PDA

View Full Version : Will it sink?

Tom190driver
07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Saw a 1985 S&S that forgot to put the plug in taking on alot of water. He got the plug in but will it go to the bottom?

barefoot
07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I thought (and I could be wrong) that there was enough foam to keep it afloat, even if it was completely full of water.

Hope the bulge pump worked!

scott023
07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
If the plug is in, the bilge pump should make quick work of getting the water back to where it belongs...

FrankSchwab
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
A lot of comments about this question over the years...

I believe they were designed to float, even if completely full of water, when new. However, I've heard enough stories on this board over the years of completely saturated below-deck foam, and degraded foam simply from age, that I wouldn't take a bet on either side of the question for a 30-year old boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
This is clipped from a MC brochure illustrating the level flotation.

JohnE
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Monte answered this question for us a few years ago.

Granted it isn't a 19 skier.

Lumbergh
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Pics too small of sunken boat. What is it?

scott023
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
I think you can sink anything that floats, but the OP wanted to know if it would sink after the hull plugs were in. I asssume the bilge pump will take care of any water in the boat, no?

JohnE
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Pics too small of sunken boat. What is it?

One of our members here had his boat sink at his dock after a big rain. Tristar 220. I forget the year. I'll try to find larger pics. Those were on my work computer.

Matt_fdc
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
My plug ripped out 3 weeks ago, and I didn't notice it until I pulled in for gas. It likely fell off completely when I slowed down at the dock. 2007 X2 with 2 plugs (one accessed from the compartment by the driver, one in the back of the boat). The bow plug is the one that went.

Your boat will not sink. My bilge was more than capable of keeping up with the water, which didn't even get to the engine. Scared the crap outta me though. All I did was plug it with foam off a water wienie, which held until I pulled the boat and had the bung replaced.

ahhudgins
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM

I had the exact same MC and I almost lost it one night during a bad storm. I woke up about 2 AM and we were having a heavy rain that went on for hours and all I could think about was the boat. I went down to the dock and found that my cover had ripped wide open and the water was almost at the level in the picture. I got the water pumped out with an electric pump and put the boat on the trailer in the middle of the storm. The next morning I discovered that the bilge pump did cut on, but the hose leading out of the hull had gotten brittle and snapped off. The perfect storm: Heavy rain, torn cover, busted bilge hose.

JohnE
08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I had the exact same MC and I almost lost it one night during a bad storm. I woke up about 2 AM and we were having a heavy rain that went on for hours and all I could think about was the boat. I went down to the dock and found that my cover had ripped wide open and the water was almost at the level in the picture. I got the water pumped out with an electric pump and put the boat on the trailer in the middle of the storm. The next morning I discovered that the bilge pump did cut on, but the hose leading out of the hull had gotten brittle and snapped off. The perfect storm: Heavy rain, torn cover, busted bilge hose.

No confidence in the level flotation?

TN X-45
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I seem to remember either Mastercraft or Supra used to guarantee that you couldn't sink it. This was probably in the early nineties.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

thatsmrmastercraft
08-02-2012, 12:12 AM

That will certainly raise the heart rate and blood pressure for a while.

ahhudgins
08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
No confidence in the level flotation?

Didn't want to wait and find out! Maybe I can pull the plug on my neighbors 78 and see what happens.

TN X-45
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Look for a BU

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mzimme
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

You know... that's pretty dang cool...

Although, at that point the boat is pretty much totaled anyway. Motor is probably toast, trans, all electrical..

thatsmrmastercraft
08-02-2012, 11:46 AM
You know... that's pretty dang cool...

Although, at that point the boat is pretty much totaled anyway. Motor is probably toast, trans, all electrical..

Depends upon how long it stays wet and how quickly things get dried and flushed. Plenty of work ahead on a deal like that though.

strad
08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
I seem to remember either Mastercraft or Supra used to guarantee that you couldn't sink it. This was probably in the early nineties.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2 I remember hearing something like that from a ski school instructor (and also local MC rep I think -- I know she had one of those half-boats they used at shows to demonstrate that there was no wood in the hull and she would haul it around to demonstrate). My mom was taking a one-day ski seminar. Dunno where that lake was but I know it was in Illinois, and it must have been about 1984. I was 11 at the time lol. That visit pretty much started my love affair with MC btw -- those boats made a HUGE impression on me back then.

curtish
08-27-2012, 02:43 AM
My plug ripped out 3 weeks ago, and I didn't notice it until I pulled in for gas. It likely fell off completely when I slowed down at the dock. 2007 X2 with 2 plugs (one accessed from the compartment by the driver, one in the back of the boat). The bow plug is the one that went.

Your boat will not sink. My bilge was more than capable of keeping up with the water, which didn't even get to the engine. Scared the crap outta me though. All I did was plug it with foam off a water wienie, which held until I pulled the boat and had the bung replaced.

What do you mean your plug "ripped out"? Do you have any pictures of the damage?