PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Epic

Panda Cub
07-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I am very happy with my current boat and not looking for a "new" one, but I have always wondered about the Toyota Epics. Has anyone ever skied behind one, or driven one? I've always wondered what they are like. I know I am asking this question to a very biased group, but if anyone has a relatively unbiased opinion I'd greatly appreciate it. My view has always been: as a three event skier, I always felt they were most likely too big, is that true?

Kevin&Annie
07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
A friend of ours had the Epic 22. It was a really nice boat but performed at best like a runabout. The ski wake was huge even at 34mph. We couldn't even get it dialed in for surfing. It was very comfortable for cruising/hanging out in all day but for watersports.. nah. no thanks.

barefoot
07-30-2012, 02:35 PM
A buddy of mine flipped one! Yes, you read that right...capsized one doing a power turn. The rudder would 'lock' when doing a hard turn. The boat flipped when they hit an oncoming wave.

willyt
07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
actually floated with one of our buddies yesterday on a 22 toyota epic. i have an xstar, and it was really, really strange to see a boat that was just as long as mine with the engine in the middle...

anyway, my buddy donnie said it throws an alright wakeboard wake with 1100 lbs in the rear (he didnt sound too stoked on the wake). also said the lexus V-8 burns about a gallon or two a set (4 gph? i dont know, i'm double that in the star). he had a 99 with like 250 hours on it, looked pretty mint.

JohnE
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
A buddy of mine flipped one! Yes, you read that right...capsized one doing a power turn. The rudder would 'lock' when doing a hard turn. The boat flipped when they hit an oncoming wave.

As I was reading I thought you meant "flipped" and in boiught and sold. Wow that must have scared the hell out of him and any passengers. I assume nobidy was hurt?

jwroblew
07-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I've got a buddy selling his Epic, $10K, he just doesn't use it any more, he is getting up in age. I haven't skied it in a long time, but from what I remember the wake is taller and harder than PS197, and I only skied into 28' off at the time. Weighted it had a descent beginner wake board wake. Super deep sides so it was very cruiser friendly. Kind of drives like a tank , Overall not a bad beginner boat.

barefoot
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Nobody was hurt and the four people involved were thrown from the boat. Luckily nobody get killed. As he describes it, 'the band needed to break up' after that event. People began to go to AA and move away from the lake.

Panda Cub
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Good thing no one was hurt! Thanks for the input!