PDA

View Full Version : Hard Steering

rpg
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
have a '83 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. Recently it's been very tough to steer in the slalom course.

New steering cable replaced last year. I'm thinking of the rudder and maybe it needs grease, but I could find no grease fittings on the rudder itself. (under the boat).

Is there a procedure to grease the rudder and can you recommend the proper grease to use?

thanks so much,

RPG

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
You need to pull out the rear floor section to get to the grease zerk.

rpg
07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Peter, thanks so much.

Rick

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Peter, thanks so much.

Rick

No problem Rick. Note that the grease zerk will not have a spring-loaded check ball. When you grease it, wrap a rag around the grease fitting and work the steering wheel back and forth a few times, then give it a little more grease and work it in again. Should fix you right up.

rpg
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
yes sir, thanks again. I wanted to point out this is my ski buddy's boat. A phenomenal boat in the course and to ski behind, despite it's age.

I have a 2002 MB Sports 190. On mine, when you lift the motor box, there's a remote grease nipple connected to the rudder assy. by a three foot long braided, stainless steel line. Very easy to service.

I'm sure we'll get my buddy's boat steering like new again. Thanks so much for your time.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
yes sir, thanks again. I wanted to point out this is my ski buddy's boat. A phenomenal boat in the course and to ski behind, despite it's age.

I have a 2002 MB Sports 190. On mine, when you lift the motor box, there's a remote grease nipple connected to the rudder assy. by a three foot long braided, stainless steel line. Very easy to service.

I'm sure we'll get my buddy's boat steering like new again. Thanks so much for your time.

Nice touch.