PDA

View Full Version : Help! It's happening...stains of death!!

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Help!

This as now been happening for a while and getting worse!! I don't know why it is happening but "the brown stains of death" have now appeared on the vinyl and have gotten worse over time.

I have tried many different things, but not sure how to get rid of it! It seems to be coming from the cover but am not sure. Boat is always dried before being covered.

Any input would be most helpful!

Thanks

http://i47.tinypic.com/ojqj44.jpg
starboard back seat

http://i49.tinypic.com/ae6xaf.jpg
Starboard transom seat

http://i46.tinypic.com/k1yp1l.jpg
Port back seat

http://i47.tinypic.com/10i9ric.jpg
Starboard bow cushion

http://i49.tinypic.com/plhll.jpg
Port bow cushion

sand2snow22
07-31-2012, 02:52 AM
Yep cover. Get a new quality cover, www.evolutioncovers.com. Those should come out if you leave the boat out in the sun for a day or two....

Kevin@MWMC
07-31-2012, 04:59 AM
+1 for leaving it out in the sun to get rid of the stains. Works wonders.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ntidsl
07-31-2012, 08:32 AM
I once had a sign of this starting when i didnt uncover my boat in the morning. Now i never go after 10am without taking the cover off. Seems to be a heat/sun/moisture combo. I am sure a new cover would fix it!!!!

BrooksfamX2
07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
I have the same issue, but not as bad. It has nothing to do with moisture on my boat. If I have the cover (factory) on in the heat, it happens. Heat seams to be the key. I have even put towels (dry) over the area's where the cover touches and it still happens. If I have the cover on for an hour in the sun, the brown starts to appear, but exposure to the sun will get rid of it in a couple hours. Does not happen with cover on overnight (in the dark).

It appears that once it gets into the upholstery, its always there.

It really frustrates me..............

nauti-dreamer
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM
That sucks! what color is the cover you use?

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
That sucks! what color is the cover you use?

It is the black factory mastercraft cover. I even had some white fabric sewed from the inside to reduce the heat exposure but to no avail.

I will leave it out under the sun, but I doubt that it will completely disappear. I have tried several products to get it off but no luck as well. Has anyone found a product (or a combination of products) that works.

Anybody know where to find a good cover for the X25. Evolution unfortunately does not make them.

Thanks,

H.

nauti-dreamer
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Do you really live in Lebenon? Could it be Dust in the air that gets 'worked' into the vinyl?

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Do you really live in Lebenon? Could it be Dust in the air that gets 'worked' into the vinyl?

Yup I do. No dust really around the Marina (boat is wetslipped). I am almost sure it is because of the heat.

nauti-dreamer
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
In that case what about using a standard "blue" tarp that is silver on the underside? I've used one periodically with the silver side facing up to reduce the heat to the interior of the boat while parking it outside my house. It looks ridiculous but it's more effective than the OEM black cover at "sheilding" from sun and Rain. Especially when the OEM cover loses it's water repellency after a few years.

BrooksfamX2
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
It is the black factory mastercraft cover. I even had some white fabric sewed from the inside to reduce the heat exposure but to no avail.

Same here, white felt material sewn in and no help at all............:mad:

aswinter05
07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
My factory cover did something similar to that except in black. Not as bad, however. Letting it sun out would be a great start.

We used StarBrite vinyl cleaner and polisher to get out the black marks from the cover. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll have that baby shining in no time.

In the meantime, it's definitely time to invest in a new cover. We ordered a "sunbrella" from skiboatcovers.com

willyt
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
i had a couple pink stains start to appear on my old boat. cincymc had a spray (think it was some sort of fungicide), sprayed it on and boom, pink was gone.

I actually have to keep my new star outside, and just got a full waterline/platform sunbrella cover for it (which is grey, doesnt get as hot). i also use damp-rid under the cover (seems to reduce the moisture alot).

nauti-dreamer
07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Has anyone ever thought of using "tyvek" as a secondary tarp (over or under the OEM cover)?

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
My factory cover did something similar to that except in black. Not as bad, however. Letting it sun out would be a great start.

We used StarBrite vinyl cleaner and polisher to get out the black marks from the cover. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll have that baby shining in no time.

In the meantime, it's definitely time to invest in a new cover. We ordered a "sunbrella" from skiboatcovers.com

Thanks Ill have give that a shot. What about 409? Magic eraser?

has anyone tried those?

scott023
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Yep cover. Get a new quality cover, www.evolutioncovers.com. Those should come out if you leave the boat out in the sun for a day or two....

I agree, most certainly the cover.

XtwentyNot
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Evolution told you they don't make them? I will never own any other cover and recommend anyone buying a new boat get the factory cover deleted and order from evolution.

Zep industrial cleaner is another good one, I like to treat the upholstery thoroughly with Lexol or some other high quality vinyl conditioner after I use it.

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Evolution told you they don't make them? I will never own any other cover and recommend anyone buying a new boat get the factory cover deleted and order from evolution.

Zep industrial cleaner is another good one, I like to treat the upholstery thoroughly with Lexol or some other high quality vinyl conditioner after I use it.

Sadly they dont. Will have to look for others.

Thrall
07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
I have the same issue, but not as bad. It has nothing to do with moisture on my boat. If I have the cover (factory) on in the heat, it happens. Heat seams to be the key. I have even put towels (dry) over the area's where the cover touches and it still happens. If I have the cover on for an hour in the sun, the brown starts to appear, but exposure to the sun will get rid of it in a couple hours. Does not happen with cover on overnight (in the dark).

It appears that once it gets into the upholstery, its always there.

It really frustrates me..............

Towels actually kept the brown stain off of mine, but it was only in the sun for a week covered like that.
It also seems to only be the white vinyl.
My buddy has an 06 X15, light grey vinyl, very light, looks white until you compare it to mine. He leaves it covered all summer with a MC cover, no stains.

Thrall
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks Ill have give that a shot. What about 409? Magic eraser?

has anyone tried those?

Magic eraser worked, sort of, with alot of scrubbing. I did that forst before I knew it would just come off in the sun. Also it's been said that magic eraser messes up the vinyl over time, like fine sandpaper.
Next I used, by accident, liquid car wax. Spilled a blob and it sat on the vinyl for a while...whitest spot on the seats in the whole boat!
Malco leather and vinyl cleaner worked well, but again, even a few hrs in the sun with the cover on brought back the brown.

Interesting point, my boat sat in the sun 24/7 for a couple years in Las Vegas before I bought it. Enough exposure to shred one cover and fade a 2nd cover, OE MC covers.
Orig owner said he didn't notice the brown discoloration for the first couple years.
My theory is that something form UV exposure or heat (mostly heat) degrades the vinyl to some extent and the cover accentuates the problem.

Would like to know if anyone with white upholstery that had the problem with a black MC cover now has a a gray or light colored cover and it the problem still exists.
OR, does anyone have white interior, 06-07 vintage that doesn't have this problem.

Bottom line though, some time in the open air and sun with no cover takes it right out....until you cover the boat again.

If I had to leave the boat out in the sun, I'd try propping the cover up so that it doesn't touch the sundeck or the front seats, as it only seems to happen where the cover is in contact with the vinyl, no where else. Maybe aly a bunch of life jackets, or cushions over the sun deck and top of the front seats.

XtwentyNot
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Just got off the phone with them, he has the pattern! It is for a power tower, so one would just need to confirm that the towers all mount the same?

Thrall
07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Sadly they dont. Will have to look for others.

Evolution WILL make you a cover. They probably just don't have the pattern. You have an X2, correct?
I live in Washington and contacted them about a new cover (ended up just getting mine repaired though). Cory said they didn't have the pattern, but that he'd come to my hosue to fit/measure for a cover.
I may not have the same tower as you , mines an 06, but if you wanted one bad enough, you could volunteer my boat for a pattern or find someone here near Seattle with the same style MC as yours. There's alot of MC's up here.

hragsarkissian
07-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Thrall,

Much appreciated. Unfortunately I have an X25. I contacted Cory and he mentioned that he does not have that pattern.

XtwentyNot
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Hope you read my post, he has it. What year and tower do you have?

hragsarkissian
08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Hope you read my post, he has it. What year and tower do you have?

Xtwenty, i accidently skipped it. But its a 2010 X25, the tower is the standard 4 point tower (not sure what it's called) but it was the only one back then. Not sure why he told me he didn't have it. I will contact him again.

http://i56.tinypic.com/10378d4.jpg

BrooksfamX2
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
With all the conversation, does anyone know the root cause? I have heard lots of theories. There seem to be several variables and not everyone has the problem. But it appears that once you get it, you cant get rid of it completely. tr6coug has an 07 X2 like mine and he does not have it. I have used his (OEM black) cover and I get the browning.

XtwentyNot
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
He has one for the 2011 with power tower, so any differences would need to be carefully measured/noted. My friend towed with his cover on his new x25 once and it rubbed the gel coat in numerous spots. He has never towed it covered again. Now he knows to never leave it covered in the sun. So he has a cover he can only use in his garage!

Jonb1822
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Can anyone confirm this is happening on the newer carbon fiber upholstery 2011 and newer? Also I have never used my cover but recently thought about using it to trailer to the lake which is about a hour away, so does anyone think it would happen while driving to the lake?

XtwentyNot
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I should say the cover tore the gel coat up badly and his previous boat was a Air Nautique that he always towed covered and never had issues, so it's not the user.

Jonb1822
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I should say the cover tore the gel coat up badly and his previous boat was a Air Nautique that he always towed covered and never had issues, so it's not the user.

Did it turn his seats brown?

mikeg205
08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Great thread to consider the usage of covers. Guess you can't win if you cover or not if you store outside - without extra maintenance.

curtish
08-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Can anyone confirm this is happening on the newer carbon fiber upholstery 2011 and newer? Also I have never used my cover but recently thought about using it to trailer to the lake which is about a hour away, so does anyone think it would happen while driving to the lake?

Can't speak to your first question, but I will answer your other. I would guess that you would not experience the heat buildup enough to do experience this trailering. Either way, conventional wisdom on this thread says to trailer without your cover so as to avoid any chance in the straps scuffing your gel. Also, dirt has a tendency to get trapped between the cover and the gel and you'll get scuff marks. Plus, it gives you a chance to show off your boat on the road. :D

XtwentyNot
08-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Boat is new and always garaged. He is buying an evolution cover so we won't be the guinea pigs on this one. If I would have known sooner he could have deleted the factory cover when he bought it. Even if evolution doesn't have a pattern for any MC owner I think we can get one!

XtwentyNot
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Forgot to add, Evolution covers are as nice as MC boats, I'm the type of person who notices things like the 5 axis mill work on the billet tower cans on his X25! Seen plenty of Evo covers.