a 197 or X7?

Ric
08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
My gas tank only holds 18 gallons, and the manual and spec sheet state that it holds 31 gallons.

What gives? Anyone else have that problem with a 197 or X7?

I will have to look at mine to be sure.
That guy named thomasr posted here about an undersized fuel tank (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=21645#post21645) on an 03 197

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Is 18 just when it backs up? I haven't filled our tank completely full since we bought the boat, so I dont know how much can be put in.

RobertT
08-29-2005, 02:25 PM
My fuel gauge is always perfect. When it says empty, its empty. It doesn't joke around, I have found out this unfortunate fact over five times now.

I always found it strange that the gauge would read full when I put three 5 gallon jugs in...so I tested it by running it almost empty then visually looking at the top of the tank while I filled it. With only a few quarts in the tank, it took 18.3 gallons. I had to take one of my fat friends and put him on one side of the boat to completely fill the tank.

18 gallons is ridiculous small.

Ric
08-29-2005, 02:28 PM
My fuel gauge is always perfect. When it says empty, its empty. It doesn't joke around, I have found out this unfortunate fact over five times now.

I always found it strange that the gauge would read full when I put three 5 gallon jugs in...so I tested it by running it almost empty then visually looking at the top of the tank while I filled it. With only a few quarts in the tank, it took 18.3 gallons. I had to take one of my fat friends and put him on one side of the boat to completely fill the tank.

while you're to the point where you can see the level, there is a capacity stamped on the port side top of the tank if I remember correctly

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 02:31 PM

You could always call up your dealer and see what they have to say about it....

RobertT
08-29-2005, 02:41 PM
You could always call up your dealer and see what they have to say about it....

I did, they are great and looking into it. The dealer had never heard anything like it, so I came here to get armed with the vast collective knowledge of this board 8p

Actually I thought I remembered reading something about this subject a few weeks ago and couldn't find it via a search....if I remember right the person said Mastercraft swapped it out for them.

18 gallons is too small, the marina is only open on the weekends, and I have been carrying gas cans down mid week all summer. A 31 gallon tank would solve that problem.

rodltg2
08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
i think my 04 may have a small tank too. always seem to be empty. lq9 gas guzzler doent help./

Stritt
08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
You are correct....small tank. 18-20 gallons......very small for the thirsty LQ9. MasterCraft knows about the gas tank capacity......Trust me. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I did, they are great and looking into it. The dealer had never heard anything like it, so I came here to get armed with the vast collective knowledge of this board 8p

Actually I thought I remembered reading something about this subject a few weeks ago and couldn't find it via a search....if I remember right the person said Mastercraft swapped it out for them.

18 gallons is too small, the marina is only open on the weekends, and I have been carrying gas cans down mid week all summer. A 31 gallon tank would solve that problem.
I thought I had this issue too, but resolved it myself. I thought I was doing something wrong after having thinking to myself what could cause this thing to overflow after putting in 20 gallons from E. Then it hit me at the pump the second time(on the water fill up). I had my wife and daughter move to the OPPOSITE side of the boat while filling and me out of the boat. Whallla, it took another 8 gallons. The first time I filled it on the water is the first time I had the issue. The second took 28 gallons. ALthough I like the 20 gallon fuel up better, the 28 gets me further.:) Just my experience with a 2003 X7.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Double post, WHOOPS!

RobertT
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
I have tried that, and actually made sure that there was not a huge bubble on the starboard side of the tank.

When I get home, I will look at the tank again and see if I can see a capacity stamp molded into it.

If I cant, I will drink a beer every ten minutes until I do and confirm.

RobertT
08-30-2005, 10:39 PM
I looked close at the metal stamped tag on the top of the tank...its not 18. I was wrong.

It is a 26 gallon tank. Certainly not the 31 gallon on the build sheet/spec sheet, but not 18 either.

The problem is that the strap system makes the top few inches for the most part unusable. You can fill it all you want, there is no way to get the air out of the top of the tank between the molded in low points.

Any ideas?

ski_king
08-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Got a photo of it?
Any way to move the vent to the top?....probobly not.

RobertT
08-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Yep, I did, but my wife is calling me to bed:)

Tomorrow.

mcprostar197
08-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Try sitting on the opposite side of the filler so that the boat is leaning one way and the air bubble can escape more out of the filler hole.

jpattigr
08-31-2005, 01:55 AM
Well this thread made me wonder what size my tank was in my 02 PT 197. I was cleaning the boat tonight and pulled the lid off the top of the tank and it was stamped as 27 gallons / 102 Liters. I have also never been able to get that much gas in it, max was about 20 gallons.

Interesting about weighting the one side to allow air to escape. this would be impossible to do on a trailer.

Oh Well, Great boat and it goes great and I have 240 trouble free hours on it!! :D

crdickey
08-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Well this thread made me wonder what size my tank was in my 02 PT 197. I was cleaning the boat tonight and pulled the lid off the top of the tank and it was stamped as 27 gallons / 102 Liters. I have also never been able to get that much gas in it, max was about 20 gallons.

Interesting about weighting the one side to allow air to escape. this would be impossible to do on a trailer.

Oh Well, Great boat and it goes great and I have 240 trouble free hours on it!! :D

I have an '03 PS-197 with a 20 gallon tank. Personally, I would not want the extra weight in the back. I ski on a slalom course 100% of the time and usually only run a half tank.

If you want top top it off, just take a couple 12" 2 x 4's and put them under the trailer wheel on the side of the filler cap. Helps keep the tank from burping out gas down the side.

RobertT
08-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys.

If I really wanted to add about 30% to the capacity, and also make it more convenient I could always add another fill location on the right side of the boat. By opening both, it would always vent/fill properly.

Will I do it...probably not.

rodltg2
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
i love having fill up options on both sides and a 41gal tank.

Ric
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
i love having fill up options on both sides and a 41gal tank.
I for one am jealous and may switch brands ;)